Choosing Dahua firmware from a list of firmwares with no further explanation

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys....

Sometimes you will find yourself having to choose between different things in life. That can be a challenge but even harder if you don't know what each option means. Would you like to have "lkjh" or a "kjhlkjuy" ??!

Today I was just looking for a new firmware for my DH-SD5A445XA-HNR (nordic market, not chinese) currently on V2.800.0000009.3.R.P9.4512.UN.NR, Build Date: 2020-03-31, and I got this list:

Capture.PNG

So I have to choose between
  • DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.15.R.190802
  • General_SD5AXXX-HN_MCU_V2.401.0000000.64.R.200219
  • DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.810.0000017.0.R.201123
  • DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.810.0000017.0.R.201123
  • General_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.810.0000017.0.R.201123
  • General_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.810.0000017.0.R.201123
That would have been easy if I knew what consequences my choice would render or if there was a table explaining the differences. Unfortunately there is nothing of that available. Maybe I should spend a day or two trying out them all?

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm just feeling a bit frustrated today and I'm sure things will appear in a different light tomorrow. I should probably have read the manual or went to a specific seminar prior to even consider to upgrade firmware but I obviously didn't. ;)

Again I turn my face towards my forum friends here and kindly ask for help to choose. Which of the firmwares listed above do i want?

(Sorry for my peculiar english)

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question is: Is there a particular problem with your cam you're trying to solve? Or some feature you think new firmware will make available your camera currently does not have? Because upgrading firmware just because newer firmware is available is generally considered unwise--if for no other reason than one always stands the chance of bricking their camera in the process.

But, if you're bound and determined to do it: My approach would be to examine the firmware version currently in the camera and find that newer version whose version numbering closely resembled it.

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Question is: Is there a particular problem with your cam you're trying to solve? Or some feature you think new firmware will make available your camera currently does not have? Because upgrading firmware just because newer firmware is available is generally considered unwise--if for no other reason than one always stands the chance of bricking their camera in the process.

But, if you're bound and determined to do it: My approach would be to examine the firmware version currently in the camera and find that newer version whose version numbering closely resembled it.
Good point!

Generally I try to upgrade firmware for any electronic device that I have in my childish conviction that new firmwares generally introduces bug fixes, security updates and improvements. Contrary to what I just said, as an IT consultant I have learned during the years that " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I get your point.

Well, I find the performance during night a bit below my expectations. I'd like to see if a newer firmware has introduced any improvements. Despite the risc of bricking the camera I'd like to find out and I hope curiosity won't kill the cat this time. I guess I need to learn about the difference of "DH" and "General" and the differece of "MCU" and "Promethues" then... I'm the first to admit I haven't done my homework

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

The first one listed here, has the Dahua logo in the firmware, thus the DH designation at the beginning. It was released on 11/23/20, that is the last 6 digits of the file name.

The difference for the next one below is that starts with General it does not have the Dahua branding in the firmware, it was also released on the same date.

The SD in the name means Speed Dome.
The PN means its for PAL. The NP means it's for NTSC. In reality, it doesn't matter these days it's all digital.
The solution for your nighttime issue's may very well be simply improper tuning of the cam settings.
Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk

As already said, if it's not broke, don't fix it is the best option.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As others have said...don't fix what ain't broke. If the camera is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind - both of those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first one listed here, has the Dahua logo in the firmware, thus the DH designation at the beginning. It was released on 11/23/20, that is the last 6 digits of the file name.

The difference for the next one below is that starts with General it does not have the Dahua branding in the firmware, it was also released on the same date.

The SD in the name means Speed Dome.
The PN means its for PAL. The NP means it's for NTSC. In reality, it doesn't matter these days it's all digital.
The solution for your nighttime issue's may very well be simply improper tuning of the cam settings.
Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk

As already said, if it's not broke, don't fix it is the best option.
Thanks @looney2ns for your kind help! I appreciate it a lot. I'm also grateful for the link you gave me and I'll study it carefully!