cameras not alerting at night

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a PTZ camera and a bullet type camera that are both aimed at the gate on my property. I have the blue iris program set to sound an alarm thru the computer when a vehicle approaches. Both cameras function fine during the day but for some reason at night, when a vehicle approaches, the BI program is not pushing the alarm to the computer. Both cameras are seeing the motion and go into the record mode at night, but for some reason, the computer does not sound the alarm and I am not getting a push notification. Anybody have any ideas on this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post screenshots of your alerts and motion tabs. Sounds like maybe you have a profile that isn't set up for alerts?

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are the motion and alert settings. Both cameras are set the same. Only have two schedules, HOME and AWAY. These two cameras stay active during both profiles.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the camera actually triggering at night?

For night time, edge vector can be problematic.

I would uncheck the object detection box - headlight shine can reset the motion with that setup and reset the motion trigger and then you don't get the alert.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The PTZ is looking directly into the headlights but the other camera is not. I have them set so if either one of them detects motion, they both go into the record mode. Don't think this would be a conflict because it works fine during the day. They are both triggering at night and go into the record mode, Just no alarm on computer or push notification to phone. The PTZ camera picks up the motion long before the other camera does. The stationary camera actually triggers after a vehicle has come through the gate. I have unchecked object detection, should I change edge vector to something else?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Telling it to record is different than triggering, but it sounds like it is a night issue and your action set looks reasonable.

Try simple algorithm.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks, I will let you know how it works

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Telling it to record is different than triggering, but it sounds like it is a night issue and your action set looks reasonable.

Try simple algorithm.
I tried simple Algorithm and that did not work either. I'll try Gaussian tonight.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried simple Algorithm and that did not work either. I'll try Gaussian tonight.
remember that the algorithm is profile specific so ensure you are selecting your night profile in the trigger tab before clicking on motion detection configure.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
remember that the algorithm is profile specific so ensure you are selecting your night profile in the trigger tab before clicking on motion detection configure.
I
I did and they all have the same settings. Included is a picture of the gate. Camera is about 60' away, Should be able to capture picture. I checked the log and the PTZ Camera saw motion but canceled the alert. Gate camera apparently did not see motion at all, but it went into record because I HAVE IT set to do that if the PTZ is triggered. Starting to look like a AI Setting.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
B/W nighttime with AI can be problematic and then you throw a distance at it and it can cause problems. That is you issue.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AI is diffidently the problem, They are detecting motion but canceling alerts on both cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I mentioned, you have a difficult field of view and running B/W....two bad conditions for AI to work reliably.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll need to play with brightness and contrast to get anything close to reliable detection from AI at night in BW mode, especially if the view is difficult or a little "long".