Can't login into NVR DS-7616NI-E2/8P after firmware upgrade (password field problem)

DingDong

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

My system is: Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2/8P
Original firmware: V3.3.6 build 151229
Purchased from China but sold as the full European upgradable version.

I updated with the following file from Hikvision's european site:
Home » portal » Product Firmware » Back-ends » Recorder » NVR » DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4 » V3.4.91 build161220 [Link]
I performed the update through the iVMS-4200 application (maintenance menu)

The upgrade went fine. It said the upgrade had been successful.

When I reboot the NVR, it boots fine and I get the splash screen with logo followed by the main screen. The menu is in English as well.

But of course, to perform any action, I need to input my password.

The issue is... I can no longer enter my password.

Somehow the user field has been replaced with a drop-down list of gibberish. Impossible to delete or enter any content (neither 'admin' nor my previous login credentials, nothing at all for that matter).

The password field however pops up the virtual keyboard, so here I can enter information just fine.

The 'Forgot Password' section however is totally blank. No device name or anything.

I tried logging in via iVMS and the browser, but either way, my credentials are not recognised. Neither admin/12345 nor my previous login.

I am a bit at loss here as to what to do now.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd be happy to do more reading, but I have no idea where to start.

Any help greatly appreciated

DingDong

n3wb
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that after the upgrade, SADP saw the NVR just fine and even listed the new firmware version

DingDong

n3wb
Reaction score
Brilliant!! That worked. Many many thanks...!!

Back to reconfiguring the NVR after the factory reset now!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Great! Yet another example of how well the community here works.

Now - recommended - check out the new 'password recovery features' in the 3.4.91 firmware.
Personally I like the web GUI Q&A one, the 'lost password' link at the login page.

ULTEAMCT

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I also faced same issue on upgrade of our one of the NVR, but resolved using this solution.