Can't see motion vs. continuous in HikVision web app

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In HikVision's web app (Firefox on Windows), if I only record motion, I see motion in red on the timeline during playback.

If I record continuous as well as motion, I see only blue on the timeline, so I can't see when the motion occured.

The legend under the timeline shows alarm in red and continous in blue, but I don't see both, like I do when connecting to the NVR directly and viewing playback that way.

I've attached an image of the web playback below where in the first day I was only recording motion, but in the second, both continuous and motion. There were many motion events during the second day and I can see both the continuous and motion colors separately in the NVR playback.

If you want to record continuously and see motion, this makes the web playback useless because you can't find the motion events.

untitled.JPG

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@cosmoYes that is a problem with hikvision NVR's
I may have been unclear. Playback directly from the HikVision NVR is fine. It is when I playback remotely through their web application that I can't see motion when continuous recording is also enabled.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I may have been unclear. Playback directly from the HikVision NVR is fine. It is when I playback remotely through their web application that I can't see motion when continuous recording is also enabled.
I understand. The problem you are describing is normal for the hikvision NVR's. Its makes no sense but that is how they implemented it. It will be the same in the mobile app as well. They should have fixed it long ago.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming. I am implementing a system for motion detection that will be accessed 100% remotely. So this approach won't work for me unless HikVision fixes the software.

Oh, and if they would only abandon the Windows/Mac legacy and go platform independent, then there would be no barrier to using them.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After a break in posts, I am just wondering whether there is any fix for this yet. I'll illustrate the problem more clearly.

In the first photo, you can see three periods of motion highlighted in red around about 10:30am. Up until that time, the camera had only been set to record motion, because in the web app, you only have a choice of one type of recording: Continuous, motion, event etc. (I'll get to the settings later).

At 10:32am, I changed the recording setting from motion to continuous. As you can see, the color went from broken red, when motion was sensed and recorded, to solid blue, when the camera was recording non stop. But there is no way to see when any motion takes place, even it is detected, because the line is solid blue.

Now, there is a little icon above and to the left of the timeline, that when you are in playback mode, it has the options of clear (the default), motion and two other things (I can't remember). But no matter what I select, it doesn't change anything on the timeline.

There is one thing I can do on the timeline, and that is grab the yellow horizontal bars and drag them down below the red/blue lines. See the second image. I thought maybe this would allow me to change what appeared between the yellow lines. But I couldn't. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

Finally, in the third and fourth image are my settings. You'll see in the third image that motion is enabled and some areas detected. I know this works because the red sections are appearing correctly when motion occurs. And in the fourth image, you can see that while continuous is selected for almost all the weekly hours, I have added in one small section of motion on Wednesday between midnight and 4am. You can't have motion AND continous, only one or the other.

It's driving me crazy. I want continuous recording but want to be able to search for motion, but I can't do that remotely, only at the HikVision console, which doesn't help me when the property is located in another country. Not good.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's driving me crazy. I want continuous recording but want to be able to search for motion, but I can't do that remotely, only at the HikVision console, which doesn't help me when the property is located in another country. Not good.
What NVR and what version of NVR firmware are you using?
The ability to show motion events with continuous recording via the web GUI was implemented in firmware 3.4.80 and later.
Example: Updated NVR firmware published - NVR_78_79_EXX_V3.4.80_160718.zip

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using the 8 port POE model, the DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P. Purchased on eBay in March 2016 for $320.

The configuration screen in the web interface reads firmware version V3.4.2 build 160205, encoding version V5.0 build 160201, web version V4.0.1 build 160202 and plugin version V3.0.6.1. Serial number DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P0820160303AARR578817140WCVU. I note region code "RR" = "Other/unspecified". http://<IP>/SDK/language reports "English"

I am reading the forum posts now to figure out which firmware I should upload in the GUI. Chinese or European? The "I" in "NI" seems to make a difference?

I really need that continuous / motion indicator.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am confused about the versions available for download vs. the NVR model I have.

In the post:

Updated NVR firmware published - NVR_78_79_EXX_V3.4.80_160718.zip

It refers to the Chinese website, but nowhere on that download page is anything mentioned about the model DS-7608. Although lots of posters seem to be using it. How does one figure out that a download from the Chinese site with something like 78_79 is compatible with 7608?

