BI on Intel NUC6i7KYK?

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone tried running BI on the i7 NUC with either an external USB-C Thunderbolt or SATA drive (open case) connection, with the OS on the internal M.2? I would think that it would work pretty well. Not really cheaper, but smaller.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-mini-NUC6i7KYK-Core/dp/B01DJ9XS52

So far, i am stuck around $700 for a two year old Dell Optiplex i7 6700 in a SFF or mini-tower (plus the HDD)

EBAY:
Dell Factory refurbished:

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Could you provide some more detail about the configuration you want to/were running? I have the 6I7KYK with 32GB of memory and two M.2 drives in RAID 0 for 1TB of space, and so far I'm very happy with the performance but I am not going over 8 cameras or so. CPU usage swings between 3 and 25%.

Reaction score
I've been using an Intel NUC 5i5ry for the past 6 months continuously with Blue Iris, running 3 cams off of it, works extremely well, but one needs to do a fair amount of tweaking and tuning win7 64 to make it usable. It is not going to work right out of the box with just a basic win7 install and no tweaks.

Screen shot from the NUC:

And the BI screenshot:

As it stands, I'm running 2 wifi cams (the two top cams in the image above), and one wired cam (shop2 cam), all are running at 2.1MP @ 20fps. The three cams are being recorded to a generic usb3 external drive case with a 2tb WD purple drive. I am using an Intel 320 series SSD for my main drive.

Oh yeah, this machine is used only for Blue Iris and nothing else. I don't use it at all, and as you can see, I'm using TightVNC to even access the machine from my other computers in the house. As for acessing it outside of my network, I'm using IP Cam Viewer on my android phone to pull up realtime video from BI when I'm not home, it works quite well and haven't had any issues with the setup, other than a bad wifi cam several months ago (which is now the wired cam you see in the image above).

One thing I will say about this setup, BI refused to install as a 64 bit program, most likely due to me tweaking the os way too far! 32 bit BI is what I ended up running, and that's what you see in the image above.

I'm very happy with the way this thing runs, its cool, silent, small and mounts right to the back of an older monitor, so its out of sight, out of mind. Unless someone actually turns the monitor on, nobody knows that its the surveillance machine!

Reaction score
Also, "won't work without lots of tweaking" can you be more specific about why you said this? I installed it "out of the box" and it "just works". Are you using some handed down for generations Win7 Ult key from the internet? The last time I saw Windows 7 Ultimate was at the Microsoft movie theater thing where they handed them out to everyone that showed up, or by getting one by hosting a Windows 7 launch party =D

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Could you provide some more detail about the configuration you want to/were running? I have the 6I7KYK with 32GB of memory and two M.2 drives in RAID 0 for 1TB of space, and so far I'm very happy with the performance but I am not going over 8 cameras or so. CPU usage swings between 3 and 25%.
That is good data. Have you thought about using an external drive for more time?

I will probably have around 9 cameras. i will probably be streaming ~2 mbps from each unless i get some 8mp versions or H265 gets supported.

Reaction score
I don't need the storage on this application because I have a dedicated NVR with 4TB of storage for "overall footage capture". I'm evaluating Blue Iris and Sighthound both and their application is more for meaningful notifications, where I will go look at the clip sooner than later. If need be, the permanent NVR will have all the footage I need. I literally only slice out like 100GB of total storage for either application. So far, my preference is for Sighthound.

Reaction score
First of all, I used win7 ultimate because I have the oem dvd, why should I install win10 when I already have win7 working just fine?

Good for you that your system worked right out of the box with no issues. My system did not, I also have an i5, not i7 like you, and you have twice the memory than I. I stated that win7 should be tweaked to perform well, it was my experience with my setup that a fair amount of unnecessary services needed to be disabled, as well as several other tweaks that I did, which makes BI run flawless.

If the OP gets his running without tweaks, more power to him. However, its with a bit of warning that if he does use a NUC for BI with a usb hard drive, its possible he may need to do some tweaking on the system to keep resources comfortable for BI. Case in point, poster #2 had a similar experience as I had when I first got my NUC running BI. A bit of cleaning up of win7 and the system is perfectly stable, very little resources are used, its reliable and doesn't take much power nor does it need a large footprint.