Build Specs

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to build a new dedicated security system for all my cameras, and want to know what specs I should follow to build a good PC for Blue Iris? Can anyone give me some recommendations on hardware. I also want to know if solid state drives are a good option when it comes to security video. Can I use solid state with a NAS drive backup for longer storage? Any ideas would help. Also My CPU seems to always be at peek level, so this is one of the reasons I would like to have a better system....Are gaming systems a good option?

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you currently have a Blue Iris system?

If so, are you following EVERY optimization in the wiki? The substreams option makes a 4th generation system very capable.

Many of us do not buy new and it is cheaper to buy a refurbished computer. You don't need to buy components and build one or buy a brand new computer.

Many of these refurbished computers are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so.

A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. More than capable. Another member runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation computer at sub 40% CPU.

Generally SSD is for Windows and Blue Iris and then purchase a HDD designed and made for cameras, like the WD Purple.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
People often assume that using a computer as a NVR system is pretty CPU/GPU intensive. "I mean if a gaming computer struggles with 4k games, imagine how much power it must take to record multiple 4k cameras!"

The reality is very different. Streams from digital CCTV cameras are just 1's and 0's. If you are recording the stream direct to disk, then the computer simply takes the 1's and 0's and records them to a hard drive. This takes very little CPU and no GPU power to do this. It does take some RAM, but not high amounts either. Therefore you don't need to be "cutting edge" with any of the computer equipment and honestly you shouldn't buy something that is expensive. Putting that money towards better cameras will be much more beneficial than having a fast computer.

That being said, I think the lowest CPU I would get is a i5/i7 6th generation because that is the oldest generation that allows you to use the CPU chip for some specialized GPU functions (it does effect playback of the material which you will want to do). 8gb is probably enough, 16gb is overkill. I just picked up a Dell Optiplex 7040 (mid size tower) with a i7 6700 chip and 16gb of RAM off EBay for $320 shipped. While that is a decent price, it also isn't the "deal of the century" and can probably be duplicated without much effort.

As far as SSID drives go, it is recommended that you use one for the OS drive. It is not recommended that you use it for CCTV streams to be recorded on. It won't speed the process up and the mechanical drives are designed for this type of use.

So long story short, there is no need to spend $$$$ on a high power computer if you are looking to use it for BI use.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even with substreams, a BI computer will still use CPU...

A 4th generation can be used for H264 GPU, you just do not get H265 GPU, but if you don't run H265 then not a big deal...

But enough cameras on a 4th generation can use significant CPU. That same member here running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at sub 40% CPU was at 100% CPU with around 25 cameras...it was my insistence that he try the substream that he saw the CPU usage drop and was then able to add more cameras...

But to say BI uses little CPU is dependent on the number of cameras well...