Benefits of SSD for OS and mechanical for storage?

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just trying to work out the pros and cons for having two disks instead of the one. At the moment, I am running BI on a 4tb WD RED drive. It operates fine and I am happy with everything.

However, I am trying to work out for longevity of the system, what is the PROS and CONS of having windows 10 installed on a SSD drive (say a 128GB or 256GB) and then having ALL videos stored and retained on the mechanical disk?

I've currently got 6x cameras running and getting around 15 days storage. I am planning on upgrading to like a 8-10tb drive in the next few months once pricing comes down a bit to get additional retention.

Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

However, I am trying to work out for longevity of the system, what is the PROS and CONS of having windows 10 installed on a SSD drive (say a 128GB or 256GB) and then having ALL videos stored and retained on the mechanical disk?
All "PROS" for having Win 10 on the SSD along with the Blue Iris program and the BI "db" folder, then all BI video clips on the HDD.

You'll see a substantial improvement in O/S boot time, performance AND in BI performance when optimized.