Can't connect to Blue Iris server on Verizon Wireless

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All!

I have a very strange issue with a customer for whom I set up a Blue Iris server at his home.

When on a remote WiFi network (not his home WiFi), he can open his Blue Iris iOS app and connect flawlessly to view his cameras. If he turns off WiFi and uses his Verizon Wireless LTE, Blue Iris can't connect and gives the error "Check network availability". Back on WiFi, it again works flawlessly.

So, in testing different scenarios we tried a few things.
I had him download an iOS network tool and he can successfully ping his home router and can run a full, successful traceroute to it.

Further, he can even visit his public ip: port in Safari and successfully pull up the login page for the Blue Iris web server.

This problem has existed for a couple of months now and I'm out of ideas for what might be going on.

Happy to provide any additional details if anyone has questions.

Edit: forgot to add one important detail. I can dial in the same exact settings he's using (he's sent me screenshots) in to my iOS Blue Iris app on my phone and it connects flawlessly when I'm on AT&T LTE. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Verizon phone to test it on that network.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the verizon network..I am on verizon without issue...
First thing I would do is uninstall the app and reinstall it.

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the verizon network..I am on verizon without issue...
First thing I would do is uninstall the app and reinstall it.
I appreciate your input. You're right that it's probably a good idea to reinstall the app.

While I wasn't necessarily pointing fingers at Verizon, it was the only variable I could identify that was different from my other test scenarios (remote WiFi, AT&T LTE, etc). I am trying to put all the pieces together to figure out what's causing a lack of connection when away from a WiFi connection.

Thanks again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate your input. You're right that it's probably a good idea to reinstall the app.

While I wasn't necessarily pointing fingers at Verizon, it was the only variable I could identify that was different from my other test scenarios (remote WiFi, AT&T LTE, etc). I am trying to put all the pieces together to figure out what's causing a lack of connection when away from a WiFi connection.

Thanks again!
Also consider setting up a vpn..

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
Also consider setting up a vpn..
I've already got one set up for my home connection and have turned off all outside WAN access to the server. I may tell him its necessary to do so as well. Just more curious at this point at the technical aspect of what might be changing when moving to a cellular connection.

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you sure he has https selected in the app?
Thank you, yes, first thing I checked. It's selected as "https://" in the WAN drop-down. He's tried both the domain name I have tied to his home IP and the direct IP address and port. Both work on a remote wifi connection, neither work on Verizon.

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you, yes, first thing I checked. It's selected as "https://" in the WAN drop-down. He's tried both the domain name I have tied to his home IP and the direct IP address and port. Both work on a remote wifi connection, neither work on Verizon.
Make sure you enter the home network IP address in both LAN and WAN fields in the app.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it even possible for LTE data access to be disabled for an app, leaving wifi access available to that app? Because that would be my guess. The OS blocking WAN access for the Blue Iris app unless wifi is connected...

msp116

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Was this problem ever solved have a client with exact same issue on Iphone X?

Bob White

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Rebooted computer, modem and phone and still the same issue.

Was this ever resolved?

Running iPhone 8plus

Bob White

n3wb
Reaction score
I can connect using the iPhone app over my WiFi just fine, when I turn off WiFi on my phone and use the Verizon network I can’t connect.

I have At&T fiber, 1gb service.

This was working fine maybe a month or so ago. Last night I tried different settings, WiFi on WiFi off At&T on At&T off etc etc

Thanks

Bob

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can connect using the iPhone app over my WiFi just fine, when I turn off WiFi on my phone and use the Verizon network I can’t connect.

I have At&T fiber, 1gb service.

This was working fine maybe a month or so ago. Last night I tried different settings, WiFi on WiFi off At&T on At&T off etc etc

Thanks

Bob
that is not the same issue...the op could connect remotely via a REMOTE wifi which indicates port forwarding was setup correctly...
if you are using port forwarding, you need to confirm the port is open and that the ip address of the blue iris machine has not changed...
use canyouseeme.org

Bob White

n3wb
Reaction score
I did confirm that and it does work just fine without any issues using canyouseeme.org when I type in the ip and port from the bi.

Matthew Craig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, but if it’s his own WiFi the port forwarding might not be updated, this happens when the router restarts and the IP for the server is not updated.

Reaction score
I am using Blue Iris v5 (up to date) and have ran into the same problem with an iPhone X. I deleted the app and started over again. I turned the WiFi off and used Verizon LTE to set up the app. I scanned the QR code and the app is up and running on Verizon LTE. I did not change anything system or software settings. Now when I turn the WiFi back on I have the reverse problem ... Blue Iris is unable to make connection; check server address. So, I set up a second user name and logged on using Amazon silk on a Fire TV without a problem. BTW, I had the same problem with my old Amcrest DVR and the Amcrest app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using Blue Iris v5 (up to date) and have ran into the same problem with an iPhone X. I deleted the app and started over again. I turned the WiFi off and used Verizon LTE to set up the app. I scanned the QR code and the app is up and running on Verizon LTE. I did not change anything system or software settings. Now when I turn the WiFi back on I have the reverse problem ... Blue Iris is unable to make connection; check server address. So, I set up a second user name and logged on using Amazon silk on a Fire TV without a problem. BTW, I had the same problem with my old Amcrest DVR and the Amcrest app.
  1. On your iOS device’s home screen (iOS 14 or later), tap Settings.
  2. Tap Privacy
    and then
    Local Network. You’ll find a list of apps.
  3. Turn on Local Network Access for the app(s) you would like to allow access to your network.