Blue Iris V5 Deepstack - Person detect close to camera - Further away Peson or Car not Detected

rgj34169

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris V5 Deepstack - Hikvision Bullet Camera - area - front of House (35 feet X 25 feet) Person detected - 2-20 feet close to camera - the Further away Peson or Car are they are not Detected at all by Deepstack.
I'm using Zones A and B, no object travels, or object size selected. I found out that a problem with shadow triggers was elimated by using Vector Edge. But noticed we were not getting Car notifications coming or going.
I have tried full range of min object size and object contrast. Still no record or alert.

Any Help or advice.

Thanks

Joe

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
During the day or night or both? Is your camera set to auto/default settings or have you dialed in the settings like shutter speed, contrast, etc.?

Post some screenshots showing the field of view and screenshots of your current settings in BI for the camera.

A video of motion showing it missed will be helpful as well.

rgj34169

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the Reply.

This happens both day and night. My camera is set to default settings Like I said it is Hikvison Bullet 4 mp 4.0 mm lens.
I'm attaching the Blue Iris Settings, but I don't know how to capture missed events. I have my system set to Motion detect only.

Again Thanks for the reply.

Joe

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Field of View is a little high, but it should still pick it up. Everything there looks correct.

I would try decreasing the make time. That is a small area being looked at. Try like 0.3 and adjust from there.

At a minimum, go into the camera GUI and set the FPS and iframes to match. I would recommend 15FPS and 15 iframes. If your iframes are double or triple, that could explain the miss.

What do the BI logs say - is it erroring out or does it say not detected?

Post a screenshot of the BI logs and the Camera Status page in BI that shows what FPS and KEY and bitrates the camera is sending to BI.

rgj34169

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the Reply. How do I change the Field of View? I will change the make Time Although I tried .5 and it did no make a difference.

I'm attaching what you asked for.

Thanks Again.

Joe

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Field of View would be changed by lowering the camera, which you may or may not be able to do.

Everything you posted here seems like it should be detecting. I am not seeing any errors of DeepStack.

For kicks make it simple instead of edge vector and change time to 0.0 and change confidence to 10% and let's see if you can get it to trigger a DeepStack detection.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Triggering based on the object crossing zones A and B is not setup correctly. YOu only have B.
It would need to look like this "A-B", not like you have it.
Try setting the the min contrast lower, and the min object size a littl bigger if need be.
You can run the clip through "test through motion detection" to see what is or is not triggering.
Then do a walk test, to test and verify, in different lighting conditions, to fine tune.
Also see this subject on the Blue Iris support Youtube channel.

JL-F1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, if you choose 'when triggered' instead of 'when alerted' in 'record' you will get the clips of just motion and DS found nothing and you can view them to analyze, in 'cancelled alerts'
I do that alot while tuning everything

rgj34169

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
I just came back after going out. The car went out and returned. I put the System on Record - Continous + Alerts. I see the car going out and later returning and no Alerts or triggers.

I will first try to change Object crossing zones. But I have to say the system pick person coming up to the front door and going out the front door.

Just won't pick up car in the drive way.

I paid for the Blue Iris Premium Support but I still have to wait a day or 2 for a reply.

Honestly. when someone says "set the the min contrast lower, and the min object size a little bigger.
I don't know if I should move the Contrast to a lower number 12 - 84 or Object Size 100 - 1100???
I don't know where to find "test through motion detection". I can read but it would help if I understood what I was reading.
You can run the clip through "test through motion detection" to see what is or is not triggering.

What is a walk Test? I will repeat my problem, Person in and out of Front Door Works. But In and out of Garage does not.
Then do a walk test, to test and verify, in different lighting conditions, to fine tune.

I will try changing the Zones first.
I will also change Record - Trigger , instead of Alert.

Thanks again.
I'm sorry if I'm not smart enough to use this program.

Thanks

Joe

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
I just came back after going out. The car went out and returned. I put the System on Record - Continous + Alerts. I see the car going out and later returning and no Alerts or triggers.

I will first try to change Object crossing zones. But I have to say the system pick person coming up to the front door and going out the front door.

Just won't pick up car in the drive way.

I paid for the Blue Iris Premium Support but I still have to wait a day or 2 for a reply.

Honestly. when someone says "set the the min contrast lower, and the min object size a little bigger.
I don't know if I should move the Contrast to a lower number 12 - 84 or Object Size 100 - 1100???
I don't know where to find "test through motion detection". I can read but it would help if I understood what I was reading.

What is a walk Test? I will repeat my problem, Person in and out of Front Door Works. But In and out of Garage does not.

I will try changing the Zones first.
I will also change Record - Trigger , instead of Alert.

Thanks again.
I'm sorry if I'm not smart enough to use this program.

Thanks

Joe

Take your flag down and test again. The slightest movement of the flag into your field of view causes Deepstack to start analyzing. If this happens at all when there's a real trigger in your view, you'll likely miss it. I look at it like this: A car is 8 seconds away from your camer and is approaching quickly. The flag flutters, causing Deepstack to begin analysis; it finds nothing and cancels the alert just about the time the car pulls into the driveway...missing the alert.

Change your contrast to 19, 20, 21 or 22...any of those should cover any lighting. I have most of mine at 14. Change the size representation to detect a bird on the ground at 30 feet if you want. But if you're not interested, then make it dog size.

When playing back a clip, right click and select Testing and Tuning, then check analyze with motion detector. Remember to turn it off when done...it uses some CPU resources. (Same with Deepstack analysis and uses ALOT of resources).

Walk in front of your cameras to test your trigger/alert setup...walk test.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Last edited:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, as Looney pointed out, you might have your zone rule wrong. You have Zone A covering most of your walkway and driveway. Under Zone A, you have Zone B which covers the same area minus the walkway up to the front porch. What are you trying to accomplish? Since you have Zone B in the object detection rules, Zone A is not serving any purpose. If someone or something has positioned themselves in your front yard walkway, BI won't trigger unless the object moves to your driveway. The flag is not in Zone B, but you'll see when you review clips with motion detection analysis on, the motion detection box will frequently extend well into Zone B. That's likely why you have two zones? If so, play around with redrawing Zones A and B where an object must pass through Zone A before Zone B. Write the rule in this example as A-B in order to detect objects coming and going from Zone A to Zone B or B to A. You'll have to be creative to keep the flag out of the equation.

rgj34169

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input but noting worked. Zones or object size.
What I changed was the Algorithm: I had it set to Edge Vector and that seem to work for sun shadows. But then it completly stopped and that was then I submitted the post.
Well, I changed the Algorithm to Simple and canceled Cancel Shadows (deprecated). And I set the Ip camera Configuration to Hikvision DS-2CDxxxx RTSP.
It has been working good during the day BUT it won't pick up a car in the driveway in ir mode.

Thanks for all the help.

Joe