Camera placement and type

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

For our new home that is currently being built I'm looking into adding a security system (see topic Small security system, non-cloud, non-app) and cameras and I have a lot of questions so I hope someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Here's the situation:

There's a narrow path (colored yellow) to reach the fence gates to the gardens of our home as well as that of some of our neighbours. The path ground is actually ours but the neighbours have right of passage. In principle we could install another fence gate at where the yellow path goes around the corner but we'd have to give them keys.

Anyway, this is more about where to place any security cameras. I have to decide this week if and where I want pre-wired CAT5e or CAT6 conduit to the outside. It's relatively costly to have these added so I want to minimize them. For reference here's another picture with some possible camera locations:

What do you think would be the best locations and type of cameras to actually install?

Camera 1 could perhaps be replaced by a door camera?

Camera's 2 and 3 are intended to cover the narrow path (yellow above) which is borded by a brick wall on one side (bordering our garden) and a hedge on the right seperating the path from the parking spaces. At least initially I suppose this hedge will be rather sparse and thin but it's possible that there's an actual metal fence there as well, will have to check. I was thinking of using one of those Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret cams for 2 and 3 since it's only the narrow path that needs to be covered so I could let it zoom in to cover just that and have detailed and hopefully ID-able footage as a result. Camera 2 could perhaps be moved to sit along 3 and 4 and still fulfill the same role but then I'd need to be able to run 3 cameras off of one CAT5 cable.

Camera 4 is intended to cover the garden itself and the fence gate that gives entrance to it. There's a light just inside the fence gate so that might cause some problems there I suppose at night for this camera. Ideas for a solution if that is indeed likely to be a problem? Also, someone could enter from the neighbours' garden so I would need to cover the area close to the back facade so I might need two separate cameras for that, or ???

As for camera 5 I'm not sure it's really needed, what do you think?

Another consideration is if and where to put up lights, either always on and/or with motion detectors. Not so much for the cameras (if they're starlights) but rather for an increased sense of security when walking there.

Are there any lights that can be set to low illumination after dark and high illumination when motion is detected?

Do any such lights run off of PoE or would I also need mains power there? I'm not sure the contractor will be able and willing (or even allowed) to run both CAT and mains cable through a single conduit.

Another idea might be to use some domed fish-eye or at least very wide angle cameras, one to replace 1 and 2 and another to replace 3 and 4. but I'm worried that the footage will not allow ID-ing.

I'm also wondering about the proper height for these cameras. For 1 and 2 I suppose something like 9ft might be ok but 3 and 4 might be reachable at that height if someone climbs the 6ft brick wall that borders our garden.

I'm also wondering if there are any super-micro 2 or 3 port active PoE switches that I could use to power and connect 2 or 3 cameras from a single CAT5 cable.

Any suggestions? Also, if anyone has any additional suggestions regarding my other topic Small security system, non-cloud, non-app, especially regarding detector types and placement, that would be awesome.

Last edited:

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Study this: cliff notes
It includes a calculator that will help with placement.
I've read it (admittedly after posting the above) but I was and am still hoping to get some advise from those more experienced regarding my specific situation, ie. which cameras in my sketch are really useful. If I wasn't on such a limited budget I would have them install lots and lots of conduit pre-wired with CAT but unfortunately I'm on a very tight budget so I really need to minimize.

In response to what catcamstar said in the other thread I'm now also thinking about what to do on ground+1, especially because as I mentioned there we have an extended living room and someone could climb up on the garden wall and then jump on the the roof of the groundlevel extension and would then stand in front of the windows on ground+1. I should probably look into installing something like this:

Anyway, this is what the upper floor looks like:

Would location A be a good spot for a camera and/or motion detector? That would be ideal cost-wise because I could just have a single conduit installed to that point near the floor and then use a small switch there and use a simple milling cutter (or even just hand tools) to cut a channel through the gypsym block to route a wire to the ceiling corner and I could even just drill through the gypsum to get a wire to the adjacent room as well. I could also use it to connect TV's etc. in each room. And also window sensors probably.

The same would work for the other two bedrooms, there's already a conduit with CAT6 cable in the red circle which is meant for watching television etc. so I could do the same thing there. If this works I would only need one additional pre-wired conduit for the 'topmost' rooms.

Could a camera be used as a reliable motion detector in location A perhaps?

Alternatively I suppose I could try to use a ceiling mounted (fish eye?) camera (location E) and somehow cable it using the mains conduit that's already there but I'm not to sure that's such a good idea or even possible since I don't know what route that conduit takes.

I'm also wondering if E would be a good location for a ceiling mounted camera, the stairway and all the doors on this upper floor come out on it so if someones wants to move around there they'll definitely be detected/recorded. Again there's already a mains conduit up there but I'm not sure that could be re-used for the camera/detector.

Incidentally all the floors/ceilings are poored concrete and they all have floor warming/cooling tubes in them so it won't be possible to lay any additional conduit after the fact. The inner walls are all gypsum blocks.

Would love to hear some comments on this. I only have until this Friday to specify which conduits to lay.

Last edited: