checking back in....up to my eyeballs

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
IMG_3646.JPG
Down the rabbit hole I went. I'm the Maint man... jack of all trades McGyver guy. I manage a CCTV DVR for security at work. It was a mess of old B&W cameras and Win7 32 bit Pc. After poking around and trying 1080P analog cams, I realized I maybe paddling against the current. joining this forum and reading up on some stuff, I decided to take my old Dell and throw an i7-3770s in it, and install Blue Iris. Added 1 test Cam and started playing around Blue iris and Ip addresses. So far I've managed to make the thing unresponsive or off line a few times screwing around. I did save 2 configuration files today when I got things working ok. been idling along with one camera for a week now. I need a few of those 2mp darkfighters or Starvis for outside. probably ptz with optical zoom, to dial in where it will be positioned. It's an f'n long walk to some of these locations. I already did enough back and forth and Face-timing my ipad and crap. I think i just want to get them up, and them point them in a few places as trial runs. The bums off Rice street sometime make camp nearby, and occasionally wander down the RR tracks or look at cars in the lot. We've had a few car incidents out back. Blue Iris is a handful! The old simple simon DVR didnt have a lot of features but the timeline review/playback is rather simple. Especially following a person 2-3 cameras. I have yet to learn how this will happen on Blue Iris. This is going to take some getting used to. When i got hired there were zero outdoor cameras. now i have 4. thanks for any comments or feedback etc...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check out the blue iris youtube post, and in the wiki above. I read a lot of post and watched a lot of video and i am still learning 6 months and ten cameras later. your rack looks great. Blue iris the best for me and what i need. Good luck

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
BI is like fine wine, it gets better with age.
Yeah? good to know. It's been pretty reliable and stable so far. The benefit of importing and exporting Cam profiles is priceless.
I have a 2nd camera up now. The 16 Nightowl will have to Stay operational for the foreseable future, and I will phase in IP camera's to the BI PC as their budget allows. I bought a Jidetech vandal dome PTZ for an inside Lobby camera. ( I know I know see Andy @ Empiretech). These people on the Board at my Condo won't blink if I submit $100 cameras as replacements over time. Slipping a $379 PTZ overlook on the building front would raise some eybrows. But it would sure help with parked vehicle recognition. The building is shaped like a "Y" and there is a row of Angle parking out front. these are the Parking spots where I'm blind.
I'm starting to see how how all the motion clips and Snapshots populate vertically over on the left in time sequence from all cameras.
I took an image of my BI drive and transferred it to SSD. Then formatted the 6TB Western drive back to GPT and made it the storage drive, Picked up some used ram on Craigslist. 16 GB Corsair modules, 6 of them for 80 bucks. The guy was a laid off IT guy from Mayo clinic. Helped everybody get set up for #StayatHome for weeks then poof! no job. Anyway My lil Dell 7010 is now adequately trimmed out with an SSD, Core i7, and 32GB of ram.
Oh and I plugged in the Cisco 3560 X to the rack yesterday and let it " do it's thing", Then I transferred all the lines over from the Cisco sg200 and waited with baited breath. Cha Ching Fruther Muckas! I managed to go in a save the running config, and wrote down all the pwds and changes. It basically set itself up in Layer 2 mode with POE enabled so thats all I want for now.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm starting to see how how all the motion clips and Snapshots populate vertically over on the left in time sequence from all cameras.
FYI, if you put your mouse cursor in a blank space at the top of that clip viewer and double-click, it'll move the viewer to the opposite side (in your case, over to the right).
That's where mine is now, because I was used to where it was in BI version 3 and 4 before you could move it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Cpu runs a little hot (63C)with the Night owl 16 channel Dvr feed and the Blue Iris feed. Earlier today I caught it at 72C, then I realized the Mouse pad was over the intake port! I’m going to have to hurry up and make that sliding keyboard/mouse shelf. the Dell runs 45-48C with Blue Iris alone and 2 IP cameras. Picked up an old proprietary rack shelf from an IT guy whose company went to the IBM Cloud at work. It housed a Hewlett Packard Tape drive. I cut 4” inches off the thing to make it bolt up in back. now i need to Jerry rig some sliding drawer rollers and something for a kybrd/mouse surface.

Reaction score
Cpu runs a little hot (63C)with the Night owl 16 channel Dvr feed and the Blue Iris feed. Earlier today I caught it at 72C, then I realized the Mouse pad was over the intake port! I’m going to have to hurry up and make that sliding keyboard/mouse shelf. the Dell runs 45-48C with Blue Iris alone and 2 IP cameras. Picked up an old proprietary rack shelf from an IT guy whose company went to the IBM Cloud at work. It housed a Hewlett Packard Tape drive. I cut 4” inches off the thing to make it bolt up in back. now i need to Jerry rig some sliding drawer rollers and something for a kybrd/mouse surface.
Ha keep us posted when you get it sorted.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I never thought a server rack could look so sexy :lol:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
That emergency pull to deploy parachute button is attractive, LOL :lol:

Did it not come with a glass door?
No Glass....That "Oh shit" handle is a bonus lol.....It's still connected to the main power strip. The Guy said he got it that way from a University of Wisconsin sale or auction...He says it's built into the rack and still works.