clips vs alerts, and fine tuning motion sensing

dockdoc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First question... what is the difference between clips and alerts in BI? I currently have 7 cameras, and they're set to record when triggered by motion only (no continuous recording). They're all geared around Camera 1, settings are screenshotted below.

By default BI shows me stored Clips for a given camera, and there will be a series of clips there. However when I switch over to "Alerts" there are far more recordings that I can now see which have been stored. I can't figure out what the distinction is between these Clips and Alerts, do I have something set up incorrectly?
1.png2.png3.pngclips.pngalerts.png

Second question... I use BI mostly for several outdoor cameras, but we have one installed in my baby daughter's room to use as a baby monitor. I have the motion sensor set up to be very sensitive, with a good pre-recording buffer and yet for some reason it's still not picking up on things. Like this morning early she crawled out of her crib and we went back to see how she did it and there was no alert / clip at all. Thoughts?

motion.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Alerts are not recordings. They are pointers to locations inside clips where an event was detected. On the baby cam change the algorithim from edge vector to simple. Also you must disable all smart codecs or + codecs in the camera settings and match the iframe interval to the fps or at most double it.

dockdoc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alerts are not recordings. They are pointers to locations inside clips where an event was detected.
Trying to understand this... when I click on an "Alert" it shows me a video clip, but when I click on "Clips" I don't see those same video clips (a couple might be there but it seems randomly different.

I'll try the simple motion sensor algorithm thanks.

dockdoc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah I think I understand now - I wasn't paying attention to the length of the clips, some of them are 7 hours long, and hold all of the alerts for that time period. I get it now.