best IP camera ? + doorstation setup

stevieBE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello IP camera experts

I have been browsing the World Wide Web for a few days now to find the correct setup regarding IP camera surveillance. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and always try to find the right solution for an acceptable price.

My basic setup consists of parts from the Dahua brand
2 cameras at the front and rear of the house.
1 NVR
1 IP door station set.

FIRST a very important security issue.
you have Dahua and you have X-security both are identical just different brand. The seller of these cameras says that both are totally identical. But can this be trusted? both on 100% identical and on hacking software with an unknown brand? something I read on the cliff notes.

In terms of camera, I see that the IPC-HDW5231-ZE is often mentioned here. the specs certainly appeal to me but the only minus point is that this camera has no Alarm in/out.
QUESTION: is alarm in/out needed on the camera if you were to take an NVR with Alarm in/out connections?

with audio interface there is also only "built-in Mic". For some other Dahua models it says "1/1 channel in/out"
QUESTION: with the channel in/out does that mean that there is a built-in speaker or do you have to connect an external speaker?

The camera can only be placed at a height of 2.5 m at the front of the house.
QUESTION: Is it necessary to take the DB or DBW types from vandal proof?

Now about the NVR.
I read here that the best solution is to take a PoE injector and an NVR without PoE. Does that really make a difference? Somewhere else I have read something that with an NVR WITH PoE you have a more secure LAN. Can someone give me some more information about what the pros and cons are now. To what do I have to pay attention to at an NVR?

Then as a door station I would have liked the kit with the VTH1550CH monitor, the VTO2000A outdoor station and the special VTNS1060A switch.
QUESTION: How do I connect all the above items, 2 cameras, NVR and door station kit, so that I can also view the external cameras via my indoor VTH1550CH monitor and that those cameras also enter my NVR. Does anybody have experience with this ?

So that was it at the moment Hopefully you can find the time to help me with this.
Thanks in advance for this.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello IP camera experts

I have been browsing the World Wide Web for a few days now to find the correct setup regarding IP camera surveillance. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and always try to find the right solution for an acceptable price.

My basic setup consists of parts from the Dahua brand
2 cameras at the front and rear of the house.
1 NVR
1 IP door station set.

FIRST a very important security issue.
you have Dahua and you have X-security both are identical just different brand. The seller of these cameras says that both are totally identical. Q1.Can this be trusted? both on 100% identical and on hacking software with an unknown brand? something I read on the cliff notes.

In terms of camera, I see that the IPC-HDW5231-ZE is often mentioned here. the specs certainly appeal to me but the only minus point is that this camera has no Alarm in/out.
Q2.QUESTION: is alarm in/out needed on the camera if you were to take an NVR with Alarm in/out connections?

with audio interface there is also only "built-in Mic". For some other Dahua models it says "1/1 channel in/out"
Q3.QUESTION: with the channel in/out does that mean that there is a built-in speaker or do you have to connect an external speaker?

The camera can only be placed at a height of 2.5 m at the front of the house.
Q4.QUESTION: Is it necessary to take the DB or DBW types from vandal proof?

Now about the NVR.
I read here that the best solution is to take a PoE injector and an NVR without PoE. Does that really make a difference? Somewhere else I have read something that with an NVR WITH PoE you have a more secure LAN. Can someone give me some more information about what the pros and cons are now. To what do I have to pay attention to at an NVR?

Then as a door station I would have liked the kit with the VTH1550CH monitor, the VTO2000A outdoor station and the special VTNS1060A switch.
Q5.QUESTION: How do I connect all the above items, 2 cameras, NVR and door station kit, so that I can also view the external cameras via my indoor VTH1550CH monitor and that those cameras also enter my NVR. Does anybody have experience with this ?

So that was it at the moment Hopefully you can find the time to help me with this.
Thanks in advance for this.
Welcome Belgium, the land of chocolat and fries ;)

I have labeled your questions to facilitate replies on this topic.
Q1. If there is absolotely no price difference - I would go for Dahua Original. Not only to avoid IF they would have fliggled in the firmware, but at least you can fall back to original Dahua Firmwares. If there is a price difference, I do advice to consult @EMPIRETECANDY - he provides great service, price and (still probably tax-free) fast shipping, also to Belgium. Price was VERY compelling when comparing to "original Dahua shops" in Belgium...
Q2. Either you provide the appropriate cabling from each cam to your "alarm" system, then you can use these Alarm IOs, however you can indeed use the NVR's IOs.
Q3. No, if the specifications page does not mention a mic and/or speaker, there is no mic and/or speaker. Many cams (eg HFW/HBW) do have these mic in/out plugs, but they are for hooking up external mics. For example: this one does have an internal mic built-in: EOL: 4MP IR 3.6mm IP Mini Eyeball – Dahua North America
Q4. I also investigated that particular use case, 2.5m is actually quite high, and an HDW would be enough (except if burglars throw bricks at it). I personally went for the full blown HDBW type, as price-wise it wasn't worth the time investigation :)
Q5. Have a look at [Review] VTO2000A & VTH1550CH & VTNS1060A Intercom Kit - it explains, over 400 pages, the full setup I went through. In a nutshell: VTO + VTH go on the VTNS switch. The latter uses an uplink to your internet router/switch/modem. If your network is "flat", you can enter additional IPC's/NVR/.. on the VTH screen, and you can add each channel of your NVR to that VTH. Also reverse: you can add VTO devices in your NVR (but they'll use an IPC license on your NVR - so if you have selected a 4 cam NVR, together with your 2 other cams, you cannot connect any other cam anymore).

Hope this helps you out, if not: shoot!
CC

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Bicycle Cobbles and drink beer !

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper , AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan