Blue Iris Question

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand that BI has remote capability via the Android and iOS apps. It also appears to offer a built-in webserver so it can be accessed remotely that way as well. Does the webserver offer PTZ control of the PTZ (Axis) cameras? What about PTZ with the apps? Or do you have to be on the physical machine that BI is installed to use that. Can you also access the audio streams from the cameras for live and recorded view via remote?

I'm thinking about spinning up a VM and installing BI onto that so I'll never be on the machine that BI is installed onto. It's a headless Linux box. If I can't have PTZ and audio capabilities remotely, I'll have to keep looking for other solutions.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I think I'm going to try it for 15 days via the trial period and see how it operates in a VM. The host is pretty beefy so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I think I'm going to try it for 15 days via the trial period and see how it operates in a VM. The host is pretty beefy so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
remember to see optimizing bi in the wiki.
Also note that the demo uses more cpu than the licensed version due to the overlay.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When using BI, what you really want is to make use of Intel Quicksync (assuming you have a Intel CPU). With a VM this is a bit tricky, you'll need to passthrough the onboard gpu.