Can you power Christmas lights with POE+?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone know if it is somehow possible to power LED Christmas lights with POE+ through CAT 6 cable?
I wanted to put Christmas lights at my mailbox but don't want to run an extension cord all the way from the house. I already have a buried CAT 6 cable connection there I planned to use for a street cam at some future date and I have a POE+ switch so it just got me wondering if this is at all possible. Is there any type of adapter to convert POE+ through CAT 6 to a sting of Christmas lights?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the lights. Some lights run on AC mains voltage. Some on 30v DC. Some on other voltages. I've never seen a Christmas light string with a regular DC barrel connector for power so any PoE(+) adapter that delivered your necessary voltage would probably not have a compatible connector out of the box.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe the quickest and simplest (but not the least expensive) ways I can think of are a string of 12VDC LED Christmas lights that are sold for cars, RV's and boats. They could be powered by a passive 12VDC injector plus a suitable 12VDC power supply / wall wart or if the line already has a connection to 802.3af/at POE, then a POE splitter that outputs 12VDC.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Many xmas lights have usb power source. Maybe poe can be adapted? Not sure what the output is. IMG_0292.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Adjustable transformers are cheap. POE voltage can be trimmed to output a specific voltage. As long as you are using low voltage lights like @TonyR suggested I can see it working, as long as you are using a passive poe power supply and the lights draw less than it's rated output.