Brick Wall install and Paint - painting IP security camera to blend in

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought I would share my latest install on a brick wall, with painting to match. Not too much out there on painting save a few videos on youtube, and a few threads here, so thought maybe this can help some guys.
I get all my gear from @EMPIRETECANDY Andy what a nice dude.

Now, the intention of this post wasn't to really talk about dome's vs turrets (I have several 5442 turrets as well, they are excellent) but inadvertently I'm sure it'll come up. So I'll make a few notes on this particular camera.
This install is the IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI. Full Time Color, 3.6mm lens. 0.001LUX. (compared to 0.002 on the 5442 Turrets)
Same 1/1.8" sensor, but It also has more memory 1GB (ASE-NI) vs 512MB (Turret) to help with the extra processing for the full color.

IMG_8181.jpg

I know some guys don't like dome's so much, but in the right situation this is an excellent camera. For this particular install, it is fully protected on all sides, on top and in front, so I have no glare issues, and the 0.001 is fantastic as is the full time color. (you can absolutely notice the difference vs 5442 Turret)
More importantly it was the look I wanted for this location and install. In my opinion it is more minimal and sleek when finished and painted, and slightly smaller overall than Turret. (no gap from the eyeball to base of the camera)
For me the ASE-NI cameras are excellent value and performance. I've talked with andy about it lots, and shown him other installs and samples from full color. they shine IMO.

Anyways enough on that you'll see below I wanted the minimal cleaner in my opinion look (no junction box) for this location.

So to achieve the minimalist install, clearly I drilled 1" hole thru brick. I've done 15/16" and 7/8" before but to me it's just a hassle to get the pigtail thru. So save yourself the aggravation and just do 1" if you want the full pigtail to go thru.

IMG_8092.jpg

next I duct seal the pigtail wire going in to help with the insulation. note it will never be perfectly sealed but if you take your time and stuff it down its best you can do and more than sufficient.
on this one I did approx. 7-8 inches of duct seal down the hole - and i'll have caulking seal around the camera anyways...

IMG_8102.jpg
IMG_8097.jpg

now to mounting.. I would usually use tapcon's in concrete or brick, but unfortunately the smallest 3/16 tapcon (requiring a 5/32 pilot drill hole) the heads don't fit the camera base.
I didn't want to enlarge and drill out the base of the camera, and again I didn't want to use a junction box for the slimmer look (tapcon's work great with inside junction boxes there is room for the tapcon head)
So I just used the anchors and screws supplied with the camera. They work fine. I've read about some guys say about them being inadequate, but if installed properly (1/4" pilot for anchor) they're perfectly fine.
You don't need overkill, the camera is rock solid with the "come with" anchors and screws and not going anywhere. Just be careful lining up your pilots for the anchors in concrete or brick.
(yes i accidentally had the wrong bit (larger) on when I started the left side hole, but it's ok i caught myself and only made a nice flush taper opening (unnecessary) for the head.

OK now to the real intention of sharing this pos.. the brick color camouflaged painting! I have a pretty standard reddish/orange brick color, so I used a rust-oleum color called Satin Cinnamon.
The Cinnamon color was a little brighter and shinier than I though (only later I found a "Flat Red" color from the same brand that might have been similar or better, but overall I'm happy with the outcome.
I've seen a few example online of people who used a red, bright red, cherry red, apple red, etc - all too bright for me.
Then I also topped off with a light coat of textured spray (first time ever using this) and it worked out well so far.
You can see the test swipes on the right side. I went back and forth to how much and what I was going to do, but ended up with the original plan. 1 nice coat of the cinnamon and a light coat of the brown textured.

IMG_8108.jpg

IMG_8117.jpg
Ok so that's really it. I'm happy with the results. only time will tell how long it lasts and stands up haha.

...Oh last step to clear caulking seal around the camera, but i cant seem to find my tube of it so gotta go to the store to get another one.

IMG_8180.jpg

IMG_8182.jpg

longtime reader, seldom poster, so i thought i'd try to give back a little bit :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I would share my latest install on a brick wall, with painting to match. Not too much out there on painting save a few videos on youtube, and a few threads here, so thought maybe this can help some guys.
I get all my gear from @EMPIRETECANDY Andy what a nice dude.

