Bird feeder

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's a good camera option for a bird feeder (wifi or ethernet), but I would run a power source (no batteries) to place very near a bird feeder? THANKS!

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a IPC-T5442TM-AS on the house pointed at the bird feeders.
We have 3 of them all clustered in one area, so works well.
Running POE, so no problems with power or Wifi cutting out.

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was hoping to put something within a few inches or a foot of the birds. So I need something that can focus in really near. I should’ve made that clear sorry.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use one of these mini cameras inside a birdhouse. They run XMeye software (garbage) but they output an RTSP stream and work with ONVIF for motion detection.
There is outdoor versions too. One pictured is an indoor non-POE version.

However.... price of these is almost the same as grey-market Dahua cameras. Dahua cameras on a Dahua NVR is better than generic cameras (Doesn't matter if you are running BI).
and to be honest, my grey market Dahua camera has far better image quality than this.

non_poe.JPG

*NVR didn't record soon enough as I had not set pre and post record times.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know this thread is a year old, but does anyone have experience with any of the AI bird cams? There seem to be a number of cameras with integrated wifi, solar, AI, etc.. Not for watching a nest, but for capturing the different birds who visit. I checked Amazon and found a wide variety of these cameras.

Are there any OSS DYI projects? I'd be happy to build a POE camera bird feeder, but the software to identify the birds and such is probably what takes the time.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Biggest thing I see is most of them are wireless.
If it's not used for security, that might not be a problem for you.
Otherwise, a POE would be the way to go.
I have a bird house, but it would be hard for a bird to get inside.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've gotten interested in this subject too. But the thing is; it's not worth €100+ to me. A Dahua camera would be the easiest (easy integration with other camera's and NVR) but the cheapest one ( IPC-T2431T-AS) is still close to €100.
Dahua doesn't seem to stock cheaper camera's anymore. Also the IPC-K42A could have been interesting; but also EOL.

All other options have their drawbacks.
ESP32-cam is dirt cheap, but very poor performance. (also no IR, no audio, no ethernet etc.).
I have some Yi camera's (with custom firmware) Image quality is fine but stability is very poor. Also no ethernet.

So camera's are either not good enough or they're to expensive. (for this purpose; it would just be a little fun thing on the side).

As for the bird recognition; there's lot's going on with AI. You could make custom models if you want: