Clips Error - is more than 200,000 clips still an issue in BI5

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So in the last couple of days I have been getting the warning triangle for clips in the BI messages and have been trying to figure out the issue because I saw nothing that would tell me something is wrong.

I did a search here and came up with a couple of threads mentioning that greater than 200,000 clips will give a warning.

These threads were from years ago for BI4. The user manual for v4 said "The number of files in the folder. It is considered a warning condition if this number surpasses 200,000." But this is not in v5 user manual.

My combine and cut is set to anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours depending on the camera - I staggered them in the event of a restart, BI wouldn't be trying to cut/combine all at same time - maybe that isn't an issue, but just trying to keep CPU time down as well.

So I guess given the sizes of hard drives these days and the number of cameras someone could have, what is the major issue with greater than 200,000 files - is it still an issue or is it a left-over warning from the version 4 days?

Clips Error

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just from what I have read on this site that it is a good thing to do. Plus, the program defaults to cut/combine every 8 hours, but people have suggested going smaller as it really has an impact as the drive starts to approach the "capacity" limits that you need to have the files small enough that they don't use all the available headroom left on the drive trying to write and delete the oldest file at the same time.

From help file:

The Combine or cut video option exists to combine events into fewer files when recording when triggered, but it also cuts video into segments for the other recording modes. For when triggered, un-check this option in order to have one file recorded for each event. Although you may choose whether or not to create new files on a timed basis, you must always specify a maximum size for a file before a new one is created.

and countless others.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah right, didn’t realise it but I’m also doing this, have mine set to 1hour or 1Gb.