Now, the intention of this post wasn't to really talk about dome's vs turrets (I have several 5442 turrets as well, they are excellent) but inadvertently I'm sure it'll come up. So I'll make a few notes on this particular camera.
This install is the IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI. Full Time Color, 3.6mm lens. 0.001LUX. (compared to 0.002 on the 5442 Turrets)
Same 1/1.8" sensor, but It also has more memory 1GB (ASE-NI) vs 512MB (Turret) to help with the extra processing for the full color.

View attachment 72433

I know some guys don't like dome's so much, but in the right situation this is an excellent camera. For this particular install, it is fully protected on all sides, on top and in front, so I have no glare issues, and the 0.001 is fantastic as is the full time color. (you can absolutely notice the difference vs 5442 Turret)
More importantly it was the look I wanted for this location and install. In my opinion it is more minimal and sleek when finished and painted, and slightly smaller overall than Turret. (no gap from the eyeball to base of the camera)
For me the ASE-NI cameras are excellent value and performance. I've talked with andy about it lots, and shown him other installs and samples from full color. they shine IMO.

Anyways enough on that you'll see below I wanted the minimal cleaner in my opinion look (no junction box) for this location.

So to achieve the minimalist install, clearly I drilled 1" hole thru brick. I've done 15/16" and 7/8" before but to me it's just a hassle to get the pigtail thru. So save yourself the aggravation and just do 1" if you want the full pigtail to go thru.

View attachment 72430

next I duct seal the pigtail wire going in to help with the insulation. note it will never be perfectly sealed but if you take your time and stuff it down its best you can do and more than sufficient.
on this one I did approx. 7-8 inches of duct seal down the hole - and i'll have caulking seal around the camera anyways...

View attachment 72431
View attachment 72432

now to mounting.. I would usually use tapcon's in concrete or brick, but unfortunately the smallest 3/16 tapcon (requiring a 5/32 pilot drill hole) the heads don't fit the camera base.
I didn't want to enlarge and drill out the base of the camera, and again I didn't want to use a junction box for the slimmer look (tapcon's work great with inside junction boxes there is room for the tapcon head)
So I just used the anchors and screws supplied with the camera. They work fine. I've read about some guys say about them being inadequate, but if installed properly (1/4" pilot for anchor) they're perfectly fine.
You don't need overkill, the camera is rock solid with the "come with" anchors and screws and not going anywhere. Just be careful lining up your pilots for the anchors in concrete or brick.
(yes i accidentally had the wrong bit (larger) on when I started the left side hole, but it's ok i caught myself and only made a nice flush taper opening (unnecessary) for the head.

OK now to the real intention of sharing this pos.. the brick color camouflaged painting! I have a pretty standard reddish/orange brick color, so I used a rust-oleum color called Satin Cinnamon.
The Cinnamon color was a little brighter and shinier than I though (only later I found a "Flat Red" color from the same brand that might have been similar or better, but overall I'm happy with the outcome.
I've seen a few example online of people who used a red, bright red, cherry red, apple red, etc - all too bright for me.
Then I also topped off with a light coat of textured spray (first time ever using this) and it worked out well so far.
You can see the test swipes on the right side. I went back and forth to how much and what I was going to do, but ended up with the original plan. 1 nice coat of the cinnamon and a light coat of the brown textured.

View attachment 72434

View attachment 72437
Ok so that's really it. I'm happy with the results. only time will tell how long it lasts and stands up haha.

...Oh last step to clear caulking seal around the camera, but i cant seem to find my tube of it so gotta go to the store to get another one.

View attachment 72435

View attachment 72436

longtime reader, seldom poster, so i thought i'd try to give back a little bit :)
Very nice job, thanks for sharing this @hermaninthehood

Do you have access to the backside of the brick wall? Or did you need to do some gymnastics to pull the cable to that point?

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice job, I like it. Color match is pretty decent too.
thank you, best match i could get.. until i see or think of something else. the textured paint worked out very good, i'm really liking it. see how long it lasts or holds up...
the whole idea was minimal/camouflaged but still with a good performance camera.
because it is basically covered and protected on all sides, the full color on ASE-NI is really good.

