Blue Iris and nvr at same time

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have some one that wants to have an nvr and blue Iris setup on same lan at once. Anyone done this before with any issues? It's a hikvision setup

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the cameras are IP cams and the plan is for Blue Iris to stream from each cam, as long as the cams can support multiple streams (i.e. NVR + Blue Iris), I think it should work (barring any unusual network setup).

If the plan is to have Blue Iris try and pull camera video from the NVR (vs. going directly to the cameras), then I don't know.

tony_331

n3wb
Reaction score
Hope you can help with diagnosing my camera situation:

Moving 6 Reolink cameras (4x RLC-410 + 2x RLC-420) from my RLN8-410 NVR to Blue Iris
5 of the 6 cameras are up and running in BI - 1 RLC-420 does not appear available via Find/Inspect.

All cameras are now plugged into a new PoE switch
NVR is still plugged into router.
Simultaneously, ALL cameras still appear in the NVR, but only 5 of 6 appear in BI.

For the camera in question (one of the RLC-420):
Again, perfectly functioning in the NVR, cannot Find/Inspect in BI.
Manually typing in the IP & Find/Inspect yields no results.
Verified that cabling is not the problem
It does appear as an object in the list of connected devices on my router.
I am able to ping the camera successfully.
When I try to directly access the camera via a browser, the IP address cannot be found (worked ok for the other cameras)
Nothing in the NVR seems to let me diagnose the camera

Other than that, yes, I’m operating the NVR and Blue Iris on the same LAN.

Any ideas on troubleshooting my camera?

Smalljob

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using both at the same time. Just started with Blue IRIS running on a dedicated Windows 10 PC I had laying around, and I have a 4 port NVR. I have 1 POE camera through a POE switch , one wifi camera and then 4 POE cameras through the NVR. for the 4 cameras on the NVR I am allowing them to continuously record on the NVR, but using BI to capture alerts. It saves on CPU resources on the PC. If an alert does not give me enough information and I want to look at a larger window I can go to the NVR to to look at more data. The cameras not on the NVR are using the PC with BI.

It did take me awhile to get BI to see the cameras behind the NVR, but once I figured it out no problems. My cameras and NVR are Amcrest. Let me know if you need more information.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hope you can help with diagnosing my camera situation:

Any ideas on troubleshooting my camera?
Reolink's own site offers little info regarding ONVIF compatibility but a seller on amazon says it is, so take that for what it's worth.
I mention this because have you tried ODM ? Put in the IP, user and password and select "live view".

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm using a 8 port POE HikVision NVR with Blue Iris running simultaneously with a total of 24 cameras on a i5 computer. I don't remember the exact specs anymore since I put everything together over 3 years ago. Everything runs smoothly. I have the Hik blocked from the internet and use using BI to view all cameras.

MaryMorton

n3wb
Reaction score
I use both with no issues. You can use the stream for each camera on the NVR in Blue Iris which is helpful if the cameras are plugged directly into the NVR.
I recently purchased Blue Iris to do just this (record on the NVR, view on my PC using Blue Iris). For the life of me I cannot get BI to see the camera stream. I've used the IP and ports that my cam manufacture says to use with BI, but no luck. . ExtremeSkiBum also has this setup working. I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly. Open to suggestions if you have them

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to use the IP address and user and password of the NVR. Which NVR do you have?

MaryMorton

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to use the IP address and user and password of the NVR. Which NVR do you have?
Thanks. I tried that too, but still I'm getting the errors that say "failed to connect" "no signal". It's a LaView LV-N9808C8E NVR (the NVR I have, not the one I want). The LaView instructions to connect to BI only say to "use the correct ip address, user name and password" without being more helpful than that. Nothing comes up when I search/find in BI. Their customer service is abysmal, so I don't even bother anymore. (edit to clarify- It's the LaView customer service that really sucks).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently purchased Blue Iris to do just this (record on the NVR, view on my PC using Blue Iris). For the life of me I cannot get BI to see the camera stream. I've used the IP and ports that my cam manufacture says to use with BI, but no luck. . ExtremeSkiBum also has this setup working. I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly. Open to suggestions if you have them
Make/model of NVR?
Please post screenshot of BI's "camera settings" => "Video" => "configure" page for that NVR?

MaryMorton

n3wb
Reaction score
Make/model of NVR?
Please post screenshot of BI's "camera settings" => "Video" => "configure" page for that NVR?
It's a LaView LV-N9808C8E. I'm out of town and can't access it at the moment to grab a screen shot.

johnstjs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It works fine for me. All IP cameras, a Dahua NVR, and Blue Iris. I have it set up this way for redundancy (recording to multple locations in case either BI or NVR go down). The thing I would caution against is using the IP ports that may be on the NVR. They will use a different network than the outer port of the NVR which also means BI is on a differnt network than the cameras. This would rely on the NVR to do the routing functions. Easier just to get a Gb PoE switch so that all of the cameras, the NVR, and BI are on the same network.