Camera quandary - Dahua 5442T|| Hikvision 4MP ColorVu

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All,

In the process of adding a few cameras and initially was going to plumb for the well reccomended Dahua 5442 turrets, specifically the Varifocal (IPC-HDW5442T-ZE) so i can zoom tighter to specific areas.

I asked my local installer for a quote for multiples of the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE to see if his prices came close to Andy's and he came back stating that the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE was EOL. Initially he did seem to be trying to push the Hikvision cameras and I can see the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE camera on the dahua website still so I am unsure if it is EOL or if it is just a further push towards the Hik's.

Anyway, he kindly loaned me a 2.8mm 4MP ColorVu camera DS-2CD2347G2-L to see if i have enough ambient light around the property to make use of it without the need for additional lighting. I currently have it sitting inside pointing out a window just to test it. I set the exposure settings to 1/200, dropped the gain down to 50 and left everything else standard.
1624616886021.png
I have done plenty of walk tests at night and i have to say im very impressed. No bluring althought the 2.8mm lens is far too wide. My only light source apart from moonlight is streetlights. I have no interest in using the onboard LED's. The size of the camera is massive when i compare it to my HDW2231R-ZS!

So to my quandary.

I'm not sure if i am comfortable on relying on streetlights (which i have no control over when bulbs or daylight sensors go faulty) and would liike to have the option to fall back onto IR ilumination if this happens. Hence looking at the Dahua 5442T.

Looking at the specs of the Dahua 5442T Fixed lens and varifocal. I can see that they have the same sized sensor 1/1.8" and a slightly smaller apature (F1.6 for fixed & F1.8 for varifocal). The min lux rating seems miles apart compared to the ColorVu.

ColorVu = 0.0005 Lux @ (F1.0, AGC ON) - I'm assuming this is Auto Gain Control which us users have no access to.
2.8mm 5442T = 0.002 @ F1.6
Varifocal 5442T = 0.003 @ F1.8

I really like the ability of the Hik to maintain a good colour picture at night.

Questions

Is the Lux value correct on the ColorVu or is that a typo? I.e. does difference in apature from F1.6 to F1 really make THAT much of a difference?
Is the fixed version of the Dahua 5442 able to get anywhere close to the nighttime performance of the ColorVu without falling back to IR?
Is there a Hikvision mount equivilent to the Dahua PFA230-W?
Is there a Dahua equivilent to the 4MP ColorVu?
Is the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE EOL? If so where can i find the EOL dates?

Thanks for reading.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The model to compare against the HiK is the -NI version of the 5442, however it only comes in 3.6mm fixed lens and only bullet or dome form and no IR. It’s an awesome camera if you have the ambient light, which it sounds like you do.

I have two of them watching my vehicles in the driveway.
4116P_Drive West_main_20210408230637_@12.jpg

Couple of basics:
1- Fixed lens cameras of the same model/series will be more light sensitive than their VF counterparts
Review: Dahua HFW5442T-ASE 4MP Starlight+

2- Generally speaking, the lower the F-stop, the more light sensitive it is. Cameras (again in the same series/sensor) such as the HiK you reference and the NI versions of the 5442 with Max Aperture of F1.0 will out perform those with higher Fstops
Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Starlight Full-color Fixed Bullet

Stepping up in price (2x or so) to the 7442 series with 1/1.8 sensor and an Fstop of F1.2 will also get you a better low light image

Last edited:

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The model to compare against the HiK is the -NI version of the 5442, however it only comes in 3.6mm fixed lens and only bullet or dome form and no IR.
Thanks for that! It would explain why i couldnt find the equivilent on Dahuas site, i was looking at turrets only. Unfortunately the missus will not go for a bullet (why must women spoil things) and i dont want a dome as some cams will be in direct sunlight. Plus i will need longer lenses on some cams to cover entry points cropped nice and close.

Interestingly the min lux on this is 0.001 Lux @F1.0 vs 0.0005 with the Hik turret if that's to be believed.

Its not easy this camera lark. I was all set on taking a punt on the 5442's until my installer threw the ColorVu curveball and said the 5442's were EOL so i cant even try before i buy with the Dahua.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Also be cautious of manufacturer Fstop and lux ratings. While they can be helpful when comparing products of the same manufacturer, they can vary a lot between different manufacturers.

The standard 5442 ASE series turret still does a great job. Worth testing against that HiK and you get the option of IR

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks so much @bigredfish for your input! As much as I love the quality of the Hik ColorVu, im still a bit weary of relying on ambient light 100% so I'm still swaying towards the Dahua. Other factors pushing me this way is the size of the Hik Turret and the wall mounts are no where near as neat looking as the Dahua PFA230-W

Oh and also, I don’t know HiK model numbers that well, but if it has on board white light LED’s. You would compare to the 5442 LED model.
I have no interest in making use of the white LED's so if the low light colour performance of the 5442 LED model is the same as the 5442-ASE model is then i would go for the 5442-ASE as it has IR to fall back on.

I have a 2MP varifocal (HDW2231R-ZS), which i was using for testing camera locations, which is how i came to know i need to zoom a few cameras in.

Is there a matrix somewhere that can convert the zoom figure on this cam to its closest fixed lens equivilent? (I'm sure i saw a post on this forum ages ago for something similar but be dammed if i can't find it now).
1624626835774.png

If can figure out the lens , IPC-T5442M-AS sometime can do a better than the motorized lens.
You may have another order inbound from me @EMPIRETECANDY if i can set my varifocal to the 3.6mm & 6mm equivilent to be sure i wil get the coverage i want ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
For reference that image I posted in my first reply above is a 3.6mm with 12-15 ft to the vehicle driver side door and an exposure of 1/120

Depending on light you’ll need about that 1/120 setting to eliminate motion blur. So be sure you’re not comparing cameras on “auto” settings

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depending on light you’ll need about that 1/120 setting to eliminate motion blur. So be sure you’re not comparing cameras on “auto” settings
Yup - my 2mp varifocal noted above currently has the following settings which is enough to keep it in colour without motion blur but its not a touch on the ColorVu and in some places is probably too dark.

1624628097935.png