Carpal tunnel

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me break out my violin. It's really tiny though :rofl: The normal drop count on networks when I was installing was 200 plus and some went over 500. Ever terminate an IBM Type 2 (token ring) data cable connector? Throw in the phone that was also in that cable. The ethernet networks usually got custom made patch cables, made on site but that number never reached the full drop count, thankfully.

PS - I've got trigger finger problems with two fingers on my right hand from that, I think.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I only worked in Cable installing for about a year. maybe year and a half. CRS. :) a lot of it was Coax for GE antenna boxes to go ito their Wireless Cardiac monitoring Network rack. But in some cases we were installing 1 drop per room of Cat5e for the DASH 2000 Cardiac monitors as well, and so we'd have 30-40 coax split into Channel A and Channel B , and 20-30 Cat5's. All hanging from a ceiling in a Network Closet. Nothing quite as absured as this photo!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This field should come with better and brighter health benefits and 6-digit figure pay. I think in some states that is the case if you fall under the Network Engineer category. :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PS - I've got trigger finger problems with two fingers on my right hand from that, I think.
Me too but it's 3 fingers...from 31 years of lots of crimping, cutting with dikes, side cutters, and gripping/pulling cables, wires, ropes, conduit bender handles and.......the head of one of my co-workers because it was always up his a$$ . :lol:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Me too but it's 3 fingers...from 31 years of lots of crimping, cutting with dikes, side cutters, and gripping/pulling cables, wires, ropes, conduit bender handles and.......the head of one of my co-workers because it was always up his a$$ . :lol:

It's my pinky and middle finger. I aggravated it force feeding limbs into the chipper shredder, it needed a new chipper blade. Now I've got a bump in the middle of my palm to go with the trigger finger. The middle finger can be "interesting" at times when it pops back to straight ;)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's my pinky and middle finger. I aggravated it force feeding limbs into the chipper shredder, it needed a new chipper blade. Now I've got a bump in the middle of my palm to go with the trigger finger. The middle finger can be "interesting" at times when it pops back to straight ;)
I hear ya. For me, add the finger also that's between the pinky and the middle. It's improved since last year by sleeping with it under right butt cheek or thigh, fully open, palm up. My weight keeps it from closing the fingers.
When it clenches into ball or fist during the night it's bad the next day. I think the butt cheek/thigh thing has stretched some tendons or something because it's been really good most of this year. It used to self-clench if I got close to closing it and I'd have to take my left hand and unfold those 3 fingers; it doesn't do that any more. Maybe it'll work for you next time yours acts up. It can take a few months but hey, it's been worth it. :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@TonyR I was using one of those trigger finger splints on my middle finger for about six months. It did improve things, slowly, and I haven't been bothered as much by the middle finger. The pinky is a PITA at times. Maybe I'll start using that splint on it instead for a while to see if it helps. It sucks getting old! The body wears out while the mind, hopefully, stays in its' 30's or 40's. (OK maybe 50's :D )