Carjacking at gunpoint.

Hetticles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before we go, I ask one thing before you comment.
Don't blame the victim.

I ask, because my local facebook group is full of human garbage saying stupid stuff ("didn't fight enough, should have better situational awareness, should have concealed carry and killed them, etc").
I think some of these people on Facebook are Actually Batman, stopping crime and kicking criminal faces in, but this is a normal person with a firearm pressed to their body. People on Facebook lack compassion.

Camera is a Dahua SD-49425XB-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ .
The overall intersection is ~200 feet wide at 200 feet away, so I haven't found a good way to cover the intersection in detail. I use it as an awareness camera, no zoom, covering a large but not-busy intersection. The alleyways and sidewalks didn't capture these punks, I have good identifable coverage and plate coverage on the locations immediately off my house.

I do not know how to start covering the intersection with identifiable detail.
What do I add to my setup to cover a larger area in detail?
I could have an array of cameras with narrow field of view? Tile it in?
Seems to be conflicting to cover such an area, so far away, but want to identify faces and plates.
Could probably drop 1k on additional cameras before the wife starts questioning... lol.

This video IS CROPPED for opsec. Screen recording of the BI UI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW. That had to be so scary to her!

That camera is an autotrack camera, so you could have it zoom in and track people.

Could certainly start adding more fixed varifocal cameras zoomed into different areas. The 5442-ZE and 5442-Z4E would work well.

With enough cameras, you could then use the fixed cams as spotter cams to move this PTZ to different presets to get tighter shots and start the autotracking.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not much she could do. Yes situational awareness is #1 and if she had taken extra time before exiting and saw two hoodies heading her way, staying in the car with the option of leaving in a hurry would have been her primary defensive move.

Other than that, given two bad guys, struggling with them wasn’t the good move. Better to run away and let them have the car unless you’re prepared to escalate, with all the uncertainty that brings, and which isn’t advised when outnumbered.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@SJGUSMC21 and @bigredfish took the words right out of mouth...

@Hetticles ....with regard to your negative comments about Fakebook, I will say this:
Not trying to turn this into a political commentary (that's another thread), I think it's factually correct to say that in addition to providing a social forum for courteous, considerate and intelligent people it is OVERRUN with cowardly, selfish, cruel morons and deviates that would do better in a kindergarten where their intellect might just outshine their peers. I am not and never have been a FB user.

Glad she's physically OK and IMO, would have like to have seen her just immediately depart from the car.......a car which can be replaced. It's just a car. Thanks God there was no infant in a car seat....may have had a different outcome......

I detest thieves. :angry:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad she is OK.

FB morons will be FB morons.

Unless she could seen round the corner the 2 thugs were within a few feet before she even became aware of them.

She resisted more than I would have done if a gun were pointed at me so credit to her.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not much she could do. Yes situational awareness is #1 and if she had taken extra time before exiting and saw two hoodies heading her way, staying in the car with the option of leaving in a hurry would have been her primary defensive move.

Other than that, given two bad guys, struggling with them wasn’t the good move. Better to run away and let them have the car unless you’re prepared to escalate, with all the uncertainty that brings, and which isn’t advised when outnumbered.
Also
While much easier to say than to do, with practice, driving by your intended parking spot and circling once is a good habit to get into, especially for women and the un-armed. If Something doesn’t look right or you see unfamiliar people in the area, especially if they’re just “hanging out” at very least you become more aware of your surroundings and better able to resort to “plan B” faster (get out of Dodge) if they approach.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The vast majority of people would have been in complete disbelief and shock if the same happened to them. It’s not everyday two people come walking down a street in broad daylight to car jack a vehicle.

Than again such incidents are highly dependent upon where you live. Home invasions, car jacking, robbery occurs everyday day and night. As the other member noted having a strong situational awareness of your surroundings is paramount at all times.

This needs to be like muscle memory which is engrained into your lifestyle. It shouldn’t be fear driven but simply being honest that the world can turn in a second without notice.

Think drunk driver swerving toward you in opposing traffic. Think sitting at a rail road crossing and being rear ended by a texting cunt!

Think sitting in your recliner only to have your entire house sucked up by a tornado. Think waiting in line to hop on to the train and some asshole pushing you under the tracks.

Every year the number of drunk drivers, tired drivers, inattentive drivers (texting) kill more people a year than car jacking, home invasion, and robbery combined.

So it comes down to knowing the most common threats and being prepared! If you’re the first car in line from a train track stop at least 2-3 car lengths from the guard. Before entering any intersection scan all directions to insure everyone has stopped.

On a two way highway going up hill / down hill ?!?

Always stay close to the shoulder / curb and assume a vehicle has slowed down or is there and be ready to pull over to the shoulder (exit strategy). In drivers ed scanning your mirrors every minute is key along with the required shoulder checking for blind spots.

While at home this same principle of checking your windows, doors, and checking for blind spots while approaching the home and leaving the home is key!

Those of us with security cameras are fortunate as we can scan a large area quickly without being in harms way. But, never assume that same technology can’t fail you. It takes planning, time, money to have full video coverage which is only one of the four rings of security.

Reaction score
Before we go, I ask one thing before you comment.
Don't blame the victim.

I ask, because my local facebook group is full of human garbage saying stupid stuff ("didn't fight enough, should have better situational awareness, should have concealed carry and killed them, etc").
I think some of these people on Facebook are Actually Batman, stopping crime and kicking criminal faces in, but this is a normal person with a firearm pressed to their body. People on Facebook lack compassion.

Camera is a Dahua SD-49425XB-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ .
The overall intersection is ~200 feet wide at 200 feet away, so I haven't found a good way to cover the intersection in detail. I use it as an awareness camera, no zoom, covering a large but not-busy intersection. The alleyways and sidewalks didn't capture these punks, I have good identifable coverage and plate coverage on the locations immediately off my house.

I do not know how to start covering the intersection with identifiable detail.
What do I add to my setup to cover a larger area in detail?
I could have an array of cameras with narrow field of view? Tile it in?
Seems to be conflicting to cover such an area, so far away, but want to identify faces and plates.
Could probably drop 1k on additional cameras before the wife starts questioning... lol.

This video IS CROPPED for opsec. Screen recording of the BI UI.

BTW Hetticles, THANK YOU for posting this!