Blue iris setup for multiple physical city locations.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Simple question I think but I have never tried this... So I have blue iris installed on a laptop at my home in Ohio. Its running BI 4.x. I have a 2nd house in KY with a different cable modem and Router. Can I add a Foscam camera in KY and then use the laptop in Ohio to configure the camera and do all recording? Or do I need to install a 2nd laptop w/BI software in KY? What are the pluses and minus of doing this?

House 1: Has laptop running BI 4.x, Cable modem, Router, 8 Foscam Cameras
House 2: Has Cable modem and Router. Will add 1-4 Foscam Cameras. Does not have a laptop/Does not have BI software installed.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure, you can set up a VPN between the 2 houses, then add IP cameras and connect from blue iris
to new cameras.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are there performance issues when you are sending the video feed from 1 location to the other ? I have a fiber at one end (where all 8 cameras are) and 23 down 5 up on the other end (where I have 1-4 cameras to install). I always use the web app on my phone to view cameras remotely.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Are there performance issues when you are sending the video feed from 1 location to the other ? I have a fiber at one end (where all 8 cameras are) and 23 down 5 up on the other end (where I have 1-4 cameras to install). I always use the web app on my phone to view cameras remotely.
I have 3 down 1.5 up at one location, and bring a low res picture 3 frames/sec back with no problem.
It's enough to see whats happening, then log in to main stream if needed.
They don't really notice performance difference on that end. It's only used for email, alarm, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and avoid foscam like the plague. Setup a second pc at the other location. You can buy a desktop for 100 bux that is more than capable .