Clips suddenly stopped appearing in the clips-list?

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
from this morning there are no more recordings for my 12 cameras in the BI-app list. I can see recordings in the web-interface so I know it is working but go into the server, open BI and nothing new. Tried all-clips, new etc. Nothing. And nothing changed, to the best of my knowledge anyways. I am running the latest "stable" release. Any idea?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let me guess, you just did the update? Lot's of threads about this

You need to repair/regenerate the database.

And then do not update BI unless they add something you want or you want to be a beta tester...

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well no - I did not, but it may have. Though my system is set to "critical and highly stable updates only" I noticed it was not running as I had left it earlier today. I had to launch it again. SO I guess this is what happened. I am really trying to like BI5 but struggling to remain calm....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turn off all updates and life becomes simpler and you can like BI and remain calm. Many of us are running older versions, some even still run Version 5.

I am on an older BI5 that still uses Deepstack. I am not ready to make the change to the newest AI, so until BI adds something I really want or need, I will remain on my version that is working fine for me. In the past two years or so, I only updated when substreams became available and when Deepstack was introduced. All of the other updates didn't include anything I needed, so I remained on the version that was working for me.

As an alternative, if you remember what version you were on, you can simply rollback and then turn off all updates.

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Turn off all updates and life becomes simpler and you can like BI and remain calm. Many of us are running older versions, some even still run Version 5.

I am on an older BI5 that still uses Deepstack. I am not ready to make the change to the newest AI, so until BI adds something I really want or need, I will remain on my version that is working fine for me. In the past two years or so, I only updated when substreams became available and when Deepstack was introduced. All of the other updates didn't include anything I needed, so I remained on the version that was working for me.

As an alternative, if you remember what version you were on, you can simply rollback and then turn off all updates.
Gratitude for your help, the repair worked - updates are firmly OFF now!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am really trying to like BI5 but struggling to remain calm....
Switch to an NVR. There will only be two or three updates in a two year span (just bug fixes, no new features to worry about) then it will be deemed end of life with no more updates so it's smooth sailing from there.

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Switch to an NVR. There will only be two or three updates in a two year span (just bug fixes, no new features to worry about) then it will be deemed end of life with no more updates so it's smooth sailing from there.
Actually i have a HikVision NVR - and it is horrible. The noise is insane (residential issue) and it is clunky at best. I am looking at the Synology DVA1622 NVR to be honest, and might pull the trigger on that in the new year, after bonus-payout.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually i have a HikVision NVR - and it is horrible. The noise is insane (residential issue) and it is clunky at best. I am looking at the Synology DVA1622 NVR to be honest, and might pull the trigger on that in the new year, after bonus-payout.
Yes, definitely go with that, the reviews are superb, see Amazon and b&h. They have no issues smooth as butter, they had to shut down their support forums because no one needed it. Best thing is that it will save you money on cams because of the severe fps limitations..80 fps total and 8 channels total at 4k. So if you want 8 cams they can only be 10fps max. 120fps and 12 cams max at 5mp...

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well the thing is - sarcasm aside - I personally would rather have at least some kind of recording, when really needed, than nothing. You see it is not uncommon to open BI for evidence and find a cryptic message and no recordings at all. I do use the free Synology "Surveillance Station" for a few critical cameras and while it rudimentary at best - it is 100% reliable. Which BI is not. At least not since v5 was released.

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well the thing is - sarcasm aside - I personally would rather have at least some kind of recording, when really needed, than nothing. You see it is not uncommon to open BI for evidence and find a cryptic message and no recordings at all. I do use the free Synology "Surveillance Station" for a few critical cameras and while it rudimentary at best - it is 100% reliable. Which BI is not. At least not since v5 was released.
Facts

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do use the free Synology "Surveillance Station" for a few critical cameras and while it rudimentary at best - it is 100% reliable. Which BI is not. At least not since v5 was released.
For the record, I've been running BI v3, v4 and now v5 and have never missed anything, no cryptic messages, etc. since 2014. But then again, this is v5.4.7.11 from 6/11/21.
I've stayed away from many updates since this was upgraded to it's version level because it works for me and does all I ask of it. I don't try to fix things that aren't broken. Of course, as is always the case, YMMV. :cool:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same here - I have had all my recordings since I began the BI journey.

In all likelihood if something is missing, it is operator error and changing settings or not having settings configured correctly.

How many people have we seen that set the file retention for days instead of space for example. Or someone that sets the space as 100GB and then wonders why their 4TB drive isn't filling up....

And yes, some of the recent updates have lost the past alert clips and a rebuild of the DB is needed, but all of the files are still there, just not the thumbnail alert clips...

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Someone wise once said something about assumptions. I am not talking about the obvious. I have 2TB of high-speed primary NVMe drive that offloads to 18TB of available FIFO space. And it is 90% used at any time. No I am talking about this morning for example, when I opened BI and it had a "service error". Had to reboot and hours of recordings were simply not there. Now yes there are discussions about not upgrading to the latest version - but that in itself is an admission of issues. And yes my old BI4 server on Windows Server 2008R2 has never missed a beat. Anyhow if anyone dares to say anything negative about BI here, you get flame-grilled. It should be renamed from IPCamTalk to BIfanTalk. Does not encorage healthy debate at al.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is 100 percent user error. I manage over 20 blue iris machines. They all run smoothly. Literally thousands of other users on this forum dont have your problem. Let me guess, you have auto update set to on, you installed BI on a dirty windows machine rather than a clean install, or use your machine for other tasks.

Like i said, synology ALWAYS records, never fails. Here is the evidence. synology faling to record cameras - Google Search

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone wise once said something about assumptions. I am not talking about the obvious. I have 2TB of high-speed primary NVMe drive that offloads to 18TB of available FIFO space. And it is 90% used at any time. No I am talking about this morning for example, when I opened BI and it had a "service error". Had to reboot and hours of recordings were simply not there. Now yes there are discussions about not upgrading to the latest version - but that in itself is an admission of issues. And yes my old BI4 server on Windows Server 2008R2 has never missed a beat. Anyhow if anyone dares to say anything negative about BI here, you get flame-grilled. It should be renamed from IPCamTalk to BIfanTalk. Does not encorage healthy debate at al.
If you ask how to help yourself you would get a proper answer. If you simply trash the software that we know is fucking awesome and the most comprehensive and customizable in the industry and a fraction of commercial packages, then yes you will get push back.

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No I turned auto-update off when I realised it was causing issues about a month back. It was actually you who recommended that in another thread I posted on about the DB repair. And no I did not install BI on a "dirty machine. Again on the advice of yourself I built a new clean high-end system from scratch, And I am not "trashing" your software - i have been using it since November 2014. On three different systems and at 2 clients. Please stop assuming you know who I am and what I am running. And push and rant all you want, if that makes you feel better about yourself.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No I turned auto-update off when I realised it was causing issues about a month back. It was actually you who recommended that in another thread I posted on about the DB repair. And no I did not install BI on a "dirty machine. Again on the advice of yourself I built a new clean high-end system from scratch, And I am not "trashing" your software - i have been using it since November 2014. On three different systems and at 2 clients. Please stop assuming you know who I am and what I am running. And push and rant all you want, if that makes you feel better about yourself.
Its not my software. I dont make it I dont sell it or make a dime of any blue iris sales. You are an inept fool if you cant get it running properly. So PLEASE use something else. Ring cams perhaps.