Cant get Deepstacks to recognize anything

Reaction score
Been messing with this for a week now - I have GOTTA be missing something. I went by an outdated setup guide for the BI version im running (latest). But it is the most recent one on YT I found. Using the CPU win version, it seems like it detects movement and snapshots, but it ALWAYS times out and has no detection - even though I can see a person & dog onscreen.
Ive reloaded deepstacks multiple times thinking I missed something in the install. It shows active when I run the DS test through BI. So im pretty sure its running - just not detecting anything.
Any help would be amazing!!
Thanks,
Jeff

2021-12-27 10_19_37-172.16.0.252 - Remote Desktop Connection.png
2021-12-27 10_20_44-172.16.0.252 - Remote Desktop Connection.png
2021-12-27 10_21_00-172.16.0.252 - Remote Desktop Connection.png
2021-12-27 10_21_35-172.16.0.252 - Remote Desktop Connection.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What camera model?

Post a screenshot of the BI status page that shows camera names, FPS, citrate, KEY, etc.

Try unchecking use main stream if available as well.

Reaction score
2021-12-27 10_50_46-172.16.0.252 - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Right now I just have 2 cameras im trying to set up - just to get a working config before I copy to the rest. They are REOLINK RLC-520 cams.

2021-12-27 10_53_40-172.16.0.252 - Remote Desktop Connection.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is your problem. Reolinks do not work well with Blue Iris and is even worse with DeepStack. Was the YT you watched the hookup by any chance...

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either.

Blue Iris and Reolinks do not work well together, but the same principles applies for almost any low end consumer grade camera. It is just Reolinks is one of the more consumer end cameras people buy and come to this site as to why it is pointed out often about. I have a cheapo camera for overview purposes so it doesn't matter, but it exhibits this same behavior even though in the settings I can set an iframe...

This was a screenshot of a member here where they had set these cameras to 15FPS within the cameras (and look some of the sub FPS were dropped to 5 and KEY of 0.25 which is a recipe for missed motion):

1638963936767.png

Now look at the key - that is the iframes ratio. Blue Iris works best when the FPS and the iframes match. Now this is a ratio, so it should be a 1.00 if it matches the FPS. The iframes not matching (that you cannot fix or change with a reolink) is why they miss motion in Blue Iris and why people have problems. This is mainly why people are having issues with these cameras and there are many threads showing the issues people have with this manufacturer and Blue Iris. It is these same games that make the camera look great as a still image or video but turn to crap once motion is introduced.

The Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate and these cameras cannot do that and there is nothing you can do about that with these cameras... The iframe rates (something these cameras do not allow you to set) should equal the FPS, but at worse case be no more than double. This example shows the cameras going down to a keyrate of 0.25 means that the iframe rates are over 4 times the FPS and that is why motion detection is a disaster with these cameras and Blue Iris...A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...we have seen people come here where the reo/BI combo missed them pulling their car into their garage, so it would probably miss your little thief LOL.

A key of 0.25 means that if the object can be in and off of your camera view in under 4 seconds, it will miss the motion. Folks have seen the key drop to 0.10 with these cams, which means if an object is not on your screen for longer than 10 seconds, it will miss the motion.

Compounding the matter even worse...motion detection is based on the substream and look at the substream FPS - they dropped down to below 6 FPS with an iframe/key rate of 0.25 - you will miss motion most of the time with that issue...DeepStack probably won't work at all...

Now compare above to mine and cameras that follow industry standards that allow you to actually set parameters and they don't manipulate them. You will see that my FPS match what I set in the camera, and the 1.00 key means the iframe matches:

1638964131845.png

Return them if you can.

Here is the unofficial thread showing all the issues folks have with Reolinks. Despite our repeated attempts to ask people to share a good quality night time motion video, as you will see, it doesn't exist. If all you care about knowing is what time something happened, then maybe these are the right cameras if the person is in the field of view long enough, but you will never be able to IDENTIFY them...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition, your system is timing out - it is taking over 15 seconds to run DS - what computer are you using (i number and processor number)?

Reaction score
But my FPS and SUB FPS are matching like yours are. Not like the other members screenshot you posted. Are you saying 15 FPS isnt enough?
Im Running an I7 6700k with 24 megs of RAM

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FPS is just one part of it. From your screenshot, your KEY is 0.5 for mainstream and 0.25 for substream.... It is the KEY below 1.0 that is problematic. I suspect in the night, your FPS and KEY will drop tremendously.

A key of 0.25 means that if the object can be in and off of your camera view in under 4 seconds, it will miss the motion. Folks have seen the key drop to 0.10 with these cams, which means if an object is not on your screen for longer than 10 seconds, it will miss the motion.

1640621108585.png

Is the computer running anything else? A 6th gen should not be taking 15 seconds and timing out (error 100). Member here run a 4th gen and getting sub 1 second returns.

Reaction score
Plus im lacking in understanding of how DS works. I thought BI took the screenshot, offloaded it to DS, then DS looked at the photo to determine what was in it, then sent that info back to BI to tell it to "record" or clip that section of video.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the camera has to trigger for motion and then send an image to DS, and your screenshot is showing it is taking over 15,000ms (15 seconds) and at that point DS will time out with the Error 100.

Something else is messed up in your system.

I would try an uninstall of DS and reinstall and then reboot the computer.

Although it doesn't get around the problem of Reolinks with Blue Iris and DS. Do a search here. Many have come here trying to make it work with Reolinks and it just doesn't happen. Those that could return them did just that. Here is one where the guy tried best he could to make it work...

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the computer running anything else? A 6th gen should not be taking 15 seconds and timing out (error 100). Member here run a 4th gen and getting sub 1 second returns.
Yep!

