BI has become unstable.

ffhamm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been having a lot of BI problems in the last couple of versions and reverting to earlier, stable versions hasn't helped.

I have had clips and alert disappear, I have lost the ability to delete clips, they show "protected" even though they shouldn't be, BI loses contact with server and freezes, rebooting when I click "OK" (service continues to work in the back ground) and often becomes unresponsive.

I have commanded BI to delete and rebuild the DB.
I have stopped the service and closed BI and deleted the DB.
I have reverted to the last stable version.
I have checked for updates on the system.
I have the latest Nvidia and Intel drivers

I am running windows 11 with a NVIDIA 3060 card and an i-7 12th gen and currently back on the latest BI beta. BI runs as a service in the background. And I am using Code project 2.0.8

Most of the errors seem to be DB related and are as follows:

Add to db failed 121 (this one just started showing up in the last few days)

5:7.0.5/1500/60
5.7.0.5/871/60
5.7.0.5/1500/80

I am sure something got screwed up since this is a new build PC. But it worked great up until 5.7.05, but reverting didnt make the problem go away.

Can anyone help a dummy out?

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its not clear, but have you actually deleted the entire folder the DB resides in, then let it rebuild.
Shut down BI, delete the DB folder, then restart BI and let it rebuild.
It's typically best to stick to only release's that are deemed stable.
Make certain you have properly excluded BI from any antivirus, including defender, as per the BI help file.

ffhamm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its not clear, but have you actually deleted the entire folder the DB resides in, then let it rebuild.
Shut down BI, delete the DB folder, then restart BI and let it rebuild.
It's typically best to stick to only release's that are deemed stable.
Make certain you have properly excluded BI from any antivirus, including defender, as per the BI help file.
I have shut down "start as service", shut down blue iris, went to task manager and made sure BI wasnt running as a service, then deleted the Blue iris DB folder and all files in the "new, alerts, stored and temp folders" then restarted BI. That fixes the problem where I cant delete files (for a little while) but the problem comes back. I reverted to a stable version and did this as well with the same results, so I reinstalled the latest.
BI is allowed in windows defender, and that is all I have running for antivirus.
I will attempt all of the above again.
Any Idea what those error codes mean?

THanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to exclude BI from antivirus.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I too have been seeing an uptick of DB-related problems within the last year. It was worst just after August/September 2022, because somewhere around Blue Iris 5.6.0.x, something broke and forced pretty much everyone to Repair/Regenerate their database. I also feel like there has been an increase of random DB bugs since then, where I haven't been able to identify a cause. I am not aware of any current widespread problems though, and I run 9 Blue Iris systems right now with several of them on relatively recent releases.

I think Blue Iris has long since outgrown its home-built proprietary database, and needs to begin using a mature database engine such as SQLite or UnQLite or postgres. This would offer 3 huge advantages:

1. Much less likely to become corrupted due to software (or hardware) crash.
2. DB rebuild, repair, compact would no longer prevent recordings from being made concurrently.
3. Blue Iris updates could modify the database structure with much less risk of bugs that corrupt people's databases, and much better backwards compatibility.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I too have been seeing an uptick of DB-related problems within the last year. It was worst just after August/September 2022, because somewhere around Blue Iris 5.6.0.x, something broke and forced pretty much everyone to Repair/Regenerate their database. I also feel like there has been an increase of random DB bugs since then, where I haven't been able to identify a cause. I am not aware of any current widespread problems though, and I run 9 Blue Iris systems right now with several of them on relatively recent releases.

I think Blue Iris has long since outgrown its home-built proprietary database, and needs to begin using a mature database engine such as SQLite or UnQLite or postgres. This would offer 3 huge advantages:

1. Much less likely to become corrupted due to software (or hardware) crash.
2. DB rebuild, repair, compact would no longer prevent recordings from being made concurrently.
3. Blue Iris updates could modify the database structure with much less risk of bugs that corrupt people's databases, and much better backwards compatibility.
Hopefully Ken will include a new database engine in future releases or BI6 if/when it gets released. My only real complaint with BI is that it stops recording when performing DB maintenance and the DB is too fragile and is easily corrupted. Have you suggested this to him?

