Camera for iSmartGate garage door opener

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi

I recently installed the ismartgate garage door opener (ismartgate.com). It lets you open or close the garage door via their app. I could also do it remotely.
I can also use my IP camera already installed in garage to view the live feed of garage door within the ismartgate app. Or when I want to check if its open or not ....
According to the company (ismartgate), not all cameras are compatible though and unfortunately mine - a Hikvision DS-2CD2335-i - is one of the incompatible ones !
They said, "The ismartgate requires a camera that is sending a stream of Images, not a video. This functionality is called Snapshot."
Anyone know if I can get a Snapshot functionality within the iVMS or any other way ?

(I will need to purchase a video plug-in though if I wanted to see my own camera feed in their app. I could also purchase their hardware (a camera), but I do not intend on going down that path. Would like to use existing hardware (my Hikvision) instead if I can)

Last edited:

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi

I recently installed the ismartgate garage door opener (ismartgate.com). It lets you open or close the garage door via their app. I could also do it remotely.
I can also use my IP camera already installed in garage to view the live feed of garage door within the ismartgate app. Or when I want to check if its open or not ....
According to the company (ismartgate), not all cameras are compatible though and unfortunately mine - a Hikvision DS-2CD2335-i - is one of the incompatible ones !
They said, "The ismartgate requires a camera that is sending a stream of Images, not a video. This functionality is called Snapshot."
Anyone know if I can get a Snapshot functionality within the iVMS or any other way ?

(I will need to purchase a video plug-in though if I wanted to see my own camera feed in their app. I could also purchase their hardware (a camera), but I do not intend on going down that path. Would like to use existing hardware (my Hikvision) instead if I can)
I cant speak to ismartgate app (sounds cool though) but I have a camera mounted inside of my garage to record Amazon in-garage deliveries & also anytime movement triggers BI (like when a garage door opens for example). While it would be neat to have the camera stream integrated into my "myQ" garage door opener app, I wouldn't be willing to pay any money for it. When I need to look in the garage, I just use the BI app already on my phone for example.

In other words, I think you have the equipment already to do like I'm doing. I just can't see paying money to integrate the functionality of a single camera into that app. Just my opinion though.
"by the power of Greyskull!!!!"

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most cameras offer a snapshot url. If not, you can grab a snapshot from the VMS.

I have tilt sensors to determine if my garage doors are open or closed. I have a camera in my garage to determine which cars are present. I have a routine when I arrive home which says if the garage door is closed and my car is not in the garage then open the door. Likewise, when I depart it will close the garage door if my car has also departed.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most cameras offer a snapshot url. If not, you can grab a snapshot from the VMS.

I have tilt sensors to determine if my garage doors are open or closed. I have a camera in my garage to determine which cars are present. I have a routine when I arrive home which says if the garage door is closed and my car is not in the garage then open the door. Likewise, when I depart it will close the garage door if my car has also departed.
what are you using to run your routines?

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use HomeAssistant. I have routines to:
  • Open left / right garage door when my wife or I arrive home
  • Close left / right garage door after either of us depart
  • Provide actionable notification if either door is open for > 15 minutes
  • Open the garage door 6" if it's day time and the cat is in the garage
  • Open the garage door 6" if the cat is outside
  • Close the garage door if open 6" and the cat moves her cat dish
  • Open garage door when house cleaner's car arrives (based on license plate OCR)
  • Close garage door after house cleaner car departs
Garage doesn't close if people are present and of course can be controlled manually via the app. I don't have it setup with Amazon.

Attachments