Business Cams

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I havent posted here since getting everyone's reccomendations on a camera for my house. I am now looking for suggestions on indoor varifocal cameras for both daytime and nighttime viewing for a business. We have been broken into recently and the footage from the current cameras are useless. I want to make sure night time picture is excelent as this is when we have had the most issues. I want something pointing at the door as well as another cam face height at the inside of the door capturing a face shot of whoever leaves. Suggestions please and thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I havent posted here since getting everyone's reccomendations on a camera for my house. I am now looking for suggestions on indoor varifocal cameras for both daytime and nighttime viewing for a business. We have been broken into recently and the footage from the current cameras are useless. I want to make sure night time picture is excelent as this is when we have had the most issues. I want something pointing at the door as well as another cam face height at the inside of the door capturing a face shot of whoever leaves. Suggestions please and thanks!
see the dahua starlight threads.
also first and foremost, you need a good alarm system that is loud and instantly notifies you when it is tripped.
you might also consider a video monitoring service like one that @bababouy provides. Remote Video Surveillance Monitoring - CCTV Security Cameras - Florida

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have a starlight varifocal turret at my house and like it. Are there any cheaper varifocal that are meant for indoors as opposed to the outdoor that I'm assuming is more expensive?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have a starlight varifocal turret at my house and like it. Are there any cheaper varifocal that are meant for indoors as opposed to the outdoor that I'm assuming is more expensive?
indoor outdoor prices are the same. There is a cheaper varifocal that has no mic ...I would go with the fixed varifocal if price is a concern. SD card is good for backup.

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We have been using the N24BG52 for a fixed starlight turret. It does have a mic and is also a full featured IVS camera. If you need some help with a layout or camera placement, feel free to give me a pm me @SD002

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @bababouy I will check out that cam! I am trying to figure out what exactly we want to do.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok guys. I'm going to go with 1 5231 starlight varifocal. I also want to do a camera at 5' 6"-6' to the right of the inside of the entry door to capture faces as people leave. I'm thinking a mini dome for this. Any thoughts? If it's reccomended, what focal length should I go with?
Thanks!

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking through the Dahua catalog, the N44BN52 is a 4MP 2.8MM lens mini dome with a built in mic at 65ft of IR. It also is a pro series so it has built in IVS.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @bababouy ! Would you reccomend the 2.8mm mini dome for that location/purpose I mentioned above?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, a 2.8 will give you more than a 90 degree wide angle. This lens is not recommended if you want to see detail at a long distance, say over 80 feet away.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to go with the 5231 starlight and the 2.8 mini dome starlight. I need a third camera to point over a large area to mainly see what's going on during the day. The other 2 cameras will be more for identifying people. Any reccomendations on the 3rd?

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys, also looking for a BI PC to run 3-4 cameras. I read the wiki. How important is a 6th gen i5 processor? I'm looking for a PC in the $200-$250 range and can only find it 3rd or 4th
gen in that price range. I need the 8gm ram with an OS installed. I found this but I'm not sure how well it will work.

Dell OptiPlex 9010 MT Intel i7 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Win 10 USB VGA B Grade Desktop | eBay
if you are running starlights you dont need an i7 for 3-4...a third gen i5 for 100 bux will be sufficient.
Last week I picked up an i5-6500 for under 200...you just need to wait for the deals. Also note that newer systems that say no OS, but have a windows pro sticker on them likely are licensed and you will have no problem installing w10 from the media creation tool.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman thanks for the tip! I'll look into the no OS systems as they look much cheaper. This is the second system I'm setting up(this one for my mother) and still doing a bunch of learning

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman thanks for the tip! I'll look into the no OS systems as they look much cheaper. This is the second system I'm setting up(this one for my mother) and still doing a bunch of learning
keep in mind that is the case with most i5-6500 or newer elitedesks/optiplex as w10 was standard with those systems or they came downgraded to 7 but had 10 licenses. That wont be the case with most older systems.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok guys. Just picked up a optiplex 7010 i5-3470 3.2GHZ with 8GB ram, 500GB HD for $90 shipped to run as a dedicated PC. Going to install a WD purple 4TB drive into it for storage and a SSD to run the OS on. I need help figuring out which last camera to get. Since I will have 2 starlight cams aiming at faces I was hoping for a cheaper cam (less than the $170 varifocal turret)to get a nice overview shot. Any suggestions?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you find a fixed lens turret starlight, maybe a 2.8 or 3.6. Our cost on the N24BG52 with a five year warranty from Dahua is about $125.ea