@ffhamm Make sure you exclude the DB folder and any folder BI is saving recordings to from Windows Defender. Also, since you're running it as a service, did you provide BI with your Windows admin account credentials so it's not running as a local service?

ffhamm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hopefully Ken will include a new database engine in future releases or BI6 if/when it gets released. My only real complaint with BI is that it stops recording when performing DB maintenance and the DB is too fragile and is easily corrupted. Have you suggested this to him?

@ffhamm Make sure you exclude the DB folder and any folder BI is saving recordings to from Windows Defender. Also, since you're running it as a service, did you provide BI with your Windows admin account credentials so it's not running as a local service?
Yes, BI is not being scanned by antivirus. And BI has my admin credentials.
Everytime I wipe everything out (folders, service, change version etc) everything works great and I think Its dialed back in. Then, at some point. it loses connection to service with one of those errors I posted and gets all screwed up again.

Reaction score
Do you have BI set up to do auto DB maintenance? I accidently left that on when I upgraded my PC a few months ago and within a few days I was getting a bunch of DB errors. I never allow BI to do auto DB maintenance and I always do it manually. If it's on try turning it off and see if the issue goes away.

ffhamm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have BI set up to do auto DB maintenance? I accidently left that on when I upgraded my PC a few months ago and within a few days I was getting a bunch of DB errors. I never allow BI to do auto DB maintenance and I always do it manually. If it's on try turning it off and see if the issue goes away.
I did, I just shut it off. That may explain why most of the errors happen overnight when I am not looking. Ill follow up of it works.

ffhamm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did not work. Still loses connection to service. I still have to delete DB files oe rebuild DB in order to delete most clips because BI labels them as protected. This was never a problem in the past. But is now and I cannot think of any changes that I have made other than those I have tried to use to fix the problem.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Confirm that somewhere in the AI settings you are not marking clips as flagged.

Go thru each camera and all the profiles for each. It is real easy to accidentally select it on something.

ffhamm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had one camera that did flag. I disabled it and still for some reason all of my clips are protected. Something else that is going on is there are lots of new clips and they aren't combining into 12 hour or 4GB segments like they are directed to do and used to (maybe a clue as to what is going on?) Other than a few user initiated problems that I have worked through BI has been super great for the last 5 years or so that I have been using it, I am sure I messed something up somewhere if I am the only one having these issues. Although I would hate to set up everything again, I might have to consider a clean install. It seems to run all day, then sometime during the night it freezes and loses connection to service, Then the need to rebuild or delete the DB everyday to get rid of all the files is getting old.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does the windows error files point to anything?

While I haven't experience the same issue, I did have issues doing cut and combine at longer than 8 hours and 4GB, so maybe try dropping those. Many here do 1 hour increments.

Post the screenshots that show how you are allocating Alerts, New, and Stored.

The only other thing I can think of is a conflict there without enough free space on a drive to move or delete?

And if you are moving from NEW to STORED, try just leaving everything in NEW and do not move to STORED.

And maybe try with CodeProject turned off? There are still lots of problems people are having with it, especially the GPU versions and if you are not using the right CUDA or Nvidia it can be problematic - I don't think the most recent is the best in that situation.

ffhamm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BI keeps crashing, It will run stable for hours, then crash. Ive reverted to stable versions with no change, Still fighting this thing daily. Upgraded and downgraded the AI. Now on the latest BI and CodeProject since downgrading didnt fix it. Here is the latest crash windows log. I dont understand computer code and/or processes so maybe this will help someone in the know. I have several like this that read the same exception code.Screenshot 2023-04-23 091217.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
10 GB for new and 20GB for storage is like an hour or less of continuous recording. Even if only on triggers, that is still crazy small.