Camera restarts

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What would cause a couple of cameras to randomly restart once or twice a day? I noticed today that a couple of cameras have done this at different times. Usually down for about one and a half minutes then shows back up. I have a hard time believing it is wiring or connection issues because there is no indication of any trouble before or after the drop. These are dahua 5231 cams on a bvtech poe switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Power cycling would be one distinct possibility.
Well it’s only been on 2 cameras and both at different times from each other. My switch and blue iris pc is on a battery backup.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  1. Try swapping out the BVTech switch.
  2. Try plugging different cameras into the 2 switch ports that the 2 problematic cameras were on.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
  1. Try swapping out the BVTech switch.
  2. Try plugging different cameras into the 2 switch ports that the 2 problematic cameras were on.
Yeah I think I’m going to watch for another day or 2 to make sure it’s just being isolated to those 2 cams. Then reverse some ports. I just have a feeling it’s going to be a switch issue being a cheap switch.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just have a feeling it’s going to be a switch issue being a cheap switch
Yes, I run 4 of the BV-Tech 4 port GB switches and 1 BV-Tech 10 port switch. They are cheap, but over the 10-months or so that I've been running them the only problem I've had (so far) is that the port status lights on the 10 port unit S U Q...and that's SUQ with a "Q" brother jus' so you now how much suQage those 10 port status lights achieve.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I run 4 of the BV-Tech 4 port GB switches and 1 BV-Tech 10 port switch. They are cheap, but over the 10-months or so that I've been running them the only problem I've had (so far) is that the port status lights on the 10 port unit S U Q...and that's SUQ with a "Q" brother jus' so you now how much suQage those 10 port status lights achieve.
Lol well I have the 10 port din model. I’ve really been thinking of buying another switch anyway. I’ve got 2 open ports left and a couple more cams I want to install and will be running out of ports so might as well get a better switch to have on hand.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve really been thinking of buying another switch anyway.
I also run a Dlink DGS-1210-28P (28 port PoE) and a Dlink DGS-1210-10P (10 port PoE) switch. Both are highly reliable and no unreasonably priced IMO.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Swapped ports the other day. Problem Appears to fallow camera. It happens maybe once or twice per day and some days not at all.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps the camera configured to do an auto reboot one or twice a day?
Good point. I’m going to check that along with the network settings.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not set to reboot. The firmware on this cam and the only other cam I’ve noticed this happening too is the same version. Is there a known bug in one of the versions?

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. What version is running on each camera?
The only 2 cams I’ve noticed this issue is on version 2.8-002 the other cams are on 2.8-005

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Alright I’m still having an issue with 1 camera doing a random restart every couple of days or so. I have it on a managed switch now that shows no errors at all but shows the link drop when the camera reboots. The log in the camera will show an event begin, reboot, abort, startup, save configuration, then a couple of event begin/end and a hot swap in that order.