CCTV Controller

NovoRei

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have zero knowledge on this matter and a quick search didn't provide the answer I need.

I need a CCTV deck/panel/keyboard controller that works with SmartPSS or BI (or something else). I need it to have the most easy/friendly interface for quick playback and for users whose main task is not to operate the system.

The user workflow is:
1. The user select a camera/channel with the mouse.
2. Press the playback function key at the controller
3. Roll the knob fwd/bwd to the point of interest.
4. Press others keys to select: fwd/bwd playback speed; fwd/bwd search knob speed
5. Press a key to take a picture
6. Press a key to return to live view.

I don't need PTZ/camera control.

Would be something like below but with the mentioned functionalities.

Is there something that does it?

Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a PC with monitor screen in front of the user because you said " the user select a camera/channel with the mouse."

So wouldn't it be simpler to the have the user perform the desired functions ("playback", "fwd/bwd", "take a picture", "return to live view") on that same PC monitor screen WITHOUT having to look at and use another device like the example shuttle?

I'm thinking of BI but with a custom screen to accomplish what you want.

NovoRei

n3wb
Reaction score
You have a PC with monitor screen in front of the user because you said " the user select a camera/channel with the mouse."

So wouldn't it be simpler to the have the user perform the desired functions ("playback", "fwd/bwd", "take a picture", "return to live view") on that same PC monitor screen WITHOUT having to look at and use another device like the example shuttle?

I'm thinking of BI but with a custom screen to accomplish what you want.
The user is not a CCTV operator.

SmartPSS for example:
1. Select the tile.
2. Right click and choose from a menu of ~10 options for playback. Sensory overload. And can choose the wrong option.
3. Fiddle with green bar. Zoom in/out until you get roughly the desired location. A rolling knob is more natural and faster.
4. Change speed by selecting the small icon and dragging the bar. You may missclick and over drag. Then you have to go back to 3. A key is better.
5. The POS is found, now you need to go back to 4, and use bwd/fwd (with mouse clicks which can be missclicked) to analyse the POS. SmartPSS bwd doesn't work properly. Again, keys.
6. Right click and choose from ~5options for snapshot.

Each time you need the mouse the eyes go away from the tile and you are performing multiple functions. Visually search the icon, visually place the mouse over the icon, click/hold and drag.
A physical key or knob is unique. Can you type without looking at the keyboard? Yes. Can click on the screen without looking what you want and where the mouse is? No.
And keyboard shortcuts are not good either because all the keys have the same haptic feedback. A dedicated HMI is almost always better and more intuitive for the untrainned user.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The user is not a CCTV operator.
I'm not sure what the definintion of a "CCTV operator" is.
A dedicated HMI is almost always better and more intuitive for the untrainned user.
True...but I'm also not sure I would want anyone touching the system that was NOT trained. How complicated could it be?

Hopefully you'll receive some helpful ideas and recommendations.:cool:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I have found those controllers to be more hassle than they are worth LOL.

I can do all the OP requests with just a mouse and BI.

NovoRei

n3wb
Reaction score
Personally I have found those controllers to be more hassle than they are worth LOL.

I can do all the OP requests with just a mouse and BI.
I have not given up yet.

The keyboard below has "local playback" and "4-axis joystick", kind of what I need but may still be just a fancy paper weight and complicated to use.

I'm trying to search for "sport" solutions for instant replay which may do what I need.

NovoRei

n3wb
Reaction score
So the term for what I'm looking for is "Jog/Shuttle" functionality. And has been discussed in the past here but no proposed system solution.

and this:

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about this ? ==>> Elgato Stream Deck Classic - Live production controller with 15 customizable LCD keys and adjustable stand, trigger actions in OBS Studio, Streamlabs, Twitch, YouTube and more, works with PC/Mac

The buttons can be mapped with their software and keycaps visually changed to depict function. They also have a version with rotary knobs. Try it for a time and then return it if it doesn't work. I think if you contact Elgato direct they may loan you trial unit! If not but you buy from them you have 60 days to try it ==>> ELGATO RETURNS & REFUNDS POLICY

streamdeck-MK2.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

I have a Dahua NKB1000 keyboard:
1677143695590.png

It is connected to a Dahua NVR5x-I.
It works fine to select a camera for full screen, control a PTZ, navigate settings, playback, etc.
But I am still reaching for the mouse when going through settings because using a joystick like the 'tab' key in windows takes a long time to go past every button on screen.

My favourite use is playing video back on my NVR, the joystick up/down to switch cameras when playing back in-sync is awesome.

General flow of operation:
  1. Select camera number
  2. Select option (e.g. PTZ).
  3. ESC to exit back to main view controls.

Over all feel of this Dahua NKB1000 makes me happy I did not spend more than $100 on it.
It feels like cheap plastic that discolors with finger prints and the buttons are a horrible click.