Connecting an NVR online without a cable

Derald

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to set up a Reolink RLC-410 to any compatible NVR. I can connect the POE cable from the camera to the NVR, but I won't be able to connect the NVR to the router via a cable.

I am not too keen to use a wifi extender because it would probably reduce the connection speeds to the other systems in the house. If I were to use a powerline adapter by connecting the IP cams to the NVR via poe connection, then connecting the NVR to a powerline adapater, and finally connecting the router to a powerline adapter, would it provide online connectivity for the NVR and power/data connection for the cameras?

If not, what would be a solution? I really just want remote access to the NVR stream / library. I guess a wifi bridge connected to the NVR via ethernet would work better without causing speed drops for our other systems?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess a wifi bridge connected to the NVR via ethernet would work better without causing speed drops for our other systems?
I'd go with a quality power line adapter like this one here.

...some NVR is very easy, you just need use the phone app to scan the NVR's QRCode, but for some others, you have to go into the router, do port forwarding etc.
Please...say "No" to P2P (the QR code) and "no" to port forwarding, "yes" to VPN.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
is p2p any safer then port forwarding?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is p2p any safer then port forwarding?
Some, especially the manufacturers, will say "yes" but when you consider that in the case of p2p you're using (most often) a foreign server and you've turned over complete access to your camera....I'd have to say "no'.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok I hear you. I don't p2p cams, but I have on some nvr.... VPN always safer!