BlueIris with 8MP 4K (IPC2128SR5-ADF28KM-G) video looks like 1 FPS

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased a UNC 8MP 4K cam (ADF28KM-G) through Nelly's Security and added it without issue to my existing BI system. I'm using substream and D2D recording and CPU hovers around 30% ongoing. New clips go to SSD; Stored to an 8TB WD Purple. Video from this new cam looks like 1-3 FPS. Watching recorded clips or live view. And, via the web UI, the server (via RDP), or exporting to an MPEG and watching on a high-end system. If I live view via the web UI, it is similar at 4K (and it shows a few FPS). If I switch to 1080P, it's pretty normal and shows around 15 fps. I have used the native UNC app to connect directly to the cam (ie, remove BI) and it's crisp and smooth.

What am I missing? It sounds like not enough CPU, but BI and perfmon are showing average well less than 50%.

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
ALL clips should go to the WD Purple; only Windows, BI program and BI's "db" folder on the SSD.
Try having NEW go to the WD and see what happens.
Ok, I swapped New to also go to the WD Purple, size limited to 50GB, then move to Stored. Stored is on WD Purple, size limited to 2TB, then Delete. DB and Windows/BI Programs are on SSD.

FWIW, the 8MP cam's main stream is H.265, 3840x2160, 10FPS, CBR 5760, i frame 20. The sub is H.265, 720x576, 15FPS, 512 CBR, i frame 30. BI is dual homed, one NIC on an isolated VLAN with cameras, other NIC for access/management. Higher-end gigabit switch is only thing between cams and BI's video NIC.

With Web UI live view at 4k, frame rate shown is a bit better (4-5, CPU 50-55%) but it's still jerky compared to say 2MP.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No reason to move video from NEW to STORED unless it is going to a NAS.

But at the very least, NEVER move it from NEW to STORED on the same drive. All you are doing is consuming CPU and unnecessarily spinning the HDD, which could be contributing to your problem.

You didn't say what computer you have, but that seems like a higher CPU, so I suspect you are probably not running substreams in BI.

You should match FPS and iframe in both main and substream.

Post a screenshot of your BI Camera Status page that shows mainstream, substream, KEY, etc. along with the type of computer you are running.

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
I am definitely using substreams in BI -- CPU would be pegged otherwise. Proc is i7-6770HQ, 16 GB RAM.Untitled.png

No reason to move video from NEW to STORED unless it is going to a NAS.

But at the very least, NEVER move it from NEW to STORED on the same drive. All you are doing is consuming CPU and unnecessarily spinning the HDD, which could be contributing to your problem.

You didn't say what computer you have, but that seems like a higher CPU, so I suspect you are probably not running substreams in BI.

You should match FPS and iframe in both main and substream.

Post a screenshot of your BI Camera Status page that shows mainstream, substream, KEY, etc. along with the type of computer you are running.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What else is running on that machine? People here run 50 cameras on a 4th gen under 30% CPU.

Also turn off Hardware Acceleration in BI at the camera and global level. That could be contributing to your issue.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not offloading to a GPU.

It is best to just use the GPU now for AI and use substreams for BI.

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
It's basically dedicated to BI/NVR. It has DeepStack running on it -- had to do that as I have mature trees that cast shadows and make BI's native motion detection useless. Does it still make sense to turn off hardware acceleration and not offload to GPU?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow that still seems way high.

I just realized you have an HQ processor, so I take it that it is a laptop. so what is happening is it is being throttled due to temperature.

Yes you should still turn HA off, it is spending more CPU% to offload to the GPU than the savings and is probably contributing to your issue.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OP is using H.265 encoding, best practices are to use plain H.264, not H.264B, not H.264H. And IMHO, don't mix encoders (some cams H.264, some cams H.265), Blue Iris doesn't seem to tolerate that well. All cameras set to H.264. Use CBR, match FPS and iframe. Set at least 8192 Mb/s for 8MP.
Do you see this issue when viewing the camera thru the web interface?
Diagnose the camera settings first, leave Blue Iris out of it. If you have the camera set correctly, Blue Iris usually cooperates well.
If you say you've tried the UNC app and it works fine, are you speaking of on your phone?
I would say that app is not getting an 8MP feed, then shrinking it down to the size of your phone. Use the camera web interface on your computer and see what happens, you may be seeing skewed results by using an app on the phone.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OP is using H.265 encoding, best practices are to use plain H.264, not H.264B, not H.264H. And IMHO, don't mix encoders (some cams H.264, some cams H.265), Blue Iris doesn't seem to tolerate that well. All cameras set to H.264. Use CBR, match FPS and iframe. Set at least 8192 Mb/s for 8MP.
Diagnose the camera settings first, leave Blue Iris out of it. If you have the camera set correctly, Blue Iris usually cooperates well.
If you say you've tried the UNC app and it works fine, are you speaking of on your phone?
I would say that app is not getting an 8MP feed, then shrinking it down to the size of your phone. Use the camera web interface on your computer and see what happens, you may be seeing skewed results by using an app on the phone.
There is no issue running some cams 264 and others 265. I have a bunch of cams setup with 265 and they run great. Of course if the sub and main should be using the same settings. The issue is using an smart, + or AI codec where the i-frame intervals are dynamic. There is something else going on here.

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
I was using web browser with the UNV plugin on my i7 laptop to look at the cam directly (main stream, of course) and it looked smooth. My laptop's native screen resolution is 2560x1600. For grins, I plugged my laptop into my 32" 4K monitor and it was still smooth (maybe a bit less so, but nowhere near the 1-4 FPS via BI, and I never plug my laptop into that display and didn't spend any time tweaking settings).

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, when I watch recorded video in the BI Web UI from this cam, the first few seconds or so are choppy, but smoother than later. I imagine this is the substream and then jumping to the main stream, as the "1 FPS" mode starts as the video sharpens considerably.

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help and wanted to update back. I ended up moving to a newer machine with a faster i7 CPU and also going from Win Server 2012 R2 to Windows 10 Pro. The new machine has an NVidia T400 which I am not currently explicitly using and I installed a server-class Intel I350-T4 quad-port NIC and did a fresh install of BI. Finally, I did a full (versus quick) format of the 8TB WD Purple drive. Bottom line is the system now bumps along at 3-4% CPU and may jump to mid teens when there's a lot of motion and therefore AI analysis going and/or viewing 8MP video. And, that's with significantly bumped up frame rates. FWIW, I'm doing h.265 on the newer cams that support it and h.264 on the older ones that don't.