Clips no longer recognized as being part of BI

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I know, I know... being on the bleeding edge causes problems. Willing to take that risk in an attempt to help flush bugs...

That said, with the latest update (5.6.3.2, UI 223 and 224) I can no longer see most of my clips/alerts. They are there, as I can see them if I open the .BVR file from file explorer, or use the timeline view.

But the DB doesn't seem to reflect the clips as belonging to BI. In fact, the 9TB of stored video shows as "other files", resulting in an overallocation.

1667478931084.png

I've deleted/renamed the db, and had it regenerate and that's all I get.

I'm about to fire off an email to Ken but figured I'd check to see if I'm the only one experiencing this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once you delete the DB, all the old alerts prior to the delete are gone and you will only see new ones moving forward. You still keep the BVR files.

Try emptying the recycle bin - that can take up a lot of storage as it has to keep the files in the event someone tries to restore them.

Also make sure that drive doesn't have a system restore setup on it - that can eat up over half a drive quick saving various system restore points.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Having regularly deleted and recompiled the db, I'm familiar with the loss of alerts. but Clips should always remain, and even they don't show in the list on either the console or UI3. This is different. Recycling bin is empty. The 9.8TB of data is legit and all the .bvr files that SHOULD be listed as clips, but for some reason BI does not recognize them as being part of the system. If I click on them in the file explorer, they open in BI and play just fine - right up until current time.

I just sent an email to Ken. I'm going to roll back a few versions to see if it's update related.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, downgrading resolved the issue. Interestingly, the disk was showing 0% used with the latest version, and 90% when I downgraded.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeesh. I forgot to update to 5.6.3.2 and now I think I won't do it.

I wish Ken would start using a real, mature database engine. It would be more flexible, get corrupted way less often, and most importantly it would be possible to keep using the database for normal tasks (like recording new video) even while a regenerate is happening.

Vanterax

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a similar issue where the clips for individual cameras in the UI3 web interface would not show, but they do show when viewing the live feed of all cameras. Just not for the individual cameras. Downgrading solved the issue.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I also had just one cam that would not show any alerts OR clips in the BI clip viewer, yet they were all on drive. Going back to 5.6.3.1 issue goes away. Interesting thing it was just one of my 16 cams. I tried messing with it and also tried on my demo machine, both did not like the update.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Interesting to see others with similar gremlins. My brother is running on latest w/o issues so whatever it is, it must be intermittent. Ken just asked for teamviewer access to poke around. I'll post back here once we know more.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Look like he may have found/fixed it already with 3.3.

"Please test with 5.6.3.3, as this may be fixed already today. Take care Ken "

trying it now.

ETA: Confirmed, it fixed the issue. All clips/alerts visible on latest.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Look like he may have found/fixed it already with 3.3.

"Please test with 5.6.3.3, as this may be fixed already today. Take care Ken "

trying it now.

ETA: Confirmed, it fixed the issue. All clips/alerts visible on latest.
yes, fixed my issue as well :)

knavekid

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having this same issue. My Blue Iris computer had a pending Windows update and required a restart yesterday. When I opened Blue Iris following the restart, the update popup appeared and I selected the latest critical or highly stable update, version 5.6.2.10. The next time I went to review a recent clip, the newest one shown was a month old. I restarted Blue Iris but the problem remained. I restarted the computer, and the problem remained. I updated to the latest Blue Iris version, 5.6.3.7, but the problem remained.

Then I found this topic. So I downgraded to version 5.6.0.11. This did not change anything. The most recent version I tried and am running now is 5.6.1.3. It still only shows clips that are over one month old.

What additional steps must I perform? Should I leave it until tomorrow after the database compact/repair has run overnight? Is there a manual step I need to take?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Leaving it alone and compact/repair overnight won't fix it.

You need to repair/regenerate the database.

And then do not update BI unless they add something you want or you want to be a beta tester...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For best results, turn off Windows updates and turn off BI auto updates, and stick with ONLY the BI updates that are marked Stable.
But as he ^^^^^ said, it's best to not update just because, stable updates aren't always actually stable.

knavekid

n3wb
Reaction score
Leaving it alone and compact/repair overnight won't fix it.

You need to repair/regenerate the database.

And then do not update BI unless they add something you want or you want to be a beta tester...
Thanks for this guidance. The database repair and regenerate corrected the problem!