Brightness variation in alert

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Searching for this turned up nothing so I will ask here.

During playback in from the timeline in Blue Iris at speed >>, it shows the image gets brighter as the cams go into alert, then after the event they dim down. I've noticed this on both day and night recording on a few different brands of cams. At night the result looks like someone turns off the lights after the alert.

It seems to be a good thing but I am curious if it is camera hardware "feature" or something BI does differently from iSpy. I used iSpy for a several months and never noticed this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Searching for this turned up nothing so I will ask here.

During playback in from the timeline in Blue Iris at speed >>, it shows the image gets brighter as the cams go into alert, then after the event they dim down. I've noticed this on both day and night recording on a few different brands of cams. At night the result looks like someone turns off the lights after the alert.

It seems to be a good thing but I am curious if it is camera hardware "feature" or something BI does differently from iSpy. I used iSpy for a several months and never noticed this.
its not a feature..its a false alert due to your camera adjusting to the lighting...blue iris does not adjust the image in any way...its simply recording the feed your camera sends.

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
All in all it is not a bad thing because it does "lite up the event". But are you suggesting the cameras are defective, or is this a normal response to a small number of pixels changing? I know my cameras are crap, however I never saw this in iSpy.

What mechanism does the camera use to adjust the brightness? Might there be firmware options to control the behavior?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
All in all it is not a bad thing because it does "lite up the event". But are you suggesting the cameras are defective, or is this a normal response to a small number of pixels changing? I know my cameras are crap, however I never saw this in iSpy.

What mechanism does the camera use to adjust the brightness? Might there be firmware options to control the behavior?
The camera is not defective...it's just how they adjust to lighting changes... Your sensitivity in I Spy may have been set too low and therefore you were missing events..