Cat6 vs Cat5e

Reaction score
My new house will be prewired with 4 cat5e cables for PoE cameras.
It could be upgraded to Cat6 (for extra $$), wondering if I need it in near future (5-10 years?)
Seems like 1000Mb from Cat5e is 100 times of current bitrate and no way I will ever need to tap into Cat6 extra bandwidth. Thoughts?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5e is fine. I would spring for 6 or conduit at all office / media locations if you have the option.

Don't let them put the camera prewires too high. You can access your soffits after the fact easily.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My new house will be prewired with 4 cat5e cables for PoE cameras.
It could be upgraded to Cat6 (for extra $$), wondering if I need it in near future (5-10 years?)
Seems like 1000Mb from Cat5e is 100 times of current bitrate and no way I will ever need to tap into Cat6 extra bandwidth. Thoughts?
Hi Bender, 4 cables imho is not enough...

Highly recommend over cabling at this stage, you'll want more than 4 cameras for any modest sized home and significantly more for larger properties.

Also this is a great time to actually look at possible placement options, most builders place the cameras too high. Remember to bring at least 2 cat6/5e cables to the front for for video intercom and another camera. ( I prefer 1 video intercom / doorbell + 1 security camera covering the front door - maximize chances of good ID images )

Remember cat6/5e cable can be used for more than cameras... please see the notes

IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Bender Rodriguez test your locations ASAP before the cabling gets done.

Have a friend walk around with a hoodie and a cap during the day and at night and see if you can get an opportunity at those locations for a decent facial image.

Recent example of a night time thief hitting parked cars in driveways:
Carelessness cost me...I got hit...

There are some more good image captures in that section.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Not sure about doorbell, these days all good doorbells are wireless.
I have a corner townhome, which has three walls open to the outside. Seems like 3 cameras should be good. I may add one more at the side wall, since its pretty long and one cam won't be enough.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
test your locations ASAP before the cabling gets done.
You can even get an ideal what a location will be like by just taking a photo from the location. Helps to have a helper with a hat. Also don't plan on super wide angle cameras, a somewhat narrower FOV is more useful in most cases, plan on 80 degree fov or less.

Getting a camera that's only 6-8 off the ground installed after the fact is much harder than the soffits.

In addition to location, what they use for a junction box impacts how easily you'll be able to mount a camera. In a location where a wall mount like this is appropriate, you need a junction box that's horizontal.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Not sure about doorbell, these days all good doorbells are wireless.
I have a corner townhome, which has three walls open to the outside. Seems like 3 cameras should be good. I may add one more at the side wall, since its pretty long and one cam won't be enough.
Hi Bender,

I have seen thieves turn their backs on cameras reducing the chance of a good facial image.

Since all 3 sides are exposed to the public, I would plan for 2 cameras per side + one WIRED video doorbell / intercom product.

Even if you decide to go with just 3 cameras total today - now is a good time to wire each corner of your unit with 2 cables each. ( 4 corners x2 = 8 cables, + 2 cables for the front door )

This way, you can even use one of the cables to supply power to a LED or IR LED illuminator, or to a PIR sensor if you like.

If you need license plate captures on any of those sides, that would be one more camera.
If you park across the street - that would be a camera with narrow FOV and zoom.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m not an electrician. Nor have I played one on T.V. Cat6 is also a slightly thicker wire which may allow future power aspects of newer technology? The cable does do more than just data transfer. The thicker gauge may be immaterial, or at some future time it may be a better option. There are a ton of internet search queries talking about the differences. Crosstalk is another component that comes up between the two types. If the up-cost is reasonable, cat6. If it is a budget issue cat5e. If the cost is not reasonable for cat6, perhaps ask to see if the builder will allow you to purchase it for their install and charge you only the labor cost?

Cat 5e vs. Cat 6 vs. Cat 6A - which should you choose?

Cat5e vs Cat6 - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The lower crosstalk and thicker gauge for longer distances for POE make CAT-6 worth the extra $.02 per foot extra (average) that it costs over CAT-5e.

That being said, CAT-6 MUST be terminated properly to get the advantages that it can provide; sloppy termination will negate it's properties that can give it a slight edge electrically and electronically over CAT-5e.

Similarly rated bulk cable at Monoprice (solid copper, UTP, CMR-rated, 1,000 foot bulk): CAT-5e is $70, CAT-6 is $90. If you are wiring up a new house or re-wiring an old one, why not 'future proof' a bit and go for the CAT-6? Would you put $35 used tires on a $35,000 car?

"I don thin so, Lucy!" :cool:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cable may only be slightly more expensive, but the builder's markup could be substantial.

Last edited: