Cant move cameras to external POE switch....

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have an overloaded NVR POE switch and am trying to offload some of the cameras to an external POE.

All cameras are set to static in the 192.168.1.x range while the NVR and network it is attached to are in the 192.168.0.x range.

I thought if I just disconected the cameras from the back of the NVR / connected them to the external POE that the NVR would detect these cameras when I selected "search device under the "camera list".

I still dont fully understand subnets Is 192.168.0.x able to comunicate with 192.168.1.x ??

NVR: Dahua NVR521-16P-4KS2E
Cameras: loryta ipc-t3241t-zas

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an overloaded NVR POE switch and am trying to offload some of the cameras to an external POE.

All cameras are set to static in the 192.168.1.x range while the NVR and network it is attached to are in the 192.168.0.x range.

I thought if I just disconected the cameras from the back of the NVR / connected them to the external POE that the NVR would detect these cameras when I selected "search device under the "camera list".

I still dont fully understand subnets Is 192.168.0.x able to comunicate with 192.168.1.x ??

Basically no, those won’t communicate

If you are using the PoE ports on the NVR. Why would the cameras be on 192.168.1.x ? The NVR PoE ports by default would assign them a 10.1.1.x address…..

can you show a picture of your NVR camera registration page?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had to change some settings from the default because I had set up the system to bench test and the IP address ranges were completely different than the one the system was being installed on.

PXL_20220624_204013752.jpgPXL_20220624_204020899.jpgPXL_20220624_204006225.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Overloaded how, power consumption? Or are you trying to add 17 cameras to a 16 channel NVR, which wont work.

Whether or not 192.168.1.x and talk to 192.168.0.x depends on your subnet mask. If you had a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and are on the same network segment, you those could communicate otherwise you'd need a router connected to each subnet and need to define a route between the two networks.
Most consumer network only allows a 255.255.255.0 mask which would not allow those ranges to communicate directly.

You'll likely need to make some changes to the network addresses.

The NVR may or may not let you hook a PoE switch to one of it's PoE ports and connect multiple cameras to said port. You typically can connect the nvr to cameras that are accessible to the non-poe ethernet port but would need to manually address them and would still have the same channel limit.

You could also potentially connect an 802.3at power injector to one of the PoE ports. Not sure I'd recommend it, there are some risks if the NVR or injector don't comply with the spec.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Overloaded how, power consumption? Or are you trying to add 17 cameras to a 16 channel NVR, which wont work
All 16 cameras have coax to POE adapters which means each camera plus the two adapters equals 12 watts per channel and the budget of the NVRs internal POE is only 130 watts.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Where to start…

• Yes you need to offload some cameras to an external switch
  • no you shouldn’t use a NVR PoE port to connect a switch
  • the idea behind the onboard PoE is for convenience but also security. They SHOULD be on a separate range from your network, that’s why the internal switch defaults to 10.1.1.x
  • NVR should connect to the switch via the main ethernet port on the NVR
  • why do you show multiple cameras with same IP address? That ain’t good. IP conflict.
  • typically cameras using the NVR PoE ports should show a port of 1,2,3 etc. the ones with 37777 were probably manually added. Unplug them, Delete them from the bottom pane, then plug them back in and reboot NVR. And WAIT, for it to automatically assign them an IP
  • go into each camera interface (not the NVR, directly into the camera itself), and set the ones you want to be on the switch to individual IPs in the range of your network. Or set them to dhcp and go back and assign them static IPs after you get them on the switch.
  • once connected to the switch and assigned IPs by your network, you can search and find them on the NVR and these you do have to manually add.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It would also help if you opened a browser, (iE or Pale Moon) work well, and type in the address of your NVR and go through the web interface. It’s MUCH nicer and more functional than the machine UI

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
no you shouldn’t use a NVR PoE port to connect a switch
Just for verification, are you sure about this? I ask because it seems logical to me if the built in POE switch is just a switch, the NVR wouldn't know if there's another switch cascaded onto it. I think it would be preferable to keep all of the cams on the subnet of the built-in switch. I'd answer this myself if I had an NVR with built in POE.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish. I will attempt to log in through the NVR GUI and change the cameras to DHCP that I want to move to the external POE. Then back to static once everything's all set. I appreciate the help!

• why do you show multiple cameras with same IP address? That ain’t good. IP conflict.
The double IP was because I ran a search for cameras and added what was in the list not realizing I was reading cameras that were already detected. It has been fixed since

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just for verification, are you sure about this? I ask because it seems logical to me if the built in POE switch is just a switch, the NVR wouldn't know if there's another switch cascaded onto it. I think it would be preferable to keep all of the cams on the subnet of the built-in switch. I'd answer this myself if I had an NVR with built in POE.
I've actually done this before and it worked fine The only limitation as far as I could tell was the 100 MBPS ports which the cameras I used would never go over anyways.

Also interested to hear any other reasons not to do this.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I recall someone trying it and getting it to work sorta, but had IP conflicts as the PoE ports are assigned a specific IP… if it works great, but seems to me you’ll end up with the same power output problem?

Me<<<<< not a network engineer ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually memory being fuzzy, I think the guy who tried it was using some type of splitter not a switch