BI Alerts

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What determines if BI generated a alert with a video or with a picture? I get a mix currently. I am currently recording on all cameras full time and turned off snapshots off in BI camera settings. I will start testing the IOS app tomorrow but would prefer to be able to always have a snippet of video on the alert as almost 100% of the monitoring will be alert based and from the web / phone.

I have one 4231 and 6 2231 cams connected to BI on a i9-9400 with the GPU helping carry the load. This is my almost everything system so I am trying to use the cameras to do as much as possible. I am using the HW accelration otherwise standard system camera config. The on camera config is 25 fps, h.264 @1080p with motion detection setup on all and playing with tripwire on one. The BI cam config is generic/onvif with RTSP keep-alives, RTSP Stream timecode and ONVIF triggers with PullPoint.

Could ONVIF be triggering the pic even without BI consenting?

Thanks for any tips on where to look or the benefit of your experience.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What determines if BI generated a alert with a video or with a picture? I get a mix currently. I am currently recording on all cameras full time and turned off snapshots off in BI camera settings. I will start testing the IOS app tomorrow but would prefer to be able to always have a snippet of video on the alert as almost 100% of the monitoring will be alert based and from the web / phone.

I have one 4231 and 6 2231 cams connected to BI on a i9-9400 with the GPU helping carry the load. This is my almost everything system so I am trying to use the cameras to do as much as possible. I am using the HW accelration otherwise standard system camera config. The on camera config is 25 fps, h.264 @1080p with motion detection setup on all and playing with tripwire on one. The BI cam config is generic/onvif with RTSP keep-alives, RTSP Stream timecode and ONVIF triggers with PullPoint.

Thanks for any tips on where to look or the benefit of your experience.
Alerts are simply pointers to clips not images. You can also save a high res alert image, but its a waste and not needed.
If you are seeing an image you may have jpeg snapshot selected in your record tab.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alerts are simply pointers to clips not images. You can also save a high res alert image, but its a waste and not needed.
If you are seeing an image you may have jpeg snapshot selected in your record tab.
Thanks - Maybe it was an artifact from lots of changes, restarts of BI, restarts of cam, etc. Looking forward to seeing what appears on the IOS app.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or perhaps your storage is over allocated? I had an issue where my hard drive was showing a minus number in BI and I think that was causing some of my alerts to be stills.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ran into an issue last week where one of the newer versions showed the word "SNAPSHOT" on Alert clips triggered by camera ONVIF. I asked Ken (BI developer) about it and he said that was a display issue -- the alert was actually a video (as expected), it just said SNAPSHOT instead of what it would normally say to indicate it was a video. He released a newer version that day that fixed it. This looked to only happen on cameras that use ONVIF to trigger alerts.

I ran into another ONVIF-related issue with the recent releases where ONVIF was split into its own options (vs being considered EXTERNAL): my Alert actions (mostly send push notifications) stopped working on most of the cameras where I had BI setup to use ONVIF. Turned out there is a new ONVIF checkbox on the Alerts tab and it wasn't checked on a few of my cameras that are trigged by ONVIF. I was so used to ensuring the "EXTERNAL" checkbox was checked on that tab that I didn't notice the new (and very obvious) ONVIF checkbox. Derp.