Bit Rate

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to use the manual settings on my Dahua 5442T-ZE camera. In the camera interface I have the bit rate set to 8192. However, when I select the camera in Blue Iris it displays about 1024. I have one camera for testing and I set sub-streams off for now. I do have direct to disk recording set. I'm thinking there is something wrong as I would expect Blue Iris to have the same bit rate as the camera. Is there something I'm missing or is this how it should be? Please advise. Thank you.

Martin

Attachments

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The camera is Kbps, BI shows kBps. K, when capitalized, means 1,024, when lower case, means 1,000. The B, when capitalized means bytes, or 8 bits, and when lower case means bits. I generally ignore the K vs k as the difference is 2.4%. In your case, you have the camera set to a max bit rate of 8,192 Kbps which technically equates to 1,000 kBps. So everything is correct.

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera is Kbps, BI shows kBps. K, when capitalized, means 1,024, when lower case, means 1,000. The B, when capitalized means bytes, or 8 bits, and when lower case means bits. I generally ignore the K vs k as the difference is 2.4%. In your case, you have the camera set to a max bit rate of 8,192 Kbps which technically equates to 1,000 kBps. So everything is correct.
Thank you, very well explained.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sadly... it still is for many. Then when you attempt to 'splain the implications.. you most often get the bewildered, silent blink response
Well, Spiff. That one takes the cake. I'm still chuckling. There should be an acronym for "bewildered silent blink response" (BSBR), but it would probably never catch on unless you could somehow attach that clip to it. Too good!!

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sadly... it still is for many. Then when you attempt to 'splain the implications.. you most often get the bewildered, silent blink response

I can't be the only one who saw this .gif glitching away and thought 'hey, that's an iFrame interval twice the FPS...'. :rofl: