Constantly seeing no alerts in database - even after restoring via 'repair/regenerate'

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

This problem has been driving me nuts.

Running stable version 5.6.6.1.

I constantly login to UI3 and discover that no alerts are found at all.
When I log into my BI machine, sure enough, I find ZERO alerts in the database, despite the fact that I can scroll through them manually in the timeline.

So I right click on the alerts pane, and go to 'database'-> 'Repair/regenerate'.

This takes forever, and eventually restores all of the alerts.

However, a few days later, SAME THING HAPPENS.

How can I stop this for constantly occurring?? It makes the entire system practically unusable since I need to regularly check alerts on mobile and I can't until I come home and run this extremely time consuming task because the system decides that they don't exist.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I had problems with mine too. Finally broke down and deleted everything and just started from scratch again and it's been fine since.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That would take me forever.

Please tell me that's not the only option. Surely there's something I can look at. A setting, config, etc?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That would take me forever.

Please tell me that's not the only option. Surely there's something I can look at. A setting, config, etc?
have you tried completely deleting the DB folder and letting it rebuild? There was an issue with some versions of 566..you might want to update to the latest stable version.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, sorry... To be clear I meant I wiped all of the clips and let it rebuild database. Not all of BI.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm also seeing frequent DB errors on 5.6.7x and 5.6.8.x, even shortly after a full Repair/Regenerate procedure. I know it was a "one time" issue several releases back (two or three months ago), but it's annoying that it has regressed again and become seeminly more severe this time around.
What exactly are the recommended steps this time?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, sorry... To be clear I meant I wiped all of the clips and let it rebuild database. Not all of BI.
Ok so I logged in today and it happened, AGAIN.

Can you please tell me what I should do to achieve this? Do I just select the 'all clips', then CTRL+A then delete all of them?
If so, then what?

Sick to death of having to repair/regenerate every single time I want to view a clip.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Can you please tell me what I should do to achieve this? Do I just select the 'all clips', then CTRL+A then delete all of them?
If so, then what?

Sick to death of having to repair/regenerate every single time I want to view a clip.
As stated in Post 4:

Stop BI and delete the DB folder and then reopen BI

And then rollback to a stable version - what is in this update that you need or want that isn't in a 5.6.4.. version

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

If so, then what?

You must move up to the latest version of Blue Iris or revert back to a version before 5.6.6. There's an issue with the database there's another post on this for the user received feedback directly from the developer. In the latest version he reversed some of the changes that were causing these issues.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok weird.

Without doing anything at all, I logged into my BI machine this morning and all my alerts are now restored and working as they should be.
FYI I updated to 5.6.7.3 a few days ago.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Same issue here, I updated to 5.6.X.X a week ago and every version had this problem, I went through a few

I went back to 5.5.96 and its stable. I'm not going to update for a long while

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys,

It happened again. I'm not sure how long this has been going on for because I haven't had to check clips in quite some time.
I've noticed that the BI stats shows that store is 'overallocated' whenever this happens, however whenever I regenerate the DB after I've deleted the db folder, all storage stats are reported accurately. FYI I'm using a 6TB WD Purple CCTV SATA drive for 'new' and 'alerts'. The db folder is on my system drive, which is a fast M.2 SSD. I'm running 'latest stable' 5.7.0.5.

This is what it shows before I delete the db folder and regenerate. Mind you, it doesn't regenerate on its own upon reopening BI. It just says 'no alerts found' until I manually regenerate.
1678261486431.png
And this is what it shows AFTER I delete the contents of the db folder and regenerate.
1678318210415.png

Here's my settings.
1678261645611.png
1678261670978.png

Why does this keep happening and how can I STOP THIS once and for all??

Last edited:

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
have you tried completely deleting the DB folder and letting it rebuild? There was an issue with some versions of 566..you might want to update to the latest stable version.
Tried this (as above) and it only fixes things temporarily.
P.S. I was on the 'latest' version after you suggested it to me earlier in this thread.

Can you suggest a permanent fix please? This system is my father's and I don't want to have to keep logging in to regenerate the database every week.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It can be seen here that recent versions of BI has been buggy in the database department.

Send an email to BI support.

Does your father's system need to be on the latest and greatest?

Many of us are running on an older version. Why update and potentially break what was working until they offer something you need? I am still on the latest stable version with Deepstack. Until I see people not having issues with CodeProject, I am holding tight on what works.

If you stay on the leading edge and update or auto update even to the most stable version, it is referred to here as the bleeding edge LOL and you may get burned with a buggy update. It is simple to rollback, but unless you want to be essentially a beta tester, turn off auto updates or only update when something is added that you really want and see here that folks aren't having issues.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you stay on the leading edge and update or auto update even to the most stable version, it is referred to here as the bleeding edge LOL
That's really disappointing, since you'd think that 'latest stable version' would intuitively mean that it would have no obvious bugs that make it unusable.

This system does use CPAI, so it needs to be on a stable version that is at least compatible with it.

Considering this seems to be a widespread issue, is it even being treated with priority?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's really disappointing, since you'd think that 'latest stable version' would intuitively mean that it would have no obvious bugs that make it unusable.

This system does use CPAI, so it needs to be on a stable version that is at least compatible with it.

Considering this seems to be a widespread issue, is it even being treated with priority?
You must understand that there are many thousands of BI users and thus thousands of permutations with respect to systems or drivers. If 10 or 50 have a specific problem reported here it doesnt mean everyone is having this issue. If you want something addressed email support. If you and anyone else having this issue are going to rely on the handful of folks who email support it will not get resolved.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried this (as above) and it only fixes things temporarily.
P.S. I was on the 'latest' version after you suggested it to me earlier in this thread.

Can you suggest a permanent fix please? This system is my father's and I don't want to have to keep logging in to regenerate the database every week.
I fought this problem from upgrading to version 5.6.6.1 on 3 Jan until I upgraded to 5.6.9.2 on 25 Jan and followed the upgrade by shutting down BI, deleting the db directory along with all of its contents, and then starting BI and letting it recreate the db directory.
I have continued upgrading as versions came out that had features/fixes for CP.AI. I'm currently on 5.7.0.5 and haven't seen a single db corruption since the db directory was recreated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the biggest issue is that the problems are not consistent.

Many people are running 5.6.x.x. and newer just fine with no problems, but many people also can't catch a break and have had issues with every update since 5.6.x.x.

So is it a hardware compatibility error; is it driver issues, is it the constant updates have worked bugs into some systems; is it a setup with a particular system that is causing the errors; or some combination. There are just way too many variations of people's machines that could be causing an issue.

Some have had luck blowing it out and reinstalling Windows and reinstalling BI fresh with the latest stable and build from scratch without importing cameras.

It is treated as a priority IF the BI developer is aware of it and can replicate the issue in his system or remote in to someone and see the issue. The only way he will know about is if people send in a support ticket. Ken doesn't read these forums.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Happy to write an email to support. I guess my question is: Has the developer said that they can reproduce the issue on their end?

Also, why does my BI status keep saying that my drive is overallocated when the issue happens? Are my settings wrong?