BI vs NVR

Ironheadchop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I am in the process of building my setup and am still trying to figure out the best way to get my video. Should I get a NVR and not use a switch and an additional PC, or go with a POE switch and buy the Blue Iris software? What do most people use? Would one be better over the other?

Looking at getting this switch to use with a spare PC and the BI software. -
Or this NVR -

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Looking at getting this switch to use with a spare PC and the BI software. - https://a.co/d/013XiFy
That POE switch is a 10/100mb switch, including the uplink. Stay clear of that. The uplink should be 1gb or you might have issues.

Make sure you know what the POE requirements are of each cam and buy a POE switch that can supply that much wattage.

Ironheadchop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That POE switch is a 10/100mb switch, including the uplink. Stay clear of that. The uplink should be 1gb or you might have issues.

Make sure you know what the POE requirements are of each cam and buy a POE switch that can supply that much wattage.
Do you have a suggestion on an 8port POE switch? I only plan on having 4 cameras 6 at the most so 8 would be plenty for later for me. Also i cant find the power consumption for the 5442 vari focals.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I came here a couple years ago planning on a NVR. After research here, went with BI, two years now and very happy, paid for the extended support at the end of year one, primarily because of the ongoing updates and tweaks, an excellent product just gets better at time goes by. It is a great piece of software, great results running with default settings, even better results when you take the time to learn the software and fine tune too your specific cameras and layout.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have a suggestion on an 8port POE switch? I only plan on having 4 cameras 6 at the most so 8 would be plenty for later for me. Also i cant find the power consumption for the 5442 vari focals.
Basic power consumption: 1.9W (12V DC); 2.2W (PoE) Max. power consumption H.265 + max. stream + intelligent function + IR LED+focus: 6W (12V DC); 6.9W (PoE)

I planned on 4 cams, 6 at most, outgrew my 8 port switch.

Reaction score
I am partial to the Netgear POE switches. That is all I have now. Had a couple of TDLink switches years ago that crapped out and ended up changing them for Netgear. But lots of folks have had on issues with the TDLinks ones.

I have a few and the one below is a good 8 port POE. Realisze that one port will have to be used as the uplink, so this will only supply seven cams with connectivity.

Amazon.com: NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE+ Switch (GS308PP) - with 8 x PoE+ @ 83W, Desktop or Wall Mount : Industrial & Scientific

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Gigabit.....you can run all your stuff off this without lag,,,,

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You don’t mention what it is you are monitoring.
Its important to match the camera security solution to the concern at hand.

If it is pets, house-sitter, babysitter while you are away: NVR
If it is your car, garage, yard, something of financial value: BI

No matter what direction you take, make sure you have AI somewhere in your equipment chain!

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I am in the process of building my setup and am still trying to figure out the best way to get my video. Should I get a NVR and not use a switch and an additional PC, or go with a POE switch and buy the Blue Iris software? What do most people use? Would one be better over the other?

Looking at getting this switch to use with a spare PC and the BI software. -
Or this NVR -
If you are going with remote access with your phone, Its better to use an NVR for most since you don't have to set up a VPN infrastructure.
BI is good for local in house operations, and can be used to redundant record the cameras. Which the easiest way to add it on an NVR is to just plug it into a camera port and static configure it to the camera's network

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI is good for local in house operations, and can be used to redundant record the cameras. Which the easiest way to add it on an NVR is to just plug it into a camera port and static configure it to the camera's network
Or....
stream from the NVR by connecting the NVR's LAN to the same LAN and subnet as the BI server, in BI create new camera, put in NVR's LAN IP and find/inspect, use drop-down for channel #1, repeat by creating NEW camera for the remaining cameras using same NVR LAN IP but each time change channel number in drop-down from 1 to 2, then 3, etc. until all cams are displayed.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You make a VPN sound daunting with words like ‘infrastructure’.
I think this characterization is a tad misleading as setting up a VPN is pretty straightforward.
VPNs are easier to hack than cloud NVR access.
VPN you have to buy into infrastructure like replacing the router with a good $400 router because port forwarding a computer that is hosting a VPN server can be hacked. DDNS and Static IPs are extra costs. Free DDNS are prone to hackers.
Cloud VPNs are ok, but you have to buy a router and preferably one that uses a good encryption system instead of self signed certificates (that can be hacked)
Setting up a VPN securely is not always straight forward. Programmers made it easy to set up, but you can set up the VPN easily so its prone to being hacked so you have to watch what you doing and not use self-signed certificates.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are going with remote access with your phone, Its better to use an NVR for most since you don't have to set up a VPN infrastructure.
Whether you are going to choose an NVR or BI. Best practice is to utilize VPN connectivity for remote access, never use port forwarding.