Camera placement help

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Yes, another one of these threads.

Looking for some input on where to locate cameras around this house. Its not my house, this is a clients house that is new construction. All my experience has been with buildings that are already built so this is a little out of my comfort zone (being able to see a site is so much easier for me, but I can and will work off of prints when needed). Client is looking for a quote now though, so I just need a little guidance. (If it was my house I'd just throw 16 cameras up around the place to cover every angle.)

I know I'll need one at the front door, one near the garage doors, and a few more around the building...

There are 2 separate doors onto seperate elevated decks in the back. One has stairs and one doesn't. I'm thinking the one with stairs will get one camera, as one camera could cover the stairs and the door onto the deck. Should a camera be installed on the deck without stairs?

There is a door out of the basement to the yard. I'll install one camera here as well.

So I know where to install 4 cameras. I feel like that isn't adequate coverage. Should some be placed along the sides of the structure?

I'll have one to watch the driveway so now we're at 5 cameras.

I don't need any help with what cameras to use, just with placement of cameras around this structure.

I'll be meeting with the client later this week to discuss things further with them, including how paranoid they are and how many they'd prefer to have. I'd like some advice though if they say just do what you'd do if it was your own (which again, would end up with 16 or more cameras to cover every angle!).

I've attached some images of the prints.

Thank you for any input in advance fellas,
Kevin.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Yes, another one of these threads.

Looking for some input on where to locate cameras around this house. Its not my house, this is a clients house that is new construction. All my experience has been with buildings that are already built so this is a little out of my comfort zone (being able to see a site is so much easier for me, but I can and will work off of prints when needed). Client is looking for a quote now though, so I just need a little guidance. (If it was my house I'd just throw 16 cameras up around the place to cover every angle.)

I know I'll need one at the front door, one near the garage doors, and a few more around the building...

There are 2 separate doors onto seperate elevated decks in the back. One has stairs and one doesn't. I'm thinking the one with stairs will get one camera, as one camera could cover the stairs and the door onto the deck. Should a camera be installed on the deck without stairs?

There is a door out of the basement to the yard. I'll install one camera here as well.

So I know where to install 4 cameras. I feel like that isn't adequate coverage. Should some be placed along the sides of the structure?

I'll have one to watch the driveway so now we're at 5 cameras.

I don't need any help with what cameras to use, just with placement of cameras around this structure.

I'll be meeting with the client later this week to discuss things further with them, including how paranoid they are and how many they'd prefer to have. I'd like some advice though if they say just do what you'd do if it was your own (which again, would end up with 16 or more cameras to cover every angle!).

I've attached some images of the prints.

Thank you for any input in advance fellas,
Kevin.
Hi @Kevin_Essiambre

You probably already know I would also do the smart home cat6 cabling at the same time, and over cable...

Wondering how well on wall electrical gang boxes work with some of the new home wraps and insulation panels.

Perhaps you should have a go at those drawing and market where you think good locations are.

Of course, depending on the property that may also make a difference. ( example if people can easily access the back of the house via open land / gold course / alley way... )

Do they have a networking closet in the layout?

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @Kevin_Essiambre

You probably already know I would also do the smart home cat6 cabling at the same time, and over cable...

Wondering how well on wall electrical gang boxes work with some of the new home wraps and insulation panels.

Perhaps you should have a go at those drawing and market where you think good locations are.

Of course, depending on the property that may also make a difference. ( example if people can easily access the back of the house via open land / gold course / alley way... )

Do they have a networking closet in the layout?
Hey Mat,

I was contacted to do the cameras, networking system throughout the home, wireless access points, video doorbell/intercom, and alarm system.

There's an entire data room in the basement for me to install equipment in (i think I posted the ground floor plans.... the data room is in the basement). The room is 14' x 13', although I'm not sure how much I will be sharing with the AV home theater guys.

The alarm system i subcontract out to my alarm guy (I cannot justify the extra cost of insurance to do alarm systems for the handful of times I do them).

The network cabling and wireless access points i have no issue with.

The client wants all Belden cabling if possible (although i will be quoting Belden and the brand i normally use for them to choose, and yes, solid copper no CCA). They also want future proofing done while its being built, so i will be included conduit to each room for future upgrades.

As for insulation in the walls, I will likely end up using either plastic boxes with the vapor seal built in, or metal boxes (although not my first choice) with a separate vapor boot on it for the exterior walls. But I always try to place outlets for networking on interior walls so I can use low voltage brackets.

That leaves me with cameras. I'll jump on the computer in a bit and add where I think the cameras should go, but as I've already stated, I'm not sure where to cover the other areas. I'll include a Google maps view of the location the home will be built.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.