BI viewing console for 2 BI installs?

yellowgto

n3wb
Reaction score
I've seen it mentioned but can't really find solid instructions. How do you setup a dedicated viewing box with 2 blue iris install with 40 cameras each?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want all the cameras on screen at once, use the web interface and position the browser window(s) accordingly.

If one at a time is okay, then you could use Blue Iris 5's remote console function. That is in Blue Iris Status > Remote tab.

You can't really aggregate two systems together into one seamless interface if that is what you were hoping for.

yellowgto

n3wb
Reaction score
Man, thats a shame. Anyway to push a bI install to 72 cams? (with 2 licenses of course). Maybe a 3rd party solution of polling RTSP streams? I would really hate to split to a new UI for alternate views of the same spaces.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You could ask Blue Iris support if they would remove the limit. That would be the only way to get past 64 cameras.

You can combine video streams from multiple cameras into one using a second Blue Iris instance, by creating groups with multiple cameras in them and then streaming the group video out of Blue Iris's web server to act as a virtual camera. But this is incredibly CPU intensive and not really practical.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unless there is an overriding reason to have more access than the UI3 web interface provides, then I would just run 2 instances of BI (on separate hardware) and view each instance's UI3 stream on a separate monitor at full screen.
There are very few things that a user/viewer would need that can not be made available via UI3. And this way the BI servers could be located in a more secure location than under a receptionist's desk (don't laugh, I have seen it)

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In a recent webinar, Ken mentioned that one of the things in the pipeline for development is a much better way to combine the view of the cameras from multiple servers into one view. This along with direct AI integration (which just came out) seemed to be high on his priority list.

yellowgto

n3wb
Reaction score
That would be great. Im currently loading two UI3 windows side by side. I have all 76 cameras running though two Proliants. Crushes this old garbage hikvision box.
rack2.PNG

I don't even think would would need to change anything in BI. Ah, maybe someway to pass around a SSO token. You just need to be able poll multiple instances from a single UI3 instance. I would actually prefer a dedicated UI3 box, because it would make it easier piping it though the reverse proxy on the DMZ. Unfortunately, i'm a terrible programmer.
Regardless, it runs great. Fantastic work from BI team and BP. Keep up the good work.