Comparing ipc-hdw5231r-ze and ipc-hdw2231r-zs and open to other options

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am planning to put up 8 cameras with four on the corners of the house and four more at the doors. I would like to have audio at 2 of the doors.

I would like to understand the difference between ipc-hdw5231r-ze and ipc-hdw2231r-zs. I see that the 5231 has audio and the 2231 does not. Are there other differences?

We also have outdoor lighting at each door that is one all night (but not super bright) and motion flood lights on the corners. Those lights will remain in use.

Finally are either of these cameras better suited to seeing a long ways? We are out in the country so there are virtually no restrictions for where people could approach from either on foot or by auto.

Thanks
Jeff

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found another forum post that mentions the 2231 has only on substream as well. I can't really see a use case for three difference resolutions as I really want the cameras for a dterrent and watching the night life that stops by in the evening. I need it for the additional sense of security --- THanks Again

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently installed 4 of each at a friends house. Other than the 5231 having a built in mic there’s virtually no difference in image quality.

Depends on what you mean by “see” a long ways. The camera can "See" 400+ft, but usable video will be more in the 30-45ft range. Those turrets aren’t made for long distance, think facial ID around the house.

It comes down to the level of detail you wish to see at a given distance, as you zoom in further, your fied of view decreases rapidly.

Here's an example:
The one camera used for Overview is the bullet version of the 5231 turret. It "sees" a long way, but loses detail the further out you get.
The other camera with a stronger zoom, is focused on an area 120ft from the camera specifically to catch high detail (license plates) but with a very narrow field of view.

This is more the view you'll get with the normal 5231 or 2231 turrets.