BlueIris iPhone app not connecting via VPN

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is really not a BlueIris issue, probably more of an iPhone issue and/or VPN issue, but I am wondering if anyone here might have gone through this and have an easy solution. I have OpenVPN set up on my router and have been remotely accessing BlueIris via my laptop and iPhone for a long time. All of a sudden it quit working on my iPhone, but still works fine from from my Windows laptop. Nothing has changed.... ip addresses, certs, etc. The VPN client on my iPhone connects instantly but for some reason BI doesn't seem to be finding the pipeline home. And it's not just BI... my remote desktop app to access the BI server PC on the iPhone also fails to connect, as does the browser directed to home network ip addresses. Unless someone here has a fix I suppose my next step will be to delete the iPhone VPN and redo it all. But I'd rather not... especially since the VPN itself indicates that it is connecting just fine.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL... I am home and BI connected just fine from the iPhone since I am on the LAN via wifi. So just for giggles I turned wifi off and tried again via 4G LTE to pretend I am remote and it works. After not working at all for 3 days via LTE or friends' wifi networks. No settings have changed. I guess this one will probably remain a mystery. I'll report back if it acts up again. Oh, remote desktop also connects immediately again. This must be some iOS quirk... I dunno. I hope it doesn't happen often... or really ever again.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, for additional data, whilst I was remote I rebooted the BI server PC and rebooted the router from my laptop remote desktop app. That didn't restore iPhone BI or RD connectivity.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Odd for sure!! I’m on iOS and use OpenVPN as well. Only time I’ve ever had an issue is when the WAN address would change to my true WAN instead of the LAN. Other than that it’s rock solid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup, mine was also rock solid until this weekend. One possible issue was that when it first failed I was on wifi at a house with Hughes satellite internet service. I suspected it might not work there and it didn't. But I thought it would come back once I was back in the "world" but it didn't... at least until I just reconnected from my home LAN .

Odd for sure!! I’m on iOS and use OpenVPN as well. Only time I’ve ever had an issue is when the WAN address would change to my true WAN instead of the LAN. Other than that it’s rock solid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
... After not working at all for 3 days via LTE or friends' wifi networks. No settings have changed. I guess this one will probably remain a mystery.
FWIW... 2-3 times a year staff with comcast internet at home are not able to access work resources (from their home) for anywhere from a day up to several days. Sometimes it affects all staff with comcast, other times it's been only comcast subscribers from a group of neighboring towns. Whether it's comcast preventing access to work ISP, or vice versa is unknown.

I would think it is a good chance that other non-comcast ISP's may encounter something similar, at times.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use Stunnel on the NVR PC, and that stoped working one day last year. Never did figure it out. I figured that Comcast changed my IP address but it hadn’t.

We have been home a lot so it didn’t matter that much but I wish I could get it fixed.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to follow up on this... It seems to be Comcast and Hughes blocking my Open VPN setup on the client end. I have Comcast on my home network using a Linksys router and the native onboard Open VPN server. I can access BI and remote desktop anywhere on my iPhone when I am connected to my VZ LTE network. But problems happen when I am on remote wifi networks.

I spend a lot of time with friends that have Xfinity service using a Linksys router and at another place that has Hughes sat service with a NetGear router. IOW, neither of these places use the ISP's routers.

At place number 1 I have full VPN connectivity on my iPhone for BI and remote desktop whilst on the VZ LTE network but when I jump on the wifi it won't connect at all. My laptop behaves similarly on their wifi, only I can get remote desktop to connect intermittently... it runs for about 15 seconds then drops out. At place number 2 I am totally SOL since I don't have LTE service there and nothing gets through the Hughes.

I guess I need to do some research on more robust VPNs that Comcast and Hughes don't block. This is strange. I wonder what component in their system would do this? Is it the modems? I'll try to log into the Xfinity DOSIS modem here and see if there are any offending settings.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to follow up on this... It seems to be Comcast and Hughes blocking my Open VPN setup on the client end. I have Comcast on my home network using a Linksys router and the native onboard Open VPN server. I can access BI and remote desktop anywhere on my iPhone when I am connected to my VZ LTE network. But problems happen when I am on remote wifi networks.

I spend a lot of time with friends that have Xfinity service using a Linksys router and at another place that has Hughes sat service with a NetGear router. IOW, neither of these places use the ISP's routers.

At place number 1 I have full VPN connectivity on my iPhone for BI and remote desktop whilst on the VZ LTE network but when I jump on the wifi it won't connect at all. My laptop behaves similarly on their wifi, only I can get remote desktop to connect intermittently... it runs for about 15 seconds then drops out. At place number 2 I am totally SOL since I don't have LTE service there and nothing gets through the Hughes.

I guess I need to do some research on more robust VPNs that Comcast and Hughes don't block. This is strange. I wonder what component in their system would do this? Is it the modems? I'll try to log into the Xfinity DOSIS modem here and see if there are any offending settings.
Did, or can you run any tracert commands to your home's router public (WAN) IP from the remote locations?

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How do you all manage the VPN on your iOS device? Do you leave OpenVPN on and connected 24/7? Or just turn it on when you want to check the app?

I only just got around to setting up OpenVPN using the built in feature on my Netgear router. I've got it working on my phone over 4G, but I'm thinking it might affect day to day other usage if I leave the VPN on all the time?

I was wondering if there was a way to force just Blue Iris to connect via VPN?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe most connect oVPN to check-in on things, then terminate the VPN connection.

Some have alert email notifications set-up. This allows more of a real-time notification to their mobile device (via email), without keeping oVPN connected 24/7