Camera Configuration 90deg Flip

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry for being one of those annoying guys but I have until August 6th to finish setting up a system I just received from Andy. I am a complete newbie at this and some things I just cut figure out in time. Is it bad to wish for the CoronaVirus to delay my deployment :oops:

I got the NVR5216-16P-4ks2E up and running and managed to install two cameras before it started to rain. The one IPC-T5442T-ZE is covering a long fence line so I am attempting to flip it 90 degrees. Within the camera UI I see the aspect ratio fine, when I view the feed via the NVR or iPhone app, the ratio is off and the NVR displays an error within seconds. FYI the camera mounting is temporary, just seeing how the picture looks.

And if anyone reading this knows how I should configure a Unifi USG so I can remote view, I would be grateful. That will probable be my next annoying post.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

Reaction score
I know nothing about NVRs but I am tagging @bigredfish here as he is the resident expert on Dahua NVRs.

Don't know if you saw this post:

Good luck on getting finished before your deployment.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know nothing about NVRs but I am tagging @bigredfish here as he is the resident expert on Dahua NVRs.

Don't know if you saw this post:

Good luck on getting finished before your deployment.
Thanks, I hadn't seen this; wish I did 10 hours ago. I appreciate your referral.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So you're correct that when you flip 90 degrees, the NVR and DMSS app do not show the correct aspect ratio.

However if you use SmartPSS as I do for a Live viewer and Playback/Download tool (much better than the NVR) you'll see that it does display the correct aspect ratio as does the actual exported, recorded video in SmartPSS and Media Player

flip-1.jpg flip-2.jpg flip-3.jpg flip-4.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
By the way, that "Resource is Limited" screen has nothing to do with flipping 90 degrees. It usually means some problem with bandwidth or the machine display

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
By the way, that "Resource is Limited" screen has noting to do with flipping 90 degrees. It usually means some problem with the bandwidth
Thanks, I just finished reading your post that Samplenhold directed me to; and I did download SmartPSS. I was doing everything via the GUI.

A couple of things that I'm still trying to find. I'm trying to set up 24/7 recording but at a @ 7fps and then motion at 15fps. Also where do I define the motion ones; I need to block off the flowerbeds that keep swaying in the wind.

Last (for now) do you recommend Open VPN or the L2** (forgot the name)? Do I need a DDNS, I noticed this site seems to have a service.

Thank you for writing that post, can't believe I didn't find it in the wiki; and all the additional help.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I just finished reading your post that Samplenhold directed me to; and I did download SmartPSS. I was doing everything via the GUI.

A couple of things that I'm still trying to find. I'm trying to set up 24/7 recording but at a @ 7fps and then motion at 15fps. Also where do I define the motion ones; I need to block off the flowerbeds that keep swaying in the wind.

Last (for now) do you recommend Open VPN or the L2** (forgot the name)? Do I need a DDNS, I noticed this site seems to have a service.

Thank you for writing that post, can't believe I didn't find it in the wiki; and all the additional help.
The Main stream is common to all recording, full and motion. You wouldnt want different FPS for them anyway

You define motion events on the 'Event" tab, using either old fashion Motion Detection or preferably IVS.

OpenVPN is what I'm familiar with. Yes look at using the site service if you need it.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I added a camera by use of a 1to4 POE extender. The NVR sees it but doesn't change the IP address. Any advice?

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What IP is the NVR seeing ?
10.1.1.?
After opening the camera and hitting the reset button it initialized properly. When in doubt, reboot!

While I have your ear:
Is there any real reason to put an SD card in each camera? For intelligent alerts, how can I increase the pre alert time the gets recorded? When viewing tripwire recordings on occasion there is a blue box around the subject, any meaning? Lastly, how do snapshots work, where to view and how to get them pushed to my app. I set up the schedule but can't find them.

Thanks.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats a lot of questions ;)

I dont use SD cards much anymore. I do have them in two key cameras for the HOA watching the street. I suppose its a good idea at least on those essential cameras such as front door..

Pre alert time is done on the NVR see snap
pre-record.jpg

The light blue box on IVS I believe tracks the subject that caused the IVS to trip. This may only be on certain series of cameras?

Snapshots:
  • Make sure you have them set under Schedule and Record first
  • Go to Playback the File list then More and you'll find a search interface for pics as well as video

Push to phone is a function of the DMSS app and is for another threAD.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thats a lot of questions ;)

I dont use SD cards much anymore. I do have them in two key cameras for the HOA watching the street. I suppose its a good idea at least on those essential cameras such as front door..

Pre alert time is done on the NVR see snap
View attachment 67900

The light blue box on IVS I believe tracks the subject that caused the IVS to trip. This may only be on certain series of cameras?

Snapshots:
  • Make sure you have them set under Schedule and Record first
  • Go to Playback the File list then More and you'll find a search interface for pics as well as video

Push to phone is a function of the DMSS app and is for another threAD.
Thank you.

The cameras are still having issues connecting, seem to be the ones on the POE extender. Looking at the list, there is at least one IP address conflict.

Thinking of going into each camera and assigning a static address for each.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think .65 is the same camera twice. The one that shows 37777 is wrong. Delete it. Then reboot and see if another comes up.

Ive never tried that with a PoE NVR. Others have said it works but Im beginning to doubt..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried just one on the extender, get it to register, then reboot and connect the other, reboot....?

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you tried just one on the extender, get it to register, then reboot and connect the other, reboot....?
I think the POE assigns static IPs, I rebooted a couple times and they stay the same.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so this is going to keep me up...

On your screencap you have two in the top pane that are both .66 and in the bottom pane two that are .65. Are these the same two sets of cameras?

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Resolved!!!
I took down the cameras and plugged them directly into the POE. From what I witnessed, the POE doesn't assign IPs in order but a specific IP for each port. As all three cameras where plugged into the same port via the extender, they were all assigned the same IP address.

After assigning different IPs, they now all work. So it seems that this is a mandatory step if an extender will be used.

I'm off again on Wednesday and have 5 for cameras to install; including a fisheye which should be fun.

@bigredfish, thanks for the assistance.

Attachments