BlueIrisViewer RIP?

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been using BIV 2.8.1 and earlier for a number of years just fine. I just upgrade to 5.3.8.17 and now BIV will no longer log in. I get the typical dreaded "Unrecognized server!" when it starts up.

Snooping traffic I see a few packets exchanged before the error comes up. BIV error log shows:
2021/01/27 14:02:01 An exception has occurred in class org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.Utilities:
Exception message was null
org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.ReAuthenticateException
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.Utilities.getViaHttpConnection(Utilities.java:163)
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.Utilities.getViaHttpConnection(Utilities.java:57)
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.Utilities.getStringViaHttpConnection(Utilities.java:259)
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.images.Images$1.run(Images.java:163)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

2021/01/27 14:02:01 An exception has occurred in class org.brian.blueirisviewer.images.Images$1:
Unexpected token END OF FILE at position 0.
at org.json.simple.parser.JSONParser.parse(JSONParser.java:257)
at org.json.simple.parser.JSONParser.parse(JSONParser.java:81)
at org.json.simple.parser.JSONParser.parse(JSONParser.java:75)
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.images.Images$1.run(Images.java:167)

The home page for BIV doesn't look hopeful as it hasn't been updated in quite some time. The dev used an old SDK and upgrading to a new one seems to be a heavy lift operation that he doesn't seem interested in doing.

I'm guessinging this is the end of BIV.

I'm assuming everyone has long switched over to UI 3.0 for the same functionality? How are you configuring Windows to startup up to a web browers and auto log in to UI 3.0?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

It is still working for me.

I recommend you whitelist the IP address of the device(s) you run this on. This will bypass most authentication problems that might occur.

Whitelist an IP in Blue Iris by going to Blue Iris Settings > Web server > Advanced, and type each address in the "Limit access by IP address" box on its own line and preceded by a ^ symbol. Connections coming from these addresses will automatically be granted administrator permission.

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what's going on then. I don't think it's a permissions issue as I can connect to BI via UI 3.0 from a browser just fine, and from the BI app on my phone, so it's not a firewall issue, or any other permission issue on the server it would seem. I've disabled all the Windows FW and APP security on the client, that didn't seem to help. The BIV packets are making it to the server, it just wont hand shake correctly.

I haven't touched the WebServer tab in years. The odd thing is, I don't even see the connection attempt in the BI log window.

I tried you suggestion, that didn't work either. Even removed the settings file and started over. Same outcome.

patja

n3wb
Reaction score
I am also experiencing this problem. Its been running perfectly for years, and just today started refusing to connect. I've rebooted both machines and reinstalled blueirisviewer.jar in a fresh folder.

Here's the error log:

2021/02/10 10:01:53 An exception has occurred in class org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.Utilities:
org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.ReAuthenticateException
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.Utilities.getViaHttpConnection(Utilities.java:163)
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.Utilities.getViaHttpConnection(Utilities.java:57)
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.util.Utilities.getStringViaHttpConnection(Utilities.java:259)
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.images.Images$1.run(Images.java:163)

2021/02/10 10:01:53 An exception has occurred in class org.brian.blueirisviewer.images.Images$1:
Unexpected token END OF FILE at position 0.
at org.json.simple.parser.JSONParser.parse(JSONParser.java:257)
at org.json.simple.parser.JSONParser.parse(JSONParser.java:81)
at org.json.simple.parser.JSONParser.parse(JSONParser.java:75)
at org.brian.blueirisviewer.images.Images$1.run(Images.java:167)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just whitelist the IP address of the device you're connecting from. I don't have time to figure out a better fix :)

Make sure your IP is statically assigned on that device, or has a DHCP reservation in the router.

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just whitelist the IP address of the device you're connecting from. I don't have time to figure out a better fix :)

Make sure your IP is statically assigned on that device, or has a DHCP reservation in the router.
I tried that, it didn't fix it. I was never able to resolve the problem. I switched over to UI 3.0.

I suspect that that the BI developer is tinkering with the login process.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it may be that version is not compatible with the latest versions of BI. Could easily be wrong about that though. I'm running 2.0.71 with BI version 5.3.9.5 with no problems.

patja

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got the client IP whitelisted. UI3 works fine. The error persists.

joewer

n3wb
Reaction score
Having the same problem here. I had to go back to 5.3.6.7 (12/20/2020) to get it to work again. Since the problem only cropped up for us when 5.3.9.7 (01/10/2021) was installed, I'm not sure why going back to 5.3.7.13 (1/4/2021) didn't solve the problem.

joewer

n3wb
Reaction score
Having the same problem here. I had to go back to 5.3.6.7 (12/20/2020) to get it to work again. Since the problem only cropped up for us when 5.3.9.7 (01/10/2021) was installed, I'm not sure why going back to 5.3.7.13 (1/4/2021) didn't solve the problem.
Correction: "when 5.3.9.7 (02/10/2021) was installed"