BI not deleting old footage as planned.

Reaction score
Hi oh you wise people!
Our BI is set up to save clips for 31 days or 8TB - whichever comes first, I guess. This weekend I got an alert from our IT department that disk space was running low. The drive is 10.9TB, so there is normally plenty space.
And indeed, the drive was full, and I can see data a lot older than 31 days, and of course there is more than 8TB.

So how come the rules of storage dont work?
And now I am deleting clips older than 31 days - do I need to rebuild the database afterwards?

Thanks in advance :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post screenshots of your clips and archiving for all options - New, Stored, Alerts, Aux1, etc.. It is normally user error and they have an extra zero or moved it to storage on the same drive with a longer retention or something.

Reaction score
Dear Wittaj
Of course, here goes:
As I understand it, when I select "Delete" in the "New" folder, there will not be moved clips to any other folders? Except of course alerts. So, my total data usage, should be limited to 8000GB + 1000GB alerts.
1677499278830.png

1677499502963.png

1677499530108.png

1677499551061.png

AUX 2-13 is like
1677499610319.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That seems about right, but why put any limits on drives not used (not that that is the problem, but since moving nothing to stored, you should have that as zero.) Surprised you don't have an over allocation issue in BI.

Is there anything else on the drive? If there isn't at least 10% free space, then it can't properly delete and record at same time.

Unless you are saving a ton of high rez alerts, 1GB for alerts should be enough.

Do you have any flagged videos or alerts? Those are not erased by default under clips/archiving and will continue to build and not be deleted.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answers Wittaj.
Usually, I have just below 4 TB free of the 10.9 TB total - so well over 10%. I will investigate if there are any flagged clips - I don't know if the system can do that by itself? I dont know how to do that, so I didn't do it.
e:\BlueIrisAlerts is empty - so I could leave the space for this much smaller. I do indeed get a warning about e: being -2.95T too small.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you follow the clip folder naming and nesting conventions as described in BI's built-in "Help", at "Recording and Clips" => "Clip Folders".

Also, without making any assumptions here, in Windows Explorer did you create those folders yourself on the respective drives, such as your listed "E:\BlueIrisAlerts" and "E:\BlueIris" ?

Reaction score
I suggest you follow the clip folder naming and nesting conventions as described in BI's built-in "Help", at "Recording and Clips" => "Clip Folders".

Also, without making any assumptions here, in Windows Explorer did you create those folders yourself on the respective drives, such as your listed "E:\BlueIrisAlerts" and "E:\BlueIris"?
Dear TonyR
For storage, I only use e:\new, as per recommendations from wittaj in a previous post (January 2022). No "Stored" or "Aux" locations are used. DB is on C: is that what you mean by nesting conventions?
I believe BI created the folders I use, but I'm not positive. What difference does that make if I made them manually?

System has been running for over a year now without configuration changes, so this couldn't be the cause of the problems as I see it.

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had this issue but a good while back, maybe over a year ago - my DB had gone a bit odd, a full DB rebuild sorted it all for me. If you look at the "Storage" tab in the BI status section, do you see anything odd (storage larger/smaller than what is really there/used) ?

Reaction score
I had this issue but a good while back, maybe over a year ago - my DB had gone a bit odd, a full DB rebuild sorted it all for me. If you look at the "Storage" tab in the BI status section, do you see anything odd (storage larger/smaller than what is really there/used) ?
Yeah, I did this after I deleted all the clips, which were too old. It sorted the size of used space out, so BI reports it correctly. I will see in a couple of days if the clips over 31 days are deleted as they should be.

Reaction score
Today everything works. 32 days old clips were deleted as configured. I still wonder about the reason, why it happened... guess it's just one of those things.

Dowd

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this issue, I deleted and regenerated the database and it cleared them out correctly after it was done.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Some wise man here once recommended to new folks not to use both days and size for best results. Use a size limit( like 8000GB). and uncheck the days option. the problem will take care of it self. Alledgedly.