Best PTZ camera for Wildlife

NLAnaconda

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I have built an offgrid remote controllable wildlife camera. It is powered by 12V 110AH deep cycle battery and has a directional antenna to a remote 4G mobile mast.
Currently the camera is a Foscam FI9928P which is complete trash. It says it can look forward (0 deg) but when you zoom in, it zooms to the ground.

So. I'm looking for a better camera to upgrade the installation.

I'm currently testing the Dahua DH-SD49425XB-HNR, which is a awesome upgrade compare to the Foscam but it is a little bit loud. It sounds like it has a fan inside or something. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my question is:
Im looking for the best PTZ cam for wildlife observation (forest)

The requirements are:
  • 12V powered (as energy efficient as possible :D )
  • A proper zoom (25 or more)
  • As quiet as possible (don't want to scare little Bambi)
  • Good night vision (100m or more)
  • Auto tracking (Love it if that is possible, but not a hard requirement)
  • H265+ Encoding (To save 4G data, I can handle max 700KB/s)
  • 1080P (or higher) 25fps

The budget is $1000.

Can you help me out? :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the 49425 and it sounds like R2D2 LOL. It isn't loud by any means, but it is a moving object, so you will hear some.

My neighbor has this one and is quieter than mine. I don't even remember hearing it right under it. As to it's worthiness for wildlife, let's see if someone has a better option.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

NLAnaconda

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 49425 and it sounds like R2D2 LOL. It isn't loud by any means, but it is a moving object, so you will hear some.

My neighbor has this one and is quieter than mine. I don't even remember hearing it right under it. As to it's worthiness for wildlife, let's see if someone has a better option.

I agree it isn't very loud. But I mean while it is not moving I still hear the thing. Like there is a fan inside or some electrical 'buzzing'. Don't know how to describe it.
A question about that PTZ1A225-HNR-XA , does the tracking also work for animals? Or is it only for humans/cars? The docs say "objects" So I think it can track animals.
I think the 'quietness' are the pro's of that one and the cons the worse image quality right? Hmmm hard to decide.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, there is a cooling fan in many of the PTZs.

It is the same sensor as what is in the 49425 so the image quality is the same, just a different style of PTZ that can look straight up LOL (unless you invert it).

The dahua cams AI are for humans and cars, but that can be overcome by creating another IVS for objects and then specify a minimum object size for what you want to track.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a replacement to my Reolink PTZ - but what's the quality of images at night in any of these above options or, indeed, any other PTZ cameras? The Reolink is appalling at night, though the daytime images are good (when it works - just started defaulting to factory settings every few hours!).

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had a Reolink PTZ RLC-423 (first PTZ in my life).. that was a few years back,
came here, read all the stories about Reolink... so i returned it and bought a Dahua SD59225U-HNI.

never looked back..

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had a Reolink PTZ RLC-423 (first PTZ in my life).. that was a few years back,
came here, read all the stories about Reolink... so i returned it and bought a Dahua SD59225U-HNI.

never looked back..
It was mine, too! However I didn't pop in here to realise the error of my ways until it was too late!!!!

NLAnaconda

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

As I'm the starter of this topic I will post a little update.
As stated I wanted to build an offgrid wildcam in the middle of the woods. Which, I can tell you, is a bit hard :)

The setup
Camera
: Dahua DH-SD49425XB-HNR
Batteries: 2x 110Ah 12V deep cycle batteries (used as a 24V setup)
Power supply: 410Wp Solar panel
MPPT controller: Victron 100/15
24V/12V converter: Victron Orion 24/12
Internet: Teltonika RUT240 4G modem with a directional antenna and an unlimited 4G internet subscription

The reason why I keep the main voltage at 24V is because the solar panel should load the batteries better, but also because I use 100m of wireing between the power source and the camera.
The voltage drop (cable resistance) at that distance for 12V is too high so I upped it to 24V and convert it back to 12V near the camera.

The settings
The camera cannot run at max settings because the internet connection cannot handle it. It is very hard to get a proper signal deep in the woods. I am limited to around 0.3 / 0.4Mbps (which is slow). That is why the H265+ encoding comes in place because with that encoding I get pretty good images.
This are the settings I use:

Encode mode: H.265
Smart codec: On
Resolution: 1920x1080 (1080P)
Framerate: 10 (A wildboar is not a F1 car ;) )
Bit Rate Type: VBR
Quality: 5
Max Bitrate: 2048

Because every "viewer" starts its own stream from the camera I cannot control the camera with the main stream.
The mainstream goes to Youtube. If I want to control the camera with the main stream it would open another connection and the internet connection will struggle and stop.
So I use the "sub stream" for controlling the camera.