Last edited:

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great job! And I really like how you documented this. I think that we need more of these kinds of posts.

Could you also post a pic of the cam from further away to give us an idea of how it blends in? Thanks.
i mean clearly it's still there (with the lighting and shadows its hard to fully show how it blends) but at least not bright white camera housing...

IMG_8189.jpg

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great work & detail!
For even more camo, paint in the cement strips...

View attachment 72447
your PS skills wow me! LOL actully when planning I thought I might try that..and sure when looking straight head on it blends.. but because of shape when look at from different angles it actually would probably stick out more because of a crooked line from diff vantage points

sdl0311

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did something very similar. I used plasti dip (tan color) to match my trim for my ptz camera. It can be peeled off if I don’t like it or decide to change the trim color in the future. Blends in perfectly as yours did. Great job

Attachments

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Hermaninthehood!

You've inspired me to try the same sort of thing. One question out of curiosity. Why not use a non-expanding spray foam insulation? Wouldn't it fill the hole better than the duct sealer?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I wish I saw this old thread a few weeks ago as I recently installed a wedge cam on brick. I had purchased a junction box for the cam to deal with the pigtail but like you I decided it would protrude too far out and just draw even more attention. I pretty much installed the same way and also recommend drilling a 1" hole to make life easier. This install was for my parents' house which is 500 miles away so I don't have easy access to make modifications at will. After I installed the cam I asked my dad if he wanted me to paint it to match the brick somewhat. We both agreed at the time to just leave it in white for now and perhaps when I'm up there in a few months we can revisit that. I think he didn't mind at all leaving it in white to get the point across to those standing on the porch that they are being watched therefore govern yourselves accordingly. We'll see in a few months if he wants to camo it. Also, agree that adding the mortar lines would actually make it stand out more due to the visual angles.

I think that added touch of the texture paint is brilliant. I probably would have simply found a similar color paint to match the brick and would have left it at that but your texture paint idea really kicks it up a notch. Great job! I'll have to show my dad your great work. I think I'd have to go with a color with a touch more red in it. I think depending on the brick and paint color selected it might work to paint it first with the texture then light dusting of the brick colored paint.

BTW, since this is a porch install the cam is protected from the rain therefore I just stuffed insulation in the brick hole.

20220706_123954.jpg
20220706_124041.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I saw this old thread a few weeks ago as I recently installed a wedge cam on brick. I had purchased a junction box for the cam to deal with the pigtail but like you I decided it would protrude too far out and just draw even more attention. I pretty much installed the same way and also recommend drilling a 1" hole to make life easier. This install was for my parents' house which is 500 miles away so I don't have easy access to make modifications at will. After I installed the cam I asked my dad if he wanted me to paint it to match the brick somewhat. We both agreed at the time to just leave it in white for now and perhaps when I'm up there in a few months we can revisit that. I think he didn't mind at all leaving it in white to get the point across to those standing on the porch that they are being watched therefore govern yourselves accordingly. We'll see in a few months if he wants to camo it. Also, agree that adding the mortar lines would actually make it stand out more due to the visual angles.

I think that added touch of the texture paint is brilliant. I probably would have simply found a similar color paint to match the brick and would have left it at that but your texture paint idea really kicks it up a notch. Great job! I'll have to show my dad your great work. I think I'd have to go with a color with a touch more red in it. I think depending on the brick and paint color selected it might work to paint it first with the texture then light dusting of the brick colored paint.

BTW, since this is a porch install the cam is protected from the rain therefore I just stuffed insulation in the brick hole.

View attachment 134883
View attachment 134884
Perhaps paint it to match the light fixture?

Or better.. Golden .. as in Golden Eye... ok Bronze probably works better even tho I like Golden Eye ..

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did something very similar. I used plasti dip (tan color) to match my trim for my ptz camera. It can be peeled off if I don’t like it or decide to change the trim color in the future. Blends in perfectly as yours did. Great job
What's the plasti dip coverage like? How many cams could you do with a single can?