Also in the post, someone had the same NVR as me, the DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P, not the 7608N, and mentioned the European site:

HIKVISION EUROPE

Now they do specifically mention compatibility with DS-76xxNI-E2/xP. So that's good. But they have two downloads on that page with the exact same filename and only one is meant for the 7608! (Documented in the two PDFs on the page). How confusing it that!

Ay yi yi...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
HIKVISION EUROPE

Now they do specifically mention compatibility with DS-76xxNI-E2/xP. So that's good. But they have two downloads on that page with the exact same filename and only one is meant for the 7608! (Documented in the two PDFs on the page). How confusing it
That quoted link is for the newish 76xxNI-Ix series (also now known as K51) which is not the same as the 76xxNI-Ex series (also now known as K41) which is what your link in the post immediately above refers to.

And just to clarify - the 78xxN-Ex series is the version of the 76xxEx that is intended for sale in China, except by the on-line resellers who sell it outside China at low prices.
My post referred to the Hikvision Chinese website as I have the 7816N-E2 Chinese NVR.
Check out this post for the 3.4.91 bugfix release : Updated NVR firmware published NVR_K41_BL_EN_STD_V3.4.91_161220

But they have two downloads on that page with the exact same filename and only one is meant for the 7608! (Documented in the two PDFs on the page). How confusing it that!
One download is the EN (English only) version, one is the ML (Multi Language) version.
Not quite the same filename.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HikVision firmware organization drives me crazy.

1. The US site contains old firmware.
2. The Chinese site some of the newest, but no documentation and the model numbers on the web page don't match the model number that I have, yet people say that it works.
3. The European site has confusing model designations that don't match what I have, yet when you go into their directories (multiple) and download the PDF for the firmware, it says that it is compatible with the model I have! So confusing!

For example from the European site, 4 major directory structures for NVRs, with different model designations on the folder name, yet inside, the PDFs all say they are compatible:

HIKVISION EUROPE
NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V3.4.91_161220.zip
PDF file says supports DS-76xxNI-E2/xP

HIKVISION EUROPE
NVR_K53_BL_ML_STD_V3.4.90_160926.zip

HIKVISION EUROPE
NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V3.4.91_161220.zip

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product%20Firmware/Back-ends/Recorder/NVR/DS-7600NI-E1%28E2%29%207700NI-E4/V3.4.91%20build161220/
NVR_K41_BL_EN_STD_V3.4.91_161220.zip (Two zip files. Same name. Different sizes.)

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I just posted after your post. I will read your clarification now and see if I can figure it out. Thanks Alistair. With an NVR in another country, I don't want to brick it, but I need the update for the web improvements.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For example from the European site, 4 major directory structures for NVRs, with different model designations on the folder name, yet inside, the PDFs all say they are compatible:
Those PDF Release notes just refer to the firmware generic version, not to the model-specific downloads in their model-specific directories. If that makes sense.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I missed the subtle difference in the naming of the firmware file between EN and ML versions. If given a choice, should I downloading EN? (I only need EN)

Thanks also for educating me about K41 vs. K51. Firmware filenames now make more sense.

I think I see now where the latest firmware is for my model: Under the "DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4" folder as you pointed out. Given I am on 3.4.2, should I upgrade directly to 3.4.91 or do recommend an intermediate step as a precaution?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, there is always some risk in updating firmware, and sometimes unexpected consequences such as your Hikvision CN cameras suddenly being treated as 'persona non grata' because of their language. But on 3.4.2 I think you've already passed that particular Hikvision tripwire.
I'm quite loath to simply say go ahead and update because I would not want to dig a hole for anyone - it has to be your choice, based on your reading of others experiences (and aren't there loads on here?) and your own risk and consequences assessment.
But I think a 7608NI should be one of the safest to update with the EN firmware.
And why not take it step at a time - the update process just takes under 10mins each time.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm going in guns blazing. The firmware loaded. It's rebooting. Hopefully it will come back to life as I just got back from Australia last week and it's a looooong way to go to revive a non responsive NVR...

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the same problem with as in the original post with a brand new rebranded Hikvision NVR. I don't know if I can use the Hikvision firmware with it or not, and I don't want to brick it. My planned solution is to switch to Dahua, just waiting for Andy to confirm stock on the 5216-4ks2.