The substream settings are:
Encode mode: H264H
Resolution: 704x576(D1)
Frame rate: 7
Bit Rate Type: CBR
Bit rate: 192
I Frame interval: 14
SVC: 2

Conclusion
For me it was hard to build this camera. I'm a complete noob to PTZ camera's, solar panels, or DC voltage. Also the extreme limited 4G coverage was hard. The provider marked the area as "no signal". But with a proper directional antenna I managed to get a (low) signal.
In the end I am very happy with the setup. It is now running 7 weeks without maintenance. Video is stable and a the wildlife doesn't give a sh*t about the camera.

A regional TV company contacted me to start a cooperation for a "nature" program they are going to make. So that was a big compliment.

gRCY0uU7YmizNKkm2Fop4mo5.jpg

M6jTaFlEuzG7n5YnpHZvXpht.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-19 at 11.40.27.jpeg

Wildlife images from stream:
reeen (Groot).jpg
Buizerd.png
ree.png
Edelhert.png
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-09 at 20.27.07.jpeg

Video fragments:

Keep in mind that this is with a max bandwith of around 400kbps. The camera can do a whole lot better. But still it is very good quality for that speed.

Baby boarsRabit around 50 m from camera
Bird of preyBadger under the camera
Male deer wants to have fun with female deerBig deer (rare in this area)

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you - very interesting set up!

Mine's relatively 'simple'; PTZ camera at end of 100 metres + 10 metres CAT6, overlooking a pond. Been working adequately for months; until this week! Fox took one look at camera in its early days and ran away, never to be seen again!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go with the 2MP version of the camera @NLAnaconda is using and never look back! The 4MP needs more light (double) than the 2MP version. The 2MP will give you better nighttime performance in the dark wilderness.

Purchase it from @EMPIRETECANDY here as his are the only ones that still have autotrack capabilities.

NLAnaconda

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @EMPIRETECANDY ,
I was first looking for the 2MP version but the shop said that the 4Mp was the newer version and I didn't think of it. I thought, 4 is better then 2: so good deal :p.
I am thinking about adding some extra floodlights as the solar panel is generating more than enough juice. But for now, I'm happy enough :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor.

If a camera is offered in two different resolutions and they are both on the same sensor, which is the case with the 49225 and 49425 PTZ, unless you have a ton of light, go with the lower MP....this is even more critical with a PTZ that will be PTZing across a wide range of differing light conditions at night. Especially if you want to try to force color at night.

Now you can overcome that with a lot of IR illuminator floodlights, but yeah for what you are doing, the 4MP works well.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Go with the 2MP version of the camera @NLAnaconda is using and never look back! The 4MP needs more light (double) than the 2MP version. The 2MP will give you better nighttime performance in the dark wilderness.

Purchase it from @EMPIRETECANDY here as his are the only ones that still have autotrack capabilities.

Thanks - that link gives me $121 just for postage :D - I'll have a look at the uk version. Cheers.

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm currently testing the Dahua DH-SD49425XB-HNR, which is a awesome upgrade compare to the Foscam but it is a little bit loud. It sounds like it has a fan inside or something. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my question is:
Im looking for the best PTZ cam for wildlife observation (forest)

The requirements are:
  • 12V powered (as energy efficient as possible :D )
  • A proper zoom (25 or more)
  • As quiet as possible (don't want to scare little Bambi)
  • Good night vision (100m or more)
  • Auto tracking (Love it if that is possible, but not a hard requirement)
  • H265+ Encoding (To save 4G data, I can handle max 700KB/s)
  • 1080P (or higher) 25fps

Where you able to get autotracking working with this camera for wildlife? If so, what settings did you use.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea, there is a cooling fan in many of the PTZs.

It is the same sensor as what is in the 49425 so the image quality is the same, just a different style of PTZ that can look straight up LOL (unless you invert it).

The dahua cams AI are for humans and cars, but that can be overcome by creating another IVS for objects and then specify a minimum object size for what you want to track.
I just purchased the SD49225XA-HNR. I am wanting to "track" my 125 lb Newfoundland dog around the fenced in backyard (80' x 100' x 80' and camera is mounted around 12 feet up on corner of the house). Can you provide some step by step directions on how to do this: creating another IVS for objects and then specify a minimum object size for what you want to track.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be correct. Unfortunately you cannot completely turn off the objects options, but you can trick it with the min size you want to track.