I'm running a 6th Gen, over a dozen 2 & 4 MP cameras, DeepStack, two cameras on ALPR, and my DS returns run about a second, unless I get a bunch of stuff happening at the same time. Of, and the PC is playing Spotify on a couple of outdoor speakers. :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The detection times are far too long plus the iframe, key frame, rates of those cameras, especially the sub stream, will not reliably detect motion in Blue Iris.

My first suggestion, as a test to make sure that DeepStack is running properly, is to shut off sub streams since the sub stream is unreliable for motion detection to start with. Shut off any other programs you may have running on that system as well.

Post a screen shot of the BI status page that shows the throughput numbers down on the lower left of the stats page. What is the utilization of your CPU when running BI and DS only?

I have the same processor and found that a CUDA capable video card produces far more reliable and much faster analysis times. A "slow" detection on my system takes 250ms and that's at night when I'm running two custom models with DS.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But my FPS and SUB FPS are matching like yours are. Not like the other members screenshot you posted. Are you saying 15 FPS isnt enough?
Im Running an I7 6700k with 24 megs of RAM
Memory is NOT your problem, assuming you meant 24 GB. My i7-6700 is running 16 GB, and ran fine with 8 GB before I added another stick. Heck, right now my BI says 1.63 GB being used, just sitting there...

Reaction score
FPS is just one part of it. From your screenshot, your KEY is 0.5 for mainstream and 0.25 for substream.... It is the KEY below 1.0 that is problematic. I suspect in the night, your FPS and KEY will drop tremendously.

View attachment 113573

Nope, dedicated BI machine. I setup another cam I have thats an Amcrest and up the FPS to 22 on both streams - showing a .5 key on that one. Doesnt seem to work on that cam either - still getting the timeouts and restarts in the log.2021-12-27 11_19_43-172.16.0.252 - Remote Desktop Connection.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The amcrest camera you should be able to set the iframe rate. By default it makes it double the FPS, thus the 0.5 key.

Log into the amcrest camera GUI and match the iframes and FPS. For tests make them both 15. That will then make the key 1.00

I still think you should do an uninstall and reinstall of DS and then a reboot of the machine. You shouldn't be timing out with that machine unless DS wonked out (and it happens - I have reinstalled mine a couple of times).

Reaction score
The amcrest camera you should be able to set the iframe rate. By default it makes it double the FPS, thus the 0.5 key.

Log into the amcrest camera GUI and match the iframes and FPS. For tests make them both 15. That will then make the key 1.00

I still think you should do an uninstall and reinstall of DS and then a reboot of the machine. You shouldn't be timing out with that machine unless DS wonked out (and it happens - I have reinstalled mine a couple of times).
Yeah, it was set initially on 15 for both streams , and I changed it to 22. BOTH times it is only showing .5 and never 1.0 for the key.
Ive reinstalled DS SOOOO many times now and its not changed. Maybe its the lastest SEPT version im running?
Id just like ONE cam to work so I know the DS setup is working - before I start replacing all the REOLINKS

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you changing the iframes in the camera? FPS and iframes and two different things. By default, it will double the FPS for iframes unless you manually change it. So if you change FPS from 15 to 22, the iframes will adjust automatically to double and thus the KEY of 0.5 unless you manually force them to match.

Which Amcrest model is it? Many here (including myself) have an Amcrest camera that we can set the FPS and iframes in the Amcrest camera to match. Maybe you have some obscure one that doesn't allow you to manually set iframe rates

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I have issues with software, especially new to me software, I always try to install it once. With all defaults. With one camera. Remove it, reboot. STOP. Fix the FPS and key until you completely understand what @wittaj is talking about. After you get that sorted, then reinstall DS, reboot again, pick the most stable, non-ReoLink camera, and try with it.

Very few on here have had good luck with Reolinks. Very, very few. And I think it is because they are already invested in them and don't want to give them up/admit they suck. I understand the reluctance to throw away the money, but so few folks on here have working Reolinks that getting true help will be challenging. Most Reolink owners blame it on BI - "They work fine with the Reolink app".

Reaction score
Are you changing the iframes in the camera? FPS and iframes and two different things. By default, it will double the FPS for iframes unless you manually change it. So if you change FPS from 15 to 22, the iframes will adjust automatically to double and thus the KEY of 0.5 unless you manually force them to match.

Which Amcrest model is it? Many here (including myself) have an Amcrest camera that we can set the FPS and iframes in the Amcrest camera to match. Maybe you have some obscure one that doesn't allow you to manually set iframe rates
Im still trying to understand the Process of BI-> DS -> BI based on the snapshots. I understand, apparently, that the camera makes a difference, but then Just dropping in this Amcrest cam with the .5 key (as you stated already) SHOULD just work.
But im still getting these timeout issues on ALL CAMS.
Im going to reinstall the whole machine again - WIN10, BI, DS - and start there. Its been pointed out that with my system is should be working with no issues.
Its hard to diagnose anything without knowing the process. - which I dont. Hence WHY I asked in an earlier post HOW BI and DS integrate. Other than the "deepstacks is installed" webpage, I have no idea if its working or not.
But im assuming NOT since it keeps resetting and timing out.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
BI hands off a snapshot to DS. DS then downsizes the snap shot and process it, using python, comparing it to its database.

Again, the detection times are far too long to produce any results. Is your system optimized? What is the CPU utilization? Easy questions to answer but very key to getting things working properly.

Optimize Blue Iris

Last edited:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have BI working properly, with motion detection working, and reasonable CPU utilization, and nothing else running on the machine, then reinstalling BI and Windows is overkill, IMO. If you do, make sure you do a 100% clean install from the media creation tool. And make sure you deactivate BI first so you won't have issues reactivating it!