Blizzard knocks out my PTZ

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I had to unplug My Dahua SD49225T-HN tonight as we are having a blizzard. This cam has been through many storms, but it couldn't hold up to this one. I figured it is just frozen and won't pan or tilt anymore but was still producing video stream. I unplugged it just to be safe and not damage anything hopefully. Here is a little capture of storm from another one of my cameras.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
hopefully will recover once it warms up again. no heater element in that model, i guess...

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A while back, i noticed that it has something what looks like a heater pad around the fan. But i don't know if it is used as a heater, or not.

I've posted a picture of it in the thread about the SD49225T-HN. Maybe i can find that picture again.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Snow and ice piling in the side seams will cause that. I had that happen in a blizzard. Keep the camera on to at least see a video feed. Usually the next day the sun is enough to melt the caked up snow that's blocking movement and all is well. Check every so often but don't force it. If you can reach the camera you could try clearing it out too, but use caution. Once the blockage melts the camera will work as normal again.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Snow and ice piling in the side seams will cause that. I had that happen in a blizzard. Keep the camera on to at least see a video feed. Usually the next day the sun is enough to melt the caked up snow that's blocking movement and all is well. Check every so often but don't force it. If you can reach the camera you could try clearing it out too, but use caution. Once the blockage melts the camera will work as normal again.
I ended up plugging it back in and disabled the PTZ control in BI just in case my family checked it and tried to use it. I wasn't sure about it going through its pan/tilt routine at boot up, but apparently it will boot ok without it moving, because it is still stuck, but does produce stream. At least the sun is out now but 10 and add a 28mph wind the WC is -11. I'm hoping the black face absorbs those rays.

Cam4.20190224_091530646.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With my PTZ, I attempt to "park it" in a direction that I hope will lessen the snow's impact. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.
But I agree, leave it plugged in with the PTZ controls disabled.
Once it thaws, in the cam Gui, click the PTZ Restart button, to get presets back to normal.

Homer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is that white stuff ? It's barbecue weather over here :wave:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
This was the picture of the possible heater pad i was mentioning before:

View attachment 39605
That sure looks like some kind of heating coil. I still haven't tore mine down to clean the inside of lens cover and it looks like it will be spring before I do. I am glad to report all the PTZ functions came back once the CPU temp hit 50F. This storm had every thing thunder, lightning, rain, freezing rain and then 50 mph winds.....no wonder it froze up. This thing just continues to amaze me. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking :)

stats.jpg

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have to say, and knock on wood, that mine is also running fine through the weathers. And it is exposed to the elements for sure, although we don't have that hard winters, we sure have plenty of rain, very hard winds, and in the summer it is hot and dusty :D

May i ask which firmware you run on your cam?

I'm running 2.623.0000000.7.R.R4.2510.9A.NR, Build Date: 2018-11-24, and if i go to Life Statistics, i don't get those extended statistics anymore.

Only Total Working Time, Upgrade Times and Last Upgrade Date.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to say, and knock on wood, that mine is also running fine through the weathers. And it is exposed to the elements for sure, although we don't have that hard winters, we sure have plenty of rain, very hard winds, and in the summer it is hot and dusty :D

May i ask which firmware you run on your cam?

I'm running 2.623.0000000.7.R.R4.2510.9A.NR, Build Date: 2018-11-24, and if i go to Life Statistics, i don't get those extended statistics anymore.

Only Total Working Time, Upgrade Times and Last Upgrade Date.
Sure, Here is what I run. I am a little skeptical about upgrading anymore, not sure what this means ? (underlined section)

ver.jpg

Annotation 2019-02-24 162524.jpg

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Tinman , thanks for the reply.

Yeah, after the HDW5231R-ZE disaster with the latest firmware being very buggy, and not being able to downgrade to previous firmware via the conventional way, i'm also very skeptical about upgrading in the future.

But my SD49225T-HN runs fine on the latest firmware, so i will leave it at that for a long time.

About the PTZ lifespan limiting thing, i'm still a bit confused about it, as Dahua is a bit shady about it. You could have multiple possibilities on this.
  • Maybe they have set a limit to the steppers, for the total movements they can make. (That would be such a bad move from them)
  • Or they have set a time limit, to prevent the steppers to overheat, due to excessive movements (Tour, Pan, User)
Self-Protection mechanism IMHO would be a overheating protection, that resets after a given time or temperature change. But then they mention "Lifespan limit" that does not make any sense with the self-protection.

I guess we will have to either test it out, or just wait for it :D

PS: They also say that the sensor is switched to the IMX327. Did not know that they can switch a physical sensor with a firmware update haha. But i think that the new batch of camera's will have that sensor or whatever.

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad all is well with the ptz. Assuming the camera isn't actually moving 24/7, they can last for years and years as far as movement. The first thing to go is the IR'S. My ptz is over 8 years old and the wide IR was done in the 6th year. When I zoom in the others kick on strong as usual. But when fully zoomed out the IR would blink and then just finally gave out. They're on every night and these bigger IR'S do have a finite lifespan.