Confused about correct firmware file

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to the camera web gui the model number I have XC-2142FWDI.
My invoice says I bought a 2142FWD-I-4MP WDR

At Hikvision USA site there is no 'XC-2142', but there is 'DS-2142'.
The XC/DS prefix confuses me. I downloaded the firmware for DS-2142 but I don't really know if that is correct for my cameras, the last thing I want to do is brick it. The filename is DS-2x22FWD,2x42FWD_5.4.1_160525.zip

So is that the correct file for my XC-2142?

I bought the cameras from Nelly's.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
According to the camera web gui the model number I have XC-2142FWDI.
My invoice says I bought a 2142FWD-I-4MP WDR

At Hikvision USA site there is no 'XC-2142', but there is 'DS-2142'.
The XC/DS prefix confuses me. I downloaded the firmware for DS-2142 but I don't really know if that is correct for my cameras, the last thing I want to do is brick it. The filename is DS-2x22FWD,2x42FWD_5.4.1_160525.zip

So is that the correct file for my XC-2142?

I bought the cameras from Nelly's.
I'd contact them and try to not brick your camera

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As OP, I asked this question 4 yrs ago.
In case anyone is curious, the most recent firmware update for my 2142's was v5.5.82_190220_0 dated Dec 2019. It took me a very long time to discover that the updates for the camera are in files referred to as "IPC R6 Platform".
My 7716 NVR is updated to v3.4.5 Build 170518
There may be newer updates but I have not been able to determine if they are for the USA version or not. I'm not willing to take the risk of experimenting.
The NVR update enforces a password entry after a day or two which I find annoying. So annoying that I'm tempted to disable the pw. My NVR is not visible to the outside world and I don't use HikVision cloud service so I don't need my long complex pw.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kind of like telling someone to google it when they ask you a question.
Actually in this case what he said is correct.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain Dahua PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1614